eating healthy questions..

So I want to start eating right! I've been doing the insanity workout! I'm on the 3rd day of the second month.. Before now I've ate whatever and drank nothing but diet Pepsi! By doing that I've lost 5 inches around my belly button but I'm ready to start seeing more results!! I'm on my 4th day of drinking NOTHING but water and I've tracked the calories of everything I've ate today! All I know to look at is the calories.. What else should I be looking at? How do I know what foods to stay away from by looking at the labels? Thanks for any help?

Oh and any weight loss success stories of drinking water instead of soda OR insanity please feel free to share! I need all the motivation offered.

Replies

• Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Water is definitely the way to go and make sure you drink enough. MFP suggest 9 cups: go for 9 or more always.

As for what to look for in labels, my big ones are:
    Calories
    Carbohydrates
    Sodium
    Protein
    Fiber

These are also the ones I picked to track on MFP. A good way to gage is that every label will also show the category's "per serving" % vs. suggested daily intake. This can help. Finally, make sure to check what the serving size is. Sometimes you'll see something low in cal or carbs, but the serving is 2 tbs when you know you would eat 6x that.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    When you read ingredients, if you cant pronounce something you probably cant digest it very well either.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Eat as little processed foods as possible. Stick with lean proteins, fruits, veggies, etc. I agree with the poster who said if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it. I read once that when you grocery shop, stick to the edges - meats, produce, dairy - and stay away from the boxed and canned foods in the middle. My husband and I have been doing this and it really works for us. Good luck and way to go on the workouts!!!! I'm doing well on the healthy eating part but not the exercising. ;)
  • I agree with the other folks here. I also heard about the perimeter of the store. I cut out most of the processed foods from my diet and make my own fresh tomato sauces and cooking stock, etc. My food tastes much better and those wonderful plant fibers have lowered my LDL 24 points in two months. I'm not getting the high sodium content that is in the preservatives of food. My doctor is extremely pleased and says if I lose 7 more LDL points, I will be allowed to wean myself from all maintenance medicines (blood pressure and cholesterol).

I have an appointment with the doctor in 3 months to retest and am certain I will be able to come off all meds. This is not a diet, but a complete lifestyle change for me!!! Good luck!
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Well done on your progress so far! that's some going, but I think you are just right in starting to think about the quality of the food and drinks you are having. I'll happily pass along the info given to me by the dietician and nutritionalist I've spoken with. Basically a calorie is not just a calorie. Some calories are better than others, so it's important to be mindful of that when choosing what to eat and drink. Basically, eat a carb, a protein, a dairy and a fruit/veg at your 3 main meals. But have snacks too (at each snack you should try to have a little protein) so you should eat every 3hrs or so. I found this very difficult to start because it just felt like I was eating all the time, but now I can tell when it's getting to snack time because of my hunger. Definitely be conscious of processed foods, because there are usually lots of hidden sugars and salts etc. With regards to fluid intake, it's not just water you should count. all liquids count as a fluid, e.g. tea, coffee, fruit juice etc but the benefits you get from these compared to just pure water are very different. The amount of fluid intake you need can depend on your size, but if you are getting the usual recommendations of 8 glasses then that should give you a good start, my thoughts are to tweak it around what suits you best etc with regards to your thirst and your training. I know for me if I get 1.5 litres a day it keeps me hydrated nicely without me constantly having to pee, but I don't include what I drink when I'm training, so on those days I'd be drinking more.

Good luck with it all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!