3 month NO Coffee experiment results...

Replies

• marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    hmmm - I say that I would do anything to lose some body fat ...but my coffee I consider off limits. I drink 4 cups with half and half. Maybe I need to revisit this. Thanks for the post.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    I've only ever had straight black coffee, and I've found that it hasn't affected me at all. =S And I've read a lot of studies that says that straight black coffee is helpful with belly fat.

Then again, I've gained 20lbs in the last two months, so what do I know? Lol.
  • cat50cando
    cat50cando Posts: 6 Member
    Hello,

Thank you for the info. I myself am having to give up gluten and casein(light), but I've purposely cut back on my coffee consumption due to it effects on blood pressure and other issues! I've gone to caffeine free in the afternoon and avoid heavy creams and sugars! I LOVE COFFEE!!! I've also noticed I consumed coffee just to suppress my appetite, and I noticed that if I have just coffee, I end up eating unwanted calories in the evening. Now, I still have coffee, but with an apple or something light. That way I haven't set myself up for the evening crave monster!! I have max two cups a day 8 hours apart. Thank you for sharing info.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    I love my coffee.....I don't use cream or sugar (just protein powder) and sometimes sugar free toriani or splenda. I also like matcha powdered green tea......very interesting stats about the fat gain. I have no vices except coffee and the occasional dark chocolate......not so sure if it's something I can stop.....I gotta have some pleasure in life darn it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    with all due respect to the OP and to all of you who are suddenly going to ditch the coffee please note that the OP candidly admits that her experiment in no way whatsover can really conclude that black coffee consumption leads to belly or body fat.

if you love coffee and the effects, you dont need to give it up from fear that it is making you fat. Coffee does not make you fat.

good luck to all.

This exactly.... I think each person is going to respond differently... I have been drinking a travel mug size coffee (keurig) with 3 scoops of pure cane sugar and 2 TBSP. of International Delight Hershey chocolate and caramel creamer every single morning and am an avid pepsi max consumer (2 or 3 a day) and none of this has effected my weight loss in the least bit.... Good Luck to you....
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    You will get headaches the first couple of days. Just drink a ton of water and take a tylenol. I have mine all ready to go at about 4pm when I know it will hit. haha.

And black coffee is nasty LOL.

I do like my teas though...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    with all due respect to the OP and to all of you who are suddenly going to ditch the coffee please note that the OP candidly admits that her experiment in no way whatsover can really conclude that black coffee consumption leads to belly or body fat.

if you love coffee and the effects, you dont need to give it up from fear that it is making you fat. Coffee does not make you fat.

good luck to all.

This exactly.... I think each person is going to respond differently... I have been drinking a travel mug size coffee (keurig) with 3 scoops of pure cane sugar and 2 TBSP. of International Delight Hershey chocolate and caramel creamer every single morning and am an avid pepsi max consumer (2 or 3 a day) and none of this has effected my weight loss in the least bit.... Good Luck to you....
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    You could always switch to decaf with skimmed milk and sweetener. :smile:
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Coffee (aka Caffeine) is the most addictive drug on the planet...yes, higher than nicotine, crack cocaine, and alcohol and has many of the adverse side effects that they all have too.

That being said, I drink it but after reading about your pain being gone and fat percentages I am seriously thinking of not drinking it anymore.

Thanks for the insight!
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    saving for later...:flowerforyou:
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    i love and completely enjoy my coffee. i either drink it black or with a *teeny* bit of 2& milk. that's it. cannot see how giving up coffee (AKA the actual beverage) would increase your lean tissue and decrease your fat. what is very likely happening is that you are giving up the cream and whatever else you may have in your coffee.... and/or just simply taking in less calories than you burn.:drinker:
  • Great thread. A big thanks to the OP!!! I quit coffee for about 2 weeks. For the first three days it was like Oh, god, I am so tired, I can't even walk, I feel so freaking blah, ugh, but then after 3 days I couldn't even tell a difference and then started getting more energy. One of the problems with coffee is that your stomach has to produce extra acid to digest it. This extra acidity in your body can have some serious side effects that include acid reflux, ulcers and bloating among many others. It wouldn't be so bad if all you drink was coffee but combined with a diet that includes things like milk, eggs, excessive quanties of meat, flour, sugar, etc, it adds up to some serious acidity that is very unhealthy. I am back on coffee again, but this thread has inspired me to take another crack at quiting. Thanks to the OP.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    When I first started on this journey, I stopped (cold turkey) many many things. One of them was coffee drinking. I had been a coffee-aholic and junkie for more than 20 years. I loved coffee so much and was totally hooked on it. I liked to drink my coffee loaded with flavored creams. So, as of January 20th, 2012 I stopped drinking it cold turkey (and had no withdrawals, cravings, nothing). One reason I hesitated to stop drinking it sooner (because it was so so addictive to me), was the "fear' of withdrawals i'd always heard/read about. No such thing happened to me. When I was a coffee fiend, it made me lose my appetite and I was never really hungry--would skip breakfast, lunch and pig out on dinner and craved greasy, fried, junk foods. When I stopped drinking coffee, and started eating and drinking healthy stuff--BAM, the cravings for these other things disappeared as well.

I would on average drink 4-5 8+ ounces of coffee a day and at night too.

Okay, fast foward 3+ month. I restarted drinking coffee again last month. I'd have one cup per day with no where near the amount of flavored cream I used to drink--but with flavored cream. Here's what I've noted:

1.) my body fat percentage has gone up tremendously, in just one month. My body fat percentage when I first started was 44-47% consistently that high.

When I stoppped drinking coffee and started eating better, it went down in a few/2+ months from 47% to 30-31% body fat. From one month of restarting coffee drinking (still eating and exercising fabulously otherwise), my body fat percentage has gone up from a super consistent 30-31% to 32-34% IN JUST ONE MONTH:noway:

2.) this coffee is killing my appetite once again. Now, this may sound "good" on the surface--but it's HORRIBLE, because it causes me to severely under eat and a vicious cycle of starving-overeating-starving:sick:

3.) Coffee drinking for just this month is changing my "mood" I find myself "craving" coffee at night (I haven't drank any, but craving it) and find myself short tempered/more impatient than the past 3 month of kicking it to the curb.

4.) Before I started this lifestyle journey and kicking coffee, I used to have joint pain in my hands. When I kicked the coffee habit for 3 months straight, the joint pain in my hands completely disappeared...it's BACK again, now that I'm drinking a cup of coffee daily.

5.) The worse for last...I'm noticing my stomach is getting fatter again. My size 14's now still fit, but I'm having muffin top that has severely gone down since starting this journey in January and kicking coffee. BEFORE last month, my stomach has decreased something fabulous. Lost many many inches in my waist & stomach area. The UGLY FAT that remained was NOT as "squishly" or soft as it was when I was a regular coffee junkie. Now, as of today...it's (my tummy/waist area) is once again getting soft and yucky feeling again, instead of more solid as it was getting in the 3 months of NO COFFEE with CREAM:noway: :sad:

Conclusion:

#$$%^&!!@#$%^^&*()):frown: (*^^%$# :sick: COFEE :grumble: & :explode: Cream:devil:

I had a cup this morning...but after today's cup--I'm giving up coffee FOR GOOD and will not return to it like I did for this month.
    Everyone is different, but I wanted to post this as an NSV and perhaps a warning...maybe some of your issues are stemming from coffee and cream/sugar consumption too--maybe not, but just FYI!

WOW> How serendipitous to find this post. I had a huge coffee this morning, and then ate an apple with peanut butter. At lunch i didnt hardly want to eat, and I just hadto choke down a smoothie to even meet my cals for the day. I've noticed this on other occasions as well.... When I'm back home, I usually replace my coffee with fresh green juice frommy jucer and I havenoticed a huugechange in how I feel. Maybe it' time to re-think my own coffee habit. Thanks for the post!
  • LoriInnerStrength
    LoriInnerStrength Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking that I need to give up coffee for a long time now, and your post is motivating me in the right direction. Coffee bloats my stomach, even though I drink it black, and also causes joint pains in my wrists and knees. I only drink about 1 to 1 1/2 cups a day but crave it all the time and know this is not good. It doesn't even give me an energy boost anymore. About 6 months ago I switched to tea and felt great, and then like you I switched back for some reason. Damn you, Starbucks! My resolve is set...time to kick the habit.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    sounds like the coffee is the least of your problems
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Love love love this post...Very informative to say the least...I have went from a whole pot of coffee (sometimes more) a day down to 2 mugs of coffee each morning with cream & lots of sugar...I have reduced my sugar by half & slightly adding Stevia to get used to the taste but after reading this I really think I am going to cut out my coffee completely...I may do it gradually just in case I do get the headaches, etc. but I cannot drink coffee without the sweets in it or it is gross to me....Thank you for this post b/c now I have more incentive to quit b/c like I said I have been considering doing it anyway...I have cut out other sweets as well but sweet coffee was the last big thing for me & I have NOT been losing weight like a whole lot of people on here - I really believe that has a whole lot to do with my coffee EVERY day!! So again Thank you for this post & the interesting facts about what it has done for YOUR weightloss...I am going to try it for me to see if it helps me as well!! :flowerforyou:

ETA: Also, drinking coffee curbs my appetite as well, so I won't eat for hours after waking up...This is not helping my weightloss either in my opinion b/c from the time I go to bed until the next afternoon I do not eat anything except drink my coffee...Also, I am trying to quit smoking & in the mornings with coffee is my worst time....So, this may help with that as well... :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I do not understand how anyone can be "loving" this post. Sorry. But the coffee in question may have nothing to do with weight loss or body fat % what-so-ever seeing as how you drastically - VERY DRASTICALLY - changed your ENTIRE diet at the same time.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    I do not understand how anyone can be "loving" this post. Sorry. But the coffee in question may have nothing to do with weight loss or body fat % what-so-ever seeing as how you drastically - VERY DRASTICALLY - changed your ENTIRE diet at the same time.

word.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    I can't believe they even sell all that high fat stuff to put in coffee, you don't get it here in the UK. It's either dried coffee whitener or milk. I would not even consider cream.
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Very interesting thanks for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!