3 month NO Coffee experiment results...

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    interesting. I too have cut down on coffee tremendously. I still have a cup at breakfast and a cup at lunch.
    Have you heard anything about Tea? Does it also have a similar effect on weight ?

According to the lady I spoke to tea does not have the same affect. She said it is not the caffeine that reacts with the hormones but something else in the coffee. That scuppered my plan of moving onto decaf!

My sis is a biochemist and did 10+ years of research at a major pharma co. before she had her kids.
    Oddly enough she found that while decaf contains no cholesterol in it it elevates your cholesterol levels, regular coffee did not do this.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Meh, I like my coffee, and I usually like it black. When I go into town for things like shopping, I like me a good chai latte to go walk around with. Only time I gave up coffee completely was when I was pregnant and initially nursing, and that was just because my hormones made me throw it all up two seconds after it touched my lips. Granted, I don't drink a lot, usually a cup or two, and that's not even every day, so my giving it up wouldn't have a huge impact, especially since I usually don't add creamer, and never add sugar.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Interesting study. You said you gave up other things cold turkey at the same time. What were those other things? Have you started those again too? Could those other things have an effect on your observations?

I only ask because I've done something similar in the past but I drink my coffee black and I saw no changes due to eliminating from my diet (other than I had those horrible withdrawal symptoms :laugh: ).

Excellent...no, Most EXCELLENT question! I gave up completely:

Sugar

Dairy

Meats (chicken, lamb, pork, beef everything except fish & poll/troll caught tuna)

Junk foods (chips, fast foods, fried foods, most things that came in a box or bag--ya know, empty HIGH calorie stuff)
    Sweets (brownies, homemade cakes/pies)

I restarted (about the same time I restarted coffee AND DEFINITELY when I restarted herbal teas) I restarted EATING...

Eating soft served ice cream cones (kiddie size--chocolate) about 3 times or less per week (DAIRY) Also note...before restarting coffee and dairy and as I think of it...I'm now having GAS (I'm sorry for this personal and disgusting info)

Eating Trader Joe's shoestring potatoes (fried stuff in a can)

Eating Brownies (Vegan and homemade), a couple of times I had homemade peach cobbler/apple pie...not a whole lot of the pies (a couple of time), brownies kinda often.

I also have eaten a few times some pork sausages and over medium eggs as well.

I used the excuse of needing to eat extra calories/my exercise calories on eating these things, to help meet my goals of calories for the day.....ummmmm, hmmmmmmm:indifferent: Also, important note: Whenever i ate these things, I was ALWAYS within my calorie budget. I can count on 1 hand the times since starting my journey I've "over-eaten any calories. I'm ALWAYS within or perhaps just slightly below my calorie budget.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS QUESTION...IT HELPS ME IN MORE WAYS THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW:flowerforyou:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Coffee is the ONE thing I refused to give up since starting my weight loss journey almost a year ago. I have lost a total of 75 pounds, BUT 3 months ago I started intense training (triathlon and strength) and have plateaued. I have tossed around the idea of trying to cut coffee but... It feels like I would be going to my best friends funeral!!! I think I'm ready to give it a try... not just coffee though, caffeine. It sounds like the caffeine causes increased cortisol levels, which causes you to store fat in the midsection. Also causes you to be dehydrated and store toxins in the digestive system. \

Ahhh Coffee... this is just not fair. :sick:
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    I used to drink coffee every morning and when I decided to get into better shape I also decided I wanted to stop all the 'addictive' habits I'd been used to (coffee, binge eating). I love coffee but i just stopped drinking it cold turkey and I dont miss it/enjoy it as much as I used to. I had no side effects or anything after stopping. I dont think theres anything wrong with drinking coffee though, I just did it for myself :-)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Has your weight increased in this time?

Hmmmmm, Most EXCELLENT question!

Interestingly enough (and I'm grateful I posted this, because all kinds of stuff is swimming around my head now), I was SUPER CONSISTENTLY losing scale weight (.02, 04., .06, .08) on a regular basis. Then BAM! Nothing...Nothing for about a month:mad:
    I was still eating super well and exercising and doing everything the same EXCEPT...I started drinking herbal teas around that time---(SUPER hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:frown: ). I figured I needed to up my calories and around that time...I STARTED REDRINKING THAT BLASTED COFFEE AGAIN. I did indeed gain weight, as a matter of fact, I gain 5+ pounds and attributed it to the extra calories I was eating. This is something to SELAH (pause and meditate upon) about.

Thank you for posting this question!!!!!!!

I suggest rechecking your BMR and TDEE figures. In order to gain 5 pounds of body weight, you'd need to eat almost 18,000 calories more than you burned. How was the body fat % measured?

I regain those pounds over a month's + time and there is literally NO WAY I ate anywhere near 18,000 calories--period. I exercise/strength train a LOT/regularly/daily too. If anything, i've been under eating calories during this time for sure.

My body fat percentage I get from my scale...it's a Body fat/Water/weight scale.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    What the.....no good can come from this thread. Must go find a Starbuck's....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :heart: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I do not drink coffee, never have but drank loads of diet pepsi or coke. Probably around 100 oz a day. Never drank water- ever. I thought that if it had no calories it was fine. On a bet with my finacee' I stopped cold turkey in Oct 2011 like you. My energy went up, my belly bloating went down and my cravings for fast food/junk food decreased a lot. I was amazed. I drink only water now, nothing with artificial sweetners. Its amazing what we convince ourselves is ok then when we make a change our bodies react and shock us.
    Good Post

Absolutely fabulously interesting post...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    I have mine every day 2 to 3 times a day skim milk two splenda...If I dont get my coffee look out its not pretty for the humans around me as I seek and destroy any all objects...
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    thats interesting - drink about 4/5 mugs a day with skimmed milk - i have tried to give it up once before but became very lethargic - wonder if i go for it again if my weight to come off a bit quicker
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    It is probably the creamer that you are putting in it to make your bf go up. Several health sites states to have a cup of coffee. I drink one cup sometimes every morning but just use stevia.
  • jhremix
    jhremix Posts: 4
    i drink my coffee black. and only like 1 a day if any. does that effect my weight loss at all?
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    This is really weird....I really don't like coffee, but on months where I've had one cup in the morning (black, no sugar) I've noticed a higher weight loss than on months where I've not drunk any....

Maybe because I've never really drunk coffee before? Hmmm. Odd!!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    I drink one cup of black coffee with 2 spoons of cane sugar every morning, will not be giving this up!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Sounds like a very scientific experiment... :indifferent:
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    I use to drink coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars for a long time and slowly I have cut back to one cream and now use 1 sweetener. Since really watching what I eat I have cut out all Sodas and since I don't drink beer or wine I think having a coffee or two a day is justified as a nice reward!
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    I, too, gave up coffee in February. Just stopped cold turkey. I haven't gone back to drinking it but I can tell you I am losing more weight then when I was continue to drink 2-3 cups a day. Now, i just drink water or tea. No sodas for me either.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Sounds like a very scientific experiment... :indifferent:

If it helps someone do their own experiment to figure out what works and what doesn't for themselves, does it need to be a controlled study?

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. But it's still better than no evidence at all.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Glad you found what's working for you...

I refuse to give up my coffee. Sorry, it has cancer-fighting qualities and I need all the help I can get. I only drink one cup every few days and when I decided to get my health in check I knew that if I went all extreme and cut out the things I love then I wouldn't stick with my health plan I'm tired of watching my weigh yo-yo so I need to do what I think is best for me... so everything in moderation.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I refuse to give up my coffee. Sorry, it has cancer-fighting qualities and I need all the help I can get. I only drink one cup every few days and when I decided to get my health in check I knew that if I went all extreme and cut out the things I love then I wouldn't stick with my health plan I'm tired of watching my weigh yo-yo so I need to do what I think is best for me... so everything in moderation.

This is what the journey is all about. Figuring out what is, and is not, compatible with your weight loss AND your long-term lifestyle. I'm with you, the coffee is staying in my long-term lifestyle therefore it stays in my weight-loss lifestyle.

But it's very interesting to see the results from people who have chosen a different path.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!