3 month NO Coffee experiment results...

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    maybe it's a false positive for coffee as coffaine is one of the major ingredients of fat burning products not to mention a lot of articles about coffee against fat burn.

looks like your experimenting on foods and drinks, is it possible that your eating something else while about the same time that your taking coffee?

on the other hand, each person is different, i'm a believer that each person are distinct, perhaps for you, coffee can have that impact for you. which might be different for somebody else.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Caffeine makes my joints ache...which causes puffiness that my body puts out to protect my aching joints.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I do not understand how anyone can be "loving" this post. Sorry. But the coffee in question may have nothing to do with weight loss or body fat % what-so-ever seeing as how you drastically - VERY DRASTICALLY - changed your ENTIRE diet at the same time.

word.

:laugh: I'm laughing because the "word" is neither of you guys must have bothered to looked at my food diary (and exercising diary for that matter) before posting this untrue statement(s). If you guys did, you would clearly SEE that I have NOT and in no way have "drastically, let alone VERY drastically changed my diet at all. Not even a little bit:laugh: UNLESS you mean drastically and VERY DRASTICALLY changing my diet meaning how I've added coffee (and/or tea) drinking daily that is :wink:

Look at my food diary and you will see that my food and exercising have been VERY consistent for my entire journey here. The only thing I've changed was eating my exercise calories back and even then, it's VERY consistent--look at my food diary and you'll see that...but then again, maybe you won't because maybe you don't want to see that. In any case, thanks for posting :flowerforyou:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Coffee is strange. When I first started drinking coffee, I drank it the same as my mother did; with a teaspoonful of sugar. The first time I attempted to lose a few pounds, I tried replacing the sugar with saccharin, as it was the only sugar replacement on the market at the time. It tasted SO nasty, I started drinking it black without anything. It tasted so terrible! I could barely get it down and considered quitting it altogether. But, I kept drinking it black and after a while it tasted pretty good. Then, when I tried putting sugar in again, it tasted even worse. Long story short; I always drink my coffee black, since then, and love it that way. I would never add anything to my morning coffee. I do like an occasional Vanilla Latte or Frappuccino when out and about though.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    bump
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    It's not the coffee causing the issues... its the flavored creamers :)

Switch to decaf -- stop adding your sugar flavored creamers and problem solved.

I use decaf black coffee and almond breeze and chocolate protein for my protein shakes... better than starbucks.
    If you need some flavor, I add a little torani sugar free sypup to suit my mood -- pumpkin in fall, almond/amaretto/hazelnut etc.

If I also added flavoried cream (especially without measuring it) I could easily add another 300-400 calories a day ... thats stuff adds up fast and 1 tbsp is not much.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    I drink a cup of coffee every morning. i use International delights caramel machiatto skinny. about 4 tbs and no sugar. Some days I dont drink to whole cup. And only 1 cup or else I get the BG's.:blushing:
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    this is interest. I drink my coffee black & when i switched to just drinking green tea for a while, I noticed my waist shrank a few inches, but now I'm back to drinking 2 cups of coffee a day & my waist has gone up an inch and nothing has changed diet or exercise wise. Your theory may be right.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'm addicted to my coffee, but I drink it black. It may be interfering with my weight loss, but it's not something I'm willing to give up for the rest of my life, so I'm going to lose weight under the same conditions I intend to maintain the weight loss with (beer, wine, and coffee most emphatically included, though all cut back during the process in proportion with the rest of my calories).

I urge everyone to take your weight loss phase as a great opportunity to experiment with things and design your permanent lifestyle. If giving up coffee works for you and you intend to do it for life, then that's great! But understand that once you're at your goal and switch to maintenance, if you go back to your old way of eating you'll go back to your old way of weighing. You're giving up coffee for life, and that seems to work well for you.

Giving up something "while you lose weight" is generally counterproductive. I'm not saying at all that this is what YOU are doing, just warning others that during the weight loss phase you are well-served by taking the opportunity to experiment like this but also keeping in mind what you want your lifestyle to look like when on maintenance, and not to plan on some huge change between "losing weight" and "maintaining weight".

HEAR, HEAR! WELL SAID!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I do not understand how anyone can be "loving" this post. Sorry. But the coffee in question may have nothing to do with weight loss or body fat % what-so-ever seeing as how you drastically - VERY DRASTICALLY - changed your ENTIRE diet at the same time.

word.

:laugh: I'm laughing because the "word" is neither of you guys must have bothered to looked at my food diary (and exercising diary for that matter) before posting this untrue statement(s). If you guys did, you would clearly SEE that I have NOT and in no way have "drastically, let alone VERY drastically changed my diet at all. Not even a little bit:laugh: UNLESS you mean drastically and VERY DRASTICALLY changing my diet meaning how I've added coffee (and/or tea) drinking daily that is :wink:

Look at my food diary and you will see that my food and exercising have been VERY consistent for my entire journey here. The only thing I've changed was eating my exercise calories back and even then, it's VERY consistent--look at my food diary and you'll see that...but then again, maybe you won't because maybe you don't want to see that. In any case, thanks for posting:wink:

You cut out meat, sugar, what you deem to be "junk food", etc. at the time you cut out coffee to go from 47% to 31% body fat. That's your own statements.

Point is, this is not, as you agree, scientific evidence.

By all means, don't drink coffee if you don't want. But claiming that cutting coffee alone out of your diet reduced your body fat percentage over 15% in three months is not entirely true now is it?
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    People are so wild about what they believe! If it doesn't work for them, they think it simply doesn't work. Caffeine can cause a ton of problems on the body...maybe not YOUR body, but on other bodies.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Coffee is strange. When I first started drinking coffee, I drank it the same as my mother did; with a teaspoonful of sugar. The first time I attempted to lose a few pounds, I tried replacing the sugar with saccharin, as it was the only sugar replacement on the market at the time. It tasted SO nasty, I started drinking it black without anything. It tasted so terrible! I could barely get it down and considered quitting it altogether. But, I kept drinking it black and after a while it tasted pretty good. Then, when I tried putting sugar in again, it tasted even worse. Long story short; I always drink my coffee black, since then, and love it that way. I would never add anything to my morning coffee. I do like an occasional Vanilla Latte or Frappuccino when out and about though.

Ya know, that's true about how you can come to like stuff that's gross to you at first. I started drinking this Hemp Protein powder stuff and at first, it was the most gross stuff I've EVER tasted. Now I really like it. So, yep...we can and do get accustomed to stuff more sure!
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    I have given up coffee...well for the most part. I allow myself to have one homemade mocha frapp on Sunday mornings as a "treat". I love your post though. It's a great experiment and one I think is very telling.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    33dbnmg.jpg
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    I think another thing to consider for coffee drinkers...is many of us drink several cups BEFORE we even eat anything. I'm questioning whether I should EAT something first, get my metabolism jump started, instead of waiting an hour or two after i'm up and about to touch food.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I don't like it when people blame coffee for their sugar and cream problems.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    People are so crazy about what they believe! If it doesn't work for them, they think it simply doesn't work. Caffeine can cause a ton of problems on the body...maybe not YOUR body, but on other bodies.

I don't know about calling folk crazy (even though it's true, because we're ALL crazy in one aspect or another--you know the old saying "those that say they aren't crazy are indeed the CRAZIEST ones of them--that's what I believe anyhoo all:laugh: ), but I agree with you that everyone is different--100%. I think I stated that several times too, because it's important to me when I post that I NEVER want people to feel what's good/best for me is good/best for others--because everyone is different. On that same note, I post stuff like this, because it may help others and others opinions (rather they agree with me or not) are ALWAYS helpful to me in one form or another.
  • slimsteelerfan
    slimsteelerfan Posts: 193 Member
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Okay, what I'd like to do is stick my fingers in my ears and pretend I didn't hear this. BUT, I noticed a significant change going from an all day coffee (with creamer) drinker to once a day. I even let the creamer go and it wasn't until I went to once a day that my mood and weight loss changed. No change in diet or activity otherwise. I know many people refuse to give anecdotal evidence any credence but I'm not one of them. I wish coffee affected my appetite, alas, no such luck. I'm hypothyroid and pre-diabetic. I'm going to research the hormonal link as well. Fuuuuudge! I'll give it up if I need to. Thanks for sharing your story!
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    I gave up drinking coffee because I can't stand the taste of it black. I take my cream and sugar with a little coffee.
    SO I figured I would just kick this to the curb. I don't find myself missing it. I will have a cup here and there if I just feel like it, but its been about 2 months and I've had 1 cup. I drink tea now instead and I love it. So many different types of teas and they are much better for you too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!