3 month NO Coffee experiment results...

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Sounds like a very scientific experiment... :indifferent:

:laugh:
    I'm not a scientist nor do I nor am I purporting to be one...just a slim healthy chick hidden/trapped in an ignorant(lack of knowledge) FAT chick's body and simply reporting what's happening in my FAT body after 3 months. This thread is NOT for those looking for "scientific-proof" nor anything like that at all. This thread is for discussion and discovery purposes only.

If you're looking for "very scientific experiments"...this aint the place/thread :wink:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    All this talk of coffee makes me want to go get a cup right now! I LOVE coffee..maybe it's the creamers and sugar too? I use skim or 2% and sometimes sugar, sometimes splenda.

Maybe I should just go make my herbal tea and tell myself I don't want/need the coffee :drinker:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I like my SUGAR with coffee and CREAM!
    :)

Thanks for posting this. I think the flavored cream is a big part of the problem. I drank 1-2 cups of coffee a day, and I had to stop two weeks ago because the caffeine was aggravating my *BRAND NEW* proclivity for panic attacks at night. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms, and I notice that my panic attacks have decreased in frequency and intensity by quite a bit.

I am not sure how many conclusions you can really draw from your experiment. Coffee, with cream or without, isn't going to raise your body fat percentage. I did enjoy that it curbed my appetite, but in terms of weight loss, it's not really that significant...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    you do realize that since when you started back with coffee you say you also started eating alot of junk...so how do you conclude that belly fat and body fat is caused by the coffee and not all the other junk?
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    very interesting! I drink coffee on and off. I mostly buy Starbucks at the store and make it at home, I want the best. I have also noticed coffee keeps weight on me, its not bad in itself but maybe for some people it messes with their hormones? I have also started eating clean a month ago so I cut out splenda . I drink mine with a little cream or black. I also cut out diet pepsi, my tummy seems flatter and I just may cut it completely for a month to see what happens. The reason you probably gained body fat you starved all day and ate a lot at dinner, right? I always eat breakfast regardless of coffee. Try it black and see what happens to you???
  • cpbarrett
    cpbarrett Posts: 33 Member
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting!
  • Maggiemay120
    Maggiemay120 Posts: 1 Member
    I am sooooooooooo glad to read your post and see that you paid attention to details like body fat % and weight gain/ loss because it seems more 'scientific' and makes me think I am not totally nuts!!
    For years now, I have gone back and forth on coffee. I have been drinking it with sugar free low cal creamer forever and have less than 90 calories a day wrapped up in my coffee. I think on some level, I know that no matter what else I am doing, if I am having coffee, I will never really lose the weight I want or get a flat stomach. But I do love the smell and the taste of fresh coffee.
    What I have always noticed (and thought it was just me) is that when I drink coffee, my stomach gets puffier and bigger - it is almost like I am retaining water. I have for several years used the trick of switching to green / black tea with no-cal sweetener for a week prior to any 'event' I have to go to and that I want to look nicer for - I still get the caffeine and the hot beverage, but my waist 'seems smaller' at the end of that week.
    I live in the midwest US. so I tend to drink coffee during cold weather and switch to tea / iced tea during warm weather. I remember losing 45 pounds in 6 months about 7 years years ago, and one of the things I did was drink NO coffee for the entire 6 months and I drank 2-4 cups of green tea per day along with exercise and healthy eating...Thank you for your post - I will be switching back to tea for the summer season and try to use coffee as an infrequent 'treat' come cold weather!

One question I would like to pose is to ask if anyone on here has ever figured out is when you are drinking coffee with creamer, is it better/healthier to go sugar free or fat free?? I can't find sugar free and fat free together!!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Interesting study. You said you gave up other things cold turkey at the same time. What were those other things? Have you started those again too? Could those other things have an effect on your observations?

I only ask because I've done something similar in the past but I drink my coffee black and I saw no changes due to eliminating from my diet (other than I had those horrible withdrawal symptoms :laugh: ).

Excellent...no, Most EXCELLENT question! I gave up completely:

Sugar

Dairy

Meats (chicken, lamb, pork, beef everything except fish & poll/troll caught tuna)

Junk foods (chips, fast foods, fried foods, most things that came in a box or bag--ya know, empty HIGH calorie stuff)
    Sweets (brownies, homemade cakes/pies)

I restarted (about the same time I restarted coffee AND DEFINITELY when I restarted herbal teas) I restarted EATING...

Eating soft served ice cream cones (kiddie size--chocolate) about 3 times or less per week (DAIRY) Also note...before restarting coffee and dairy and as I think of it...I'm now having GAS (I'm sorry for this personal and disgusting info)

Eating Trader Joe's shoestring potatoes (fried stuff in a can)

Eating Brownies (Vegan and homemade), a couple of times I had homemade peach cobbler/apple pie...not a whole lot of the pies (a couple of time), brownies kinda often.

