Working out

Options
I don't know what to do!! Ok here the deal ,I have a big problem working out. I mean I start for one week and then the next week i get lazy and don't work out at all. So how can i say motived to work out? I don't like the gym, I think it a waste of money and I don't have anybody to work out with. So what do I do????:frown:

Replies

• brittanymt19
    brittanymt19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to do!! Ok here the deal ,I have a big problem working out. I mean I start for one week and then the next week i get lazy and don't work out at all. So how can i say motived to work out? I don't like the gym, I think it a waste of money and I don't have anybody to work out with. So what do I do????:frown:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Goin to the gym is a mindset change.... Last yr I started working out by myself and I was going crazy bored... and I stopped for bout 6mos... I just restarted going, and I had to do it becasue I wanted to lose the weight.. So I get my butt up and go. Also the more you workout the more calories you are able to eat! That should motivate anyone... it worked for me.
    Now bout an hour or so after I get up I'm at the gym. Once I get it done and over it, it's so much better.. I feel better too. Think of your motivation is being smaller and healthier within time.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hey there! I'm not going to the gym either....not by choice but it can get boring too...so here's some stuff I do....

I go for power walks, jogs, I dance, I do turbo jam and tae bo videos, I lift weights (dumbbells 5-10lbs) hikes are also good....do what you like and you'll stick w/ it longer!

good luck and there is no rules in changing things up ya know...so one week do the gym, the next day do outdoors stuff, the next a video...do what you like!!!
    hugs,
    Ali
  • hearts3134
    Options
    I have had that problem too. What has been helping for me is having *designated* days during the week to go to the gym. My days are Monday and Wednesday. I have a 3 year old daughter, so I know those are the two days I am definitely not going to be the person to pick her up from daycare, and I'll have plenty of time to spend there without being too rushed. I also know the other days I won't have that luxury and I force myself to go, even if I don't do an awful lot, because I know I won't get the chance any other days of the week.

Also this time of year it's getting nicer outside and I put her in the stroller and neighborhood walk with my pedometer on to count my miles and calories.

It has also helped *A LOT* to see here on MFP how many more calories I earn from my exercise!

Good luck! It takes tons of determination but you can do it!
    :bigsmile:
  • lacy100
    lacy100 Posts: 19
    Options
    The gym is not a waste of money if you use it. :tongue: I was just like you! For years I had a gym membership, but wasn't using it.

I changed my perspective on it. For one, I got a personal trainer. (Only for a few weeks because it can be expensive.) I told the trainer what exercises I liked, and those that I hated, and the trainer sculpted a plan that worked with what I can handle. Also, the trainer taught me the proper ways to use the equipment to get the most out of it. I also learned excercises that I would have never thought of!

Another aspect of the gym that I love is group excersise class. It's awesome! My favorites are: cardio kickboxing, spin, power pump (lifting light weight, lots of reps to good music) and yoga. The classes push me to do more, but are a ton of fun.

You should talk a girlfriend into getting a membership with you! When you start seeing and feeling the results, it won't be so hard to get yourself to the gym. :flowerforyou:
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    do what you like and you'll stick w/ it longer!

I definitely agree! I hate the gym also, and know I wouldn't stick with it. I've been bike riding and walking and have recently added jogging (not very far lol), but I know I stay with these because I enjoy them.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "finding something you like to do, and then you'll stick to it." I've been doing turbo jam...and actually look forward to doing it! On days when I don't feel like working out, I tell myself I'll just do 20 mins of the video and do it slowly and not as intense, but then I start...and I just keep going!
    Also, Spring is finally here...and I LOVE to play tennis! I implore you to try different sports and activities outdoors...I always seem to go longer when I'm outside!
    Good luck!! I'm sure you can over some this...you got it girl!!
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I go for walks. I take my dog and we take a different route each time. I also distract myslef with music or if you take a friend who you can talk for hours with, you don't even notice you're walking. I can go for an hour most days and its not a chore anymore. I try walk up as many hills as I can too.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What I did was went to a second hand sport shop and bought 5lb and 10 weights. I also bought a medicine ball and a jump rope. So when I dont feel like going to the gym I cant work out at home!!Good Luck!! Remember that this is not a quick fix this is a lifestyle. So you will have to take babysteps and stick with it:happy: