weight loss/hair loss? 's

I've lost 77lbs in 6months and about 2months ago. I noticed my hair thinning and loosing my hair. Is this happening to anyone else? Is it common?

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    suggests your not getting enough nutrients? though could be other reasons. possibly a visit to the doctors?
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    This may be a sign that your thyroid is in some kind of distress, or you are having a severe vitamin deficiency. I've heard of this happening when people drop weight quickly. My sister dropped a lot of weight (she was doing Medi-Fast) and her hair was falling out.... thinned really bad.

What does your daily meal plan look like?

Call your dr. :)
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    I have found the same. not enough nutrients. Upping fat in your diet usually helps. But also see your doctor to be sure there is nothing else going on.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    It could be several things....a insufficent protein intake and thyroid dysfunction are the biggest ones. A trip to your Health care provider is needed. How much hair have you lost or losing?
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Yes, it happened to me too. It is pretty common if you lose a lot of weight really fast. I lost 60 in 6 months. Make sure you are eating lots of veggies and fruit. Take some Biotin to help it grow back. Call your doc and have them run some tests.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    It happens
    when your body uses up a lot of energy it will use the nutrition it it would normally use for hairgrowth

you need vitamin B complex

or just get one of those hair growth supplements.... they have vitamin B and all other nutrition you need to maintain healthy hair
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    First off congrats on your loss. There can be many reasons for hair loss, but assuming your overall health is good I would lean towards lack of protein and nutrients being the cause.

I don't know specifics about your situation, but I do know that when I used to attend bariatric surgery support meetings one of the biggest complains from female patients was hair loss. Without exception, both the surgeon and the nutritionist would suggest higher protein intake and vitamins to prevent/combat this.

With all that said, go see your doctor :happy:
  • fitnessjess100
    fitnessjess100 Posts: 5 Member
    My calorie intake is around 1,500. I work out 5 to 6 day's out of the week. 2 days out of the week heavy weight lifting and cardio.
    My Doctor said hair loss is normal due to the use of hairspray. But he didn't run any test. And I'm still worried...I take one a day multi vitamins and iron pills.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    It is very common during rapid weight loss, the best way to prevent it is to get enough protein!!

Next best option is taking Biotin.

Best of luck!!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    I have been losing my hair too but I had a baby 5 months ago, I'm nursing, taking vitamins still I'm not sure what the issue is. Thinking a visit to the doctor is in order for me too. I hope it is something simple for the both of us.
  • BirchBayLady
    BirchBayLady Posts: 17 Member
    Yes, I lost 60 pounds on MediFast in about 9 months. It started falling out at about 50 pounds. I was having some other medical issuess at the time as well so I wasn't sure if it was the diet or the medical issues, both of which have been known to cause hair loss. I started taking big doses of Biotin, and now, about a year later, it has started growing back in. I had to cut back on the dieting, add back in some fat, and keep up with the biotin. It was very thin, but it's all good now.

Good luck.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    I've lost 77lbs in 6months and about 2months ago. I noticed my hair thinning and loosing my hair. Is this happening to anyone else? Is it common?

I don't think that is good at all! Or typical. You should consider a trip to the doctor to get that sorted out. Make sure it not some thyroid problem or other deficiency.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    The same happened to me. Turns out that fat cells produce estrogen, and the weight loss resulted in lower estrogen levels producing hair loss.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    When I cut waaay down on fat intake, I had hair loss too. Stopped worrying about it, just eating healthy all over and switching to healthy fats, and still lost weight at a happy easy pace and stopped losing my hair. I also added in lots and lots of veggies, which may have helped with missing nutrients.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    When I cut waaay down on fat intake, I had hair loss too. Stopped worrying about it, just eating healthy all over and switching to healthy fats, and still lost weight at a happy easy pace and stopped losing my hair. I also added in lots and lots of veggies, which may have helped with missing nutrients.

I would take prenatal vitamins that should help and give you the iron and b vitamins (which includes Biotin)you may be missing as well. I took prenatals until I started menopause they are great little vitamins and have everything you need at a reasonable. price. I have hari loss as well due to Thyroid and Menopause and I have been using Invati by Aveda on my hair and I am now growing hair back that I had lost. Be patient I know how scarey it is to lose hair you can get it to come back
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Are you on a BC pill or similar? I started to lose my hair because of it (and gaining weight) and I discovered it's one of the most common side effects. However, since is not really considered a health issue, USDA doesn't ask pill companies to write it in the drug facts.

Just my 2 cents!!!

BTW, super congratulations for your big lost!!! :flowerforyou:
  • A lot of things can cause this. If it has come on out of nowhere since you began losing weight it would suggest to me that you are not getting proper balanced nutrition. This could be a vitamin deficiency or lack of essential fats or proteins in your diet. Thyroid complications and PCOS can lead to sudden hair loss also. Mine is from PCOS, but it definitely isn't sudden and hasn't gotten worse since I started dieting. If this really has been recent you should go to your doc and get a quicky physical just to be sure you aren't over taxing yourself.
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    This is a very common concern for women when they lose weight quickly. Make sure you are getting your daily nutrition.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    I have been losing my hair too but I had a baby 5 months ago, I'm nursing, taking vitamins still I'm not sure what the issue is. Thinking a visit to the doctor is in order for me too. I hope it is something simple for the both of us.

Just a thought for you because you mentioned just having a baby. Everyone loses hair on a daily basis that replaces itself. From my understanding during pregnancy less hair falls out than for the average person because of all of the wacky stuff going on in your body. Hence a lot of women find they have nice thick hair during pregnancy. Once you have the baby and your body starts to regulate you may find that more hair than normal will fall out. After I had my baby I could run my hands through my hair and 10-15 stands would easily come out. Washing my hair seriously grossed me out because of how much hair would get wrapped around my fingers. It was only like that for a few months and then it balanced back out to normal. So my understanding is that extra hair loss is normal after giving birth,but if you are concerned don't be afraid to talk to your doctor.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    I have the same problem right now. My hair is/was super super thick and now it is falling out like crazy and thinning! I do not have insurance and can not go to the doctor so I guess I will either start taking a multi vitamin or something. I have been growing my hair out for the first time in 10 years and go figure, it starts thinning. I guess I will cut it back to shorter again so the thinning is not so noticeable! I started my weight loss mid Jan and it did not start till about 3 weeks ago!