I also have eaten a few times some pork sausages and over medium eggs as well.

I used the excuse of needing to eat extra calories/my exercise calories on eating these things, to help meet my goals of calories for the day.....ummmmm, hmmmmmmm:indifferent: Also, important note: Whenever i ate these things, I was ALWAYS within my calorie budget. I can count on 1 hand the times since starting my journey I've "over-eaten any calories. I'm ALWAYS within or perhaps just slightly below my calorie budget.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS QUESTION...IT HELPS ME IN MORE WAYS THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW:flowerforyou:

No problem. Based on that, I wouldn't say that this is linked to coffee only. You should do a more controlled experiement where you eliminate coffee only, then re-introduce it back into your diet.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    nice! I cut coffee for a month, noticed AWESOME results...but started up again and saw the puffiness/joint pain return.

Today is my first day WITHOUT coffee :) I feel great cause I know in a couple days, I'll feel even better.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    you do realize that since when you started back with coffee you say you also started eating alot of junk...so how do you conclude that belly fat and body fat is caused by the coffee and not all the other junk?

That's not exactly true...If you look at my food diary, I didn't start eating "a lot" of junk...just some junk. I DID start drinking coffee regularly though. And in my "mind" and opinion...I'm convince it's that blasted coffee and/or the FLAVORED CREAM I'm adding that is one of the main culprits in not just the "belly fat" but a lot more nasty business (mood swings, achy/painful joint pain in my hands, belly fat and more undesirable effects/affects--FOR ME--in my body and disposition) Also, it's the flavored cream that attracts me to coffee--coffee by itself is disgusting to me without the flavored cream.

. However and that said...I am/and will taking serious note and will also cut back if not cut out all together the "little bit of junk" I've added. So Thanks so much for posting--it's important and a MUST REALIZE as well moment for me:flowerforyou:
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    FYI- For those that are wanted to give up caffeine please take a look at this list:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211

Decaf DOES still have caffeine in it. I can be as much as there is in a cup of tea.

ETA: The only time something is caffeine free is when it is label Caffeine free!! So if you are worried about withdraws before you quit it completely, try switching to decaf first.
  • Dave198lbs

That's not exactly true...If you look at my food diary, I didn't start eating "a lot" of junk...just some junk. I DID start drinking coffee regularly though. And in my "mind" and opinion...I'm convince it's that blasted coffee and/or the FLAVORED CREAM I'm adding that is one of the main culprits in not just the "belly fat" but a lot more. However...I am/and will taking serious note and will also cut back if not cut out all together the "little bit of junk" I've added. So Thanks so much for posting--it's important and a MUST REALIZE as well moment for me:flowerforyou:

ok thanks for the reply...I have done alot of research on coffee because I drink so much of it...and while I still dont fully understand the cortisol issue, I would say that your increase in adverse body fat symptoms etc is not from the coffee but rather the stuff you put in your coffee

good luck
  • hollymurphy4
    hollymurphy4 Posts: 122
    Thanks for posting. Very interesting. I love coffee. I only drink one large cup per day. I do use flavored creamer, but it's sugar free (1 tsp = 20 cal). I use 4 tsp. I'm very careful about how much I use. So, part of my breakfast calories are eaten up by coffee creamer (80 cal worth). But I'm ok with that. However, I may go to coffee only every other day. Thanks again for the info.
  • Dave198lbs
    with all due respect to the OP and to all of you who are suddenly going to ditch the coffee please note that the OP candidly admits that her experiment in no way whatsover can really conclude that black coffee consumption leads to belly or body fat.

if you love coffee and the effects, you dont need to give it up from fear that it is making you fat. Coffee does not make you fat.

good luck to all.
  • I've been giving my creamer some suspicious sidelong glances recently, but I can't believe that my dear friend coffee is a villain! I've been tossing around the idea of trying some almond milk and/or coconut milk though. I keep hearing it is yummy.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Interesting study. You said you gave up other things cold turkey at the same time. What were those other things? Have you started those again too? Could those other things have an effect on your observations?

I only ask because I've done something similar in the past but I drink my coffee black and I saw no changes due to eliminating from my diet (other than I had those horrible withdrawal symptoms :laugh: ).

Excellent...no, Most EXCELLENT question! I gave up completely:

Sugar

Dairy

Meats (chicken, lamb, pork, beef everything except fish & poll/troll caught tuna)

Junk foods (chips, fast foods, fried foods, most things that came in a box or bag--ya know, empty HIGH calorie stuff)
    Sweets (brownies, homemade cakes/pies)

I restarted (about the same time I restarted coffee AND DEFINITELY when I restarted herbal teas) I restarted EATING...

Eating soft served ice cream cones (kiddie size--chocolate) about 3 times or less per week (DAIRY) Also note...before restarting coffee and dairy and as I think of it...I'm now having GAS (I'm sorry for this personal and disgusting info)

Eating Trader Joe's shoestring potatoes (fried stuff in a can)

Eating Brownies (Vegan and homemade), a couple of times I had homemade peach cobbler/apple pie...not a whole lot of the pies (a couple of time), brownies kinda often.

I also have eaten a few times some pork sausages and over medium eggs as well.

I used the excuse of needing to eat extra calories/my exercise calories on eating these things, to help meet my goals of calories for the day.....ummmmm, hmmmmmmm:indifferent: Also, important note: Whenever i ate these things, I was ALWAYS within my calorie budget. I can count on 1 hand the times since starting my journey I've "over-eaten any calories. I'm ALWAYS within or perhaps just slightly below my calorie budget.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS QUESTION...IT HELPS ME IN MORE WAYS THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW:flowerforyou:

No problem. Based on that, I wouldn't say that this is linked to coffee only. You should do a more controlled experiement where you eliminate coffee only, then re-introduce it back into your diet.

DONE!!!!! Starting tomorrow, since I had a cup this morning. It's tempting though/HARD, because I also REALLY now strongly desire to cut out the other things (pork sausages every once in a while, the brownies as well as the other stuff). I have a feeling as I STOP with the boldness the coffee & cream & teas...I won't want the brownies and sweets as well. My sister girl Awandell mentioned "gateway drug" I'm thinking my restarting the coffee is a gateway to these other things.

Not that coffee, herbal teas, ice cream, pork sausages, shoestring potatoes, brownies (vegan or otherwise) are evil in and of themselves...but I'm as I'm reading these posts and thinking about them FOR ME (everyone is different). They no longer have a place for me. I'll humble myself and TRY forsaking just the coffee & herbal teas though for starts. I can't promise I won't give the steel toed BOOT to the pork sausages, shoestring potatoes, brownies& kiddie sized ice cream cones though with the tea and coffee.

Again, I want to emphasize (and look at my food diary) I don't haven't been eating the junkie/cr$p foods often, as I have the herbal teas and coffee (daily).

Thank you again!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    with all due respect to the OP and to all of you who are suddenly going to ditch the coffee please note that the OP candidly admits that her experiment in no way whatsover can really conclude that black coffee consumption leads to belly or body fat.

if you love coffee and the effects, you dont need to give it up from fear that it is making you fat. Coffee does not make you fat.

good luck to all.

100% agreed!!!! I'm pretty sure it's the FLAVORED CREAM I love and must have to enjoy my coffee that is the main culprit in all my woes I'm crying about. I really have NEVER tried just black coffee (that'd be gross to me) by itself in ALL of my over 20+++ years coffee-junkiehood--I've ALWAYS had it loaded with flavored cream and/or sugar. Now, as far as the mood swings (which adversely effect my overall mental well-being and desire to exercise and be productive otherwise), and the DREADED suppressed appetite which has contributed to my/the VICIOUS cycle lack of eating and eating properly--then overeating and eating unhealthy stuff for a "quick fix"...well that'd be a whole nother kettle of fish and I'm pretty sure the coffee/caffiene is the bad guy in those unproductive and unhealthy scenarios for ME anyway!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    I went without caffeine for 4 months and didn't notice any results.
  • aliballygal
    aliballygal Posts: 2 Member
    From what I understand from the Atkins website, "the caffeine in coffee causes unstable blood sugar levels, which is one of the things the diet is trying to avoid. After drinking or eating something with caffeine many people have a hypoglycemic reaction. Their blood sugar level temporarily drops, triggering cravings for sugary foods or carbohydrates."

I thought my problem was the amount of creamer I used (I like my coffee very light and sweet). I have halved my creamer amount and switched from Splenada to Stevia in an attempt to curb my vicious sweet tooth. I hope to cut coffee out eventually but since I have staches of great Jamaican Blue Mountain coffeee hidden all over the house I am not about to throw them out. I will make the coffee weaker too, hope it works. I have lost 3 lbs in the first week and hope to stick with this. Good luck everyone.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    I don't drink coffee - ever - unless it's coffee-flavored things: a local milk company around here adds coffee to flavor their milk (it's delish, or Bolthouse make a coffee-flavored protein plus shake). I get my caffeine from diet soda. I have cut way back, and increased my water consumption, but I wonder what would happen if I gave up caffeinated/carbonated drinks.

I'm honestly too scared to try...I'm worried I'll be dead tired and have headaches all the time. It's pretty stupid.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!