Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Hi and welcome. I am Type 2 diabetic and have had several miscarriages also.

Hugs to you. Get much rest and get well soon.
    Hi everybody, I'm new to this board, but i am also diabetic... I am recovering from my third misscarriage on 9/6/09 (was 16 weeks 5 days).

My first couple of pregnancies, my physician had me on regular insulin and NPH insulin. They lowered my BS, but not where they should be. This last pregnancy, my OB put me on Glyburide... This has really dropped my BS to where they should be. I swear, this drug has been a miracle worker!!! :smile:

My highest BS since being on the Glyburide was 140, and that was after having a big meal (a couple of days ago). I'm wondering if my Internal Med physicain will keep me on the Glyburide. Once I'm able to workout again, I'm hoping I won't have to be on it for too long... :wink:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Glad to see you drop in Lioness, Don't usalley see you on the week end. Just got back from my walk. Put on 1500 steps this morning. Will have to walk that 3 times to keep up to my goal of 4,000 this week . wull try to increase it to 5,000 next week Will have to walk our little walk 4 tmes to do that. I love this little pedometer. And Sammy loves all this walking.

Today is football game day. The Dallas cowboys wont play till 7:00PM tonight. But there will be other games on this afternoon.

No cooking today. I made POT OF CHILI yesterday and will have that to eat. Jerry will root for hisself.
    I am enjoying a cup of coffee with heavy cream in it.

See you later~~~~~~~~~`Calie
  • Morning all! Welcome msmrg! You will do okay, I am sorry to hear about your miscarrages! do get plenty of rest. We will try to help, most of us are type 2 here, so we can relate.

Well I had my doctors appointment this morning. Blood work was okay, A1C was 6.4, that is up since I went off the one med, but doctor said that was still good. My cholesterol was up quite a bit, so she said she would give me 3 months to try and bring it back down on my own since I was trying to get off meds. I lost 3 pounds since my last visit. She said that was good. Taking away the med caused my glucose to be a bit higher and it caused the cholesterol to be up. I have not been taking my fish oil either, so I must get back on the fish oil and start walking again. I have not done that in a while either. It is really hot here in Florida! That is not a good enough excuse, I know! I am giving it anyway. Well if anyone has any advice for me, I would love to hear it! Take care!
  • CALIECAT
    Hello Jrhall, So good to see a nice long post from you. I got me pedometer last week. I am kind of slow. I have got it up to 4,000 steps. A long way from where it needs to be. But it is a start. It is still pretty warm here. but cool front is coming in tomorrow.
    Lioness and I had fun wathing the cowboys game last night.
    Have a good day.Calie
  • July24Lioness
    Glad to see you drop in Lioness, Don't usalley see you on the week end. Just got back from my walk. Put on 1500 steps this morning. Will have to walk that 3 times to keep up to my goal of 4,000 this week . wull try to increase it to 5,000 next week Will have to walk our little walk 4 tmes to do that. I love this little pedometer. And Sammy loves all this walking.

Today is football game day. The Dallas cowboys wont play till 7:00PM tonight. But there will be other games on this afternoon.

No cooking today. I made POT OF CHILI yesterday and will have that to eat. Jerry will root for hisself.
    I am enjoying a cup of coffee with heavy cream in it.

See you later~~~~~~~~~`Calie

Hi Calie. No, I usually am out doing things with my hubby and the pups. This weekend was a lazy, lay around the house weekend, with no one feeling good, not even my pups (they both have allergy issues).

Football season rolls around and we usually hibernate and I work out at home. Looks to be the same again this year so you will start seeing a lot more of me around in the evenings and weekends.

I am holding steady with the weight and my blood sugar. Wooo hooo!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Hey I am waiting for WI time in the morning.
    Do you keep your coconut oil in the frige.? I went and bought me two more jars of it. Love what it is doing to me. so far.
    Calie
  • CALIECAT
    Hi Jrhall and Lioness.

Been a wonderful day here , cludy and a little drizzie and best of all a little cool.
    Didn't get as much walking in today. These old legs are so sore. I will be during good if II get 3,00 in today. My eating is doing just fine.
    I just lost 1 lb this week. But I think that is good after a lost of 6.6 lbs last week. I am just so glad I didn't gain. which i usally do after a big lost.
    Both of you have a good week.
    Calie
  • Hey as long as you are moving, you are doing good! So hang in there! :happy: Have a good week!
  • CALIECAT
    thanks Jrhall, You too.

I done got 4,194 steps in this morning Hoping to reach 5,000 by the end of the day.
    I Have a wonderful day. Enjoy hearing from you.

Calie
  • July24Lioness
    Hey I am waiting for WI time in the morning.
    Do you keep your coconut oil in the frige.? I went and bought me two more jars of it. Love what it is doing to me. so far.
    Calie

No, I keep my coconut oil on the counter next to the Grape seed oil and the Olive Oil.................

Coconut oil is fantastic and does lots of good things for the body!!! It is one of the best things I have ever tried.

I actually started researching it after it was mentioned on another low carb board that I belong to.
  • Hi Ladies,

I know you have pages and pages of posts but I was hoping to be a part of your support group. I am only 27 (28 next month) but i have already been diagnosed with Systemic Lupus, Hypothyroidism, APS, rheumatoid arthritis, and of course diabetes (it started off as gestational). I'm at a loss now, because my illness es make me sick and cause me not to workout but in order for me to get better, I need to lose weight but can't because I am in so much pain and/or sick most of the time.So basically I am damned if I do, damned if I don't. I am still trying though, I do about 20 minutes of high intensity eliptical and 40 minutes of circuit training every week day morning. I do this because I much rather be in pain from working out then in pain and depression from laying in bed all day. Well I won't bore you anymore with the rest of my life story but that's just a little bit about me and what I go thru.

Hope to chat with many of you!

Sonia
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Hello. I am a diabetic too and would love to be a part of this group! I am 46 and was diagnosed with diabeties 3 years ago. I was also diagnosed with lung cancer on the same day. And let me tell you, I have over come lung cancer and it was easier than dealing with diabetes every day. I HATE THIS DISEASE. Which is why I am here. I want to get my excess weight off so I can stop taking my medicine. And so I do not contract anymore diseases if possible.

I would love to hear what other people are doing and what their sugars are running!
  • CALIECAT
    Hi Sonia, Welcome to our little group.

I am Calie an 78 year old granny and i have been a diabetic for 20 years. And I just now learning how to control my blood sugar. I didn't know much about carbs when I first join here. Now I am just taking in about 30 carbs a day.and finally losing some weight. The girls here are nