calculating serving size

memeburke
memeburke Posts: 65
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Hi Everyone,
I have made a chicken veggie soup. Sort of a Minestrone and I add a little boneless chicken pieces.
I have lost 20lbs since Sept. 11th, and I kind of got it stuck in my head that its the soup thats doing it for me.
My problem is trying to chart it. I've got it to 870 calories per pot, which is approx. 12 servings. I've divided the 12 into 870, but I can't figure how to make the chart come out to about 72 cal. per. serving? Am I stupid, or do I need another coffee to wake up this morning?

Replies

• Hi Everyone,
    I have made a chicken veggie soup. Sort of a Minestrone and I add a little boneless chicken pieces.
    I have lost 20lbs since Sept. 11th, and I kind of got it stuck in my head that its the soup thats doing it for me.
    My problem is trying to chart it. I've got it to 870 calories per pot, which is approx. 12 servings. I've divided the 12 into 870, but I can't figure how to make the chart come out to about 72 cal. per. serving? Am I stupid, or do I need another coffee to wake up this morning?
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    If I am understanding right, this is what I think you should do.
    When you enter the food into the database enter it as 1 serving, and then where it asks # of servings- put 12. And the number of calories you would enter would be per serving, so you put in 72, not 870.
    And when you have a bowl, just put that you had 1 serving. Does that make any sense?
    I hope that helps with your question. :huh:
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    memeburke-

how are you making a chicken veggie soup with 72 calories a serving? have you/will you post the recipe? Sounds great!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    memeburke-

how are you making a chicken veggie soup with 72 calories a serving? have you/will you post the recipe? Sounds great!!!:flowerforyou:

I agree with denmother46, this sounds REALLY good. Please post this recipe so that I can give it a try. I love eating soup.:wink: And so does my kids and my boyfriend.

Naj:flowerforyou:
  • denmother46
    Naj,

I'm with you!! I love soup especially in the winter. The only problem is is that since I've joined MFP and I'm actually looking at what goes into the food I'm eating, most soup has become a big no go!!. Canned soup is really high is sodium and if you look at calorie counters for restaurants soups they are also really high is sodium AND fat. Forget about the dry packaged stuff:noway:

I am always looking up soup recipes on various websites and they frequently have "short cuts" and use canned broth. Even the low sodium ones arent great.

Really hoping to see memeburkes recipe!!
  • Hi everyone,
    I sure hope I did the nutritional stuff right. I believe I put it in the foods not listed .If you can't find it under moms chicken soup or homemade- chicken vegetable soup, let me know and I will post it when I have more time. Shirley
  • Celery - Raw, 1 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long)
    Tomatoes - Crushed, canned, 200 g 64 15 1 3
    Squash - Summer, zucchini, includes skin, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 1 cup slices
    Vegetables - Mixed (corn, lima beans, peas, green beans, carrots) canned, no salt added, 2 cup
    Soup - Chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, 2 cup
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, stewed, 2 cup, chopped or diced
    Onions - Cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 1 cup
    Spinach - Canned, regular pack, solids and liquids, 1 cup

This is just one version of the recipe, these vegetables can be changed according to your preferences or availability.
    I sometimes add about a 1/2 Cup of pasta to the entire recipe.
    To get the Nutrition Facts use the database to look up my screen name of Memeburke Chicken Soup.

Hope that helps!
  • Celery - Raw, 1 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long)
    Tomatoes - Crushed, canned, 200 g 64 15 1 3
    Squash - Summer, zucchini, includes skin, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 1 cup slices
    Vegetables - Mixed (corn, lima beans, peas, green beans, carrots) canned, no salt added, 2 cup
    Soup - Chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, 2 cup
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, stewed, 2 cup, chopped or diced
    Onions - Cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 1 cup
    Spinach - Canned, regular pack, solids and liquids, 1 cup

This is just one version of the recipe, these vegetables can be changed according to your preferences or availability.
    I sometimes add about a 1/2 Cup of pasta to the entire recipe.
    To get the Nutrition Facts use the database to look up my screen name of Memeburke Chicken Soup.

Hope that helps!
  • Petal
    Petal Posts: 27
    Hi and thanks for the soup... sounds delish:smile:
  • You are very welcome, unfortunately it may take a while for Fitness Pal to review the recipe and add it to the database.. but for now here are the Nutrition Facts:

Recipe (12 cups ea.)
    Serving(s) (1 cup ea.)
    Calories 72
    Sodium 315 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Saturated 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Total Carbs 4 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 9 g
    Cholesterol 18 mg
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Calcium 4 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Iron 0 %
  • denmother46
    Thanks memeburke!! Are you using low sodium canned tomatoes and broth to get 312g sodium per serving?
This discussion has been closed.