5K in 34:09... Sigh...

I finished my first 5k race in 34:09 yesterday. I guess it didn't help that the trail was through the woods and was filled with mud and puddles. (There is nothing worse than running with squishy wet shoes!)

I thought I was doing well and was somewhat dissapointed when I saw the race clock at the finish line. But hey, I guess I have a baseline to compare future races to, right?

I just can't help but feel a little embarassed about my time. My goal was to run a 5 mile race in August. Now I am worried that I won't be able to make this goal :frown:

Thanks for listening. It is so nice to know that there are people out there who take the time to read these posts :flowerforyou:

Replies

• His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    I finished my first 5k race in 34:09 yesterday. I guess it didn't help that the trail was through the woods and was filled with mud and puddles. (There is nothing worse than running with squishy wet shoes!)

I thought I was doing well and was somewhat dissapointed when I saw the race clock at the finish line. But hey, I guess I have a baseline to compare future races to, right?

I just can't help but feel a little embarassed about my time. My goal was to run a 5 mile race in August. Now I am worried that I won't be able to make this goal :frown:

Thanks for listening. It is so nice to know that there are people out there who take the time to read these posts :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Why are you so embarrassed by it??? You should be proud of yourself for doing it and finishing it!! Just keep training...I don't see why you could not do the 5 mile race in August. Good luck to you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    wow better than i could do right now lol
    that is awsome and as you said there was mud and puddles so that adds to it. and as you also said you have a base line to go by and next time you will be fitter and maybe weather on your side.

good luck in august you will be great. i am planing to do a duathalone next year maybe will have to see if i can ride my hubby's bike so might need to do some bike training soon. when i hit my next weight target ill start lol
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Fantastic.:flowerforyou: It takes me that long to do 1 mile on the treadmill.:blushing: Keep up the good work. We' ll be rootin for u in August.:drinker:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member

I think your time is great! I am on the treadmill regularly and that is better than a 12 min mile for more than 3 miles! Big kudos to you for even getting off the couch to do it! How many people aren't even trying because they're afraid of not finishing? (How was that adrenaline rush at the end of the race, btw?:wink: ) Don't be disappointed. Just be proud. :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    a 34 minutes cross country 5K is pretty damn good for your first one girl (pardon my french:tongue: )! I'd say be very proud of it. I'll bet if you did a 5K on a road, you'd shave 3 or 4 minutes off that time easy (maybe more considering the wet conditions)!

Great work!
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Wholy crap! That is awesome!:drinker:

Running is hard! You can soooooo do a 5 mile in Aug! You go girl!:flowerforyou:

I've been struggeling the last week with running. So I understand the frustration. However, I am one who always looks for the silver linning, and I am just pround to be out there even tho it's a struggle, even tho I am dragging my a**! It's all good because I'm out there doing it. If not, I'd be a fat cow on the sofa. So Good for you, powering thru a 5K!:flowerforyou:
  • I have been running for about 15 years and my time has never been that good!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    That is a great time! Actually, my motto is on your first race any time is a great time when you cross the finish line.

And as for the 5 miles in August, you will do it with no problem. You will probably be able to do more!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    If you think your time is bad, just remember that there are most likely a bunch of people who didn't even finish ;)
    Great job!
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Girl, that's not bad! I'm doing the couch-to-5K thing as of last week, and if I do my first 5K in 34 minutes I'll be pretty happy! Plus, running on trail has got to be harder than on pavement.

I say good job, and just keep working at it if you want to be even faster.
  • Wow... that's awesome... I am still working on getting under a 15 min mile:grumble: ... I got passed by a turtle yesterday:noway: ... lol... but seriously you are doing great... and august is 3 months away... that's plenty of time to train...
    YOU GO GIRL... ROCK THAT RUN...:drinker:
    Jenn
  • Wow awesome! I wish I could run a 5k in 34 minutes.. Don't be so hard on yourself, Kel! I can hardly jog for 15 minutes now. Just look how far you've come. The best part is that you completed it and you have motivated me to keep working at it and *maybe* someday I will get to where you are. So celebrate! This is just one of many accomplishments that you have earned on your road to a fit and healthy life. I am sure that by August you will be able to finish the 5 mile! :flowerforyou: