New York, what should I do

CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
Anyone been to new york? What should I do while I'm there?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Pizza tourism.

Luzzo's
    DiFara's
    Patsy's

ETA: in fact, all of your calories should come from pizza and bagels while you're there. :bigsmile:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    I've been twice and I loved it! What I loved most was going to the top of the Empire State building (went late at night and seeing all the lights was really cool- skip the little Skyride thingy though- it totally sucks and made everyone in my little group feel at least a little queasy), Broadway plays- I saw Phantom of the Opera and Wicked. Wicked is ah-mazing! I loved it. Also rode the Staten Island ferry- also at night to see all the lights and the Statue of Liberty all lit up. Ummm we went during the summer and went to a few street fairs which were so much fun! And checked out some farmers' markets...we did a few other tourist-y things too, but I can't remember specifics. Bought a metro card and took the subway everywhere. We had a great map and after a couple of mistakes the first day we didn't get lost again lol. Oh, don't forget Times Square, Grand Central Station, Macy's and Bloomingdales! Coney Island is fun too- lots of interesting people, but the beach/ water is not so good. Oh, both times I've gone we do the Circle Cruise line thingy. It's a little cruise around the whole island and is actually pretty fun and interesting. Lots of people and walking around, but it's soooo much fun! Enjoy your trip!
  • NewMeTomG
    NewMeTomG Posts: 59 Member
    For the past five years we've gone to New York for the US Open and stayed with a local who lived in Manhattan.

What made it nice for us is she showed us how to use the subway and marked places to go off the beaten path for us so we could avoid the "touristy" areas.

Personally, my favorite part of town is the East Village around NYU. Given your age, it will be the perfect crowd to hang with.

Also, we'd always hit Chinatown for a knock-off purse in hidden back rooms.

Central Park is a must. The first time, it was cool to see Times Square.

There's my two cents from a traveler who prefers the local crowd to the tourists.

G
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPDRnUWeBA

But in reality, you should probably check out the Living Room on a Monday night. Jim Campilongo, one of the world's premier Telecaster players, plays there almost every Monday night. I think entry is still just $7 too.

Check out the speakeasy SL. Bring your AmEx black card.

Shopping. There's tons to do in terms of shopping almost anywhere and at most budgets.
    -wtk
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    For the past five years we've gone to New York for the US Open and stayed with a local who lived in Manhattan.

What made it nice for us is she showed us how to use the subway and marked places to go off the beaten path for us so we could avoid the "touristy" areas.

Personally, my favorite part of town is the East Village around NYU. Given your age, it will be the perfect crowd to hang with.

Also, we'd always hit Chinatown for a knock-off purse in hidden back rooms.

Central Park is a must. The first time, it was cool to see Times Square.

There's my two cents from a traveler who prefers the local crowd to the tourists.

G

Sound like a NY'er at heart!

As a native New Yorker I, too, would recommend avoiding the tourist traps... First and foremost, wear comfortable shoes... and like Tom recommended, if you like real neighborhoods... check out Chinatown/Little Italy... check out Central Park... there are a million museums, if you so desire... and I'd say take a trip into Brooklyn... maybe the Bklyn Botanical Gardens... Brooklyn Heights (go to the Promenade... great views of Manhattan)... and take a trip on the Staten Island Ferry (it's a 20 minute trip... will take you past the Statue of Liberty and close to the Verrazano Bridge - and it's free!)
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Eat pizza, and hang out with my wife? Idk. She just landed in NY about an hour ago ha ha.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    There are some great art museums like the Guggenheim and Museum of Modern Art.

You could go to a Broadway show.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    I've never been but I really want to go and see the September 11th memorial site. Not to bring down the mood at all, but I just really want to see it.

ETA: You have to reserve a pass ahead of time but they are free.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    A Broadway Show or don't bother coming back.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Broadway... right now newsies is playing - I am dying to see that.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Lived in New York until 7 years ago- there's so much to do!
    Broadway shows, museums, ferry rides, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park just to name a few.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    I'm heading there in august too so this is a good thread!
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    I live in NYC and could recommend a TON of things to do. Feel free to friend me and let me know what types of things you like so I can make better suggestions.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    I've been many times. In no particular order, go to the Empire State Building, the new World Trade Center and the memorial at Ground Zero ( you need a pass from the online site). Take in a show on Broadway, see Times Square (at night), huge choices of museums, eat just about anyplace away from Times Square (lots of great restaurants), walk through part of Central Park, see the Statue of Liberty. Chinatown, Washington Square, South Street Seaport. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. See the UN. Go to Rockafeller Center and stand outside of the Today Show holding a sign early in the morning or go down to GMA on Times Square. Take the CNN tour.

Its a great walkable city in short spurts but be prepared to get around via the local transportation,,,,the taxi. There is a secret to the NY subway system.....its a secret (LOL!).

The list above would take a week to enjoy comfortably. Have a great time.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Basebal Game!
    Broadway!
    Double Decker Bus Tour!

So much to do.

I had such a great time in New York. I went to some amazing restaurants as well...a cool restaurant was Mars 2112. You take a 'space shuttle' to get there...and all the servers were dressed as aliens! haha
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    oh God there's so much! lol. Anyone have a good recommendation for 'must try' food?

So far the only plan is to see phantom of the opera. I've wanted to see it since I was a kid.
  • Bergdorf's
    Stroll Around Central Park
    Bellini's at Ciprianis

...**Perfect Day** sigh lol
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Bergdorf's
    Stroll Around Central Park
    Bellini's at Ciprianis

...**Perfect Day** sigh lol

Did you have a good date that did all this haha?
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    All the stuff mentioned here is good. May I also recommend the music or stand up comedy scene. There are plenty of live entertainment venues to check out. Stand up comedy is the best here, and as far as music the Bowery and Blue Note were fun. I just walked the Brooklyn bridge, got some Pizza at Grimaldis, which is a nice afternoon. Central Park is nice, and with summer here, there are concerts and street performers to check out.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    You will have a good time if you just go to Central Park with a book and a blanket and sit around and people watch all day!

My son lives at West Point, which is a very cool place especially if you like history. Yesterday we went for a walk and ended up in the cemetary. We visited many famous grave sites: General Custer was the most ritzy one. The trees there were so beautiful too! Some of them were over 200 yrs. old.

The last time I was here son took us to a base ball game at City Park. That was so fun and I don't even like sports!

There are SO MANY great museums. Plus the stuff everybody does: go to Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building (when I went there the line was so long :( ) Shopping!

I love taking the kids to the Hershey Store (dangerous though....lots of CHOCOLATE!)

You could stand in front of Good Morning America's camara and wave. lol.

So many things to do. You'll find lots and have a great time!

OH: One time we took a horse n buggy ride, it was at night, freezing cold near Christmas but we were all cuddly in the buggy with a big blanket. Anyway that was so fun! I didn't think I'd like it, but I did! I loved it! The driver pointed out differant places,,,like the hotel in Home Alone movie was filmed and places where differant movies were made.