My first 5K today!

I am walking my first 5K today! I have been practicing for a while now. Yeah I know it is a little sad that I had to work up to walking a 5K, but I did it. I am so nervous though. I am not sure what to expect. This is just a 5K walk for charity, no runners. I am walking with a friend so that will help, I have figured that it will take me an hour at the pace I walk. Do you think that will be really slow compared to people who generally walk these races? I just don't want to look like an idiot. Even more so I hope that I was told correctly that a 5K was 3.2 mile :ohwell:

Replies

• ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    I am walking my first 5K today! I have been practicing for a while now. Yeah I know it is a little sad that I had to work up to walking a 5K, but I did it. I am so nervous though. I am not sure what to expect. This is just a 5K walk for charity, no runners. I am walking with a friend so that will help, I have figured that it will take me an hour at the pace I walk. Do you think that will be really slow compared to people who generally walk these races? I just don't want to look like an idiot. Even more so I hope that I was told correctly that a 5K was 3.2 mile :ohwell:
  • First off a 5k is 3.2miles... also most 5k's are walked by all kinds of people fast and slow... some people do it for the charity... some people do it to socialize... and some do it for fitness... If you have been practicing then you will most likely not be the slowest... and even if you are it doesn't matter because you are doing it... you are out there and walking... just think of how many people are sitting at home on their butts today while you are getting in a good workout and helping charity... cudos to you

Jenn
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    COngrats!!!!!!!!!!! How awesome!!!!! There is an old railroad track here that they have converted like 100 miles of it into a paved trail- and people walk/roller blade/bike/jog etc when the weather is warm... There is a place we can 'get on' by our house- and if we walk to the downtown of the city we live in and back its about 3 miles. Everytime we always push ourselves to make it in under the time we did before. We always have kids with us- so sometimes we have stops that take up some time (ie diaper change. or a bottle made or one falls off their bike) but usually we make it in between 1 hour and 1 hour30 minutes. You totally can do it- and i really doubt you'll be the slowest ones there! GOod luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    wow, good for you. you should be proud of your accomplishment. i would not worry about being the slowest. the slowest is the couch potato sitting at home, definitely not you! have fun and remember, you're doing something good for your body, mind and soul when you do races for charity. it makes you feel good in so many ways :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I think that will be about normal pace for a fun walk.

Have fun!
  • You'll be awesome I did my first one last September I was so worried that I couldn't do it..but it was great so many people are there you'll be motivated by them and have no issues.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Don't worry how slow you go. You are doing it and that is more than most people do. Be proud of yourself for getting this far and enjoy your 5k. Congrats !!!:drinker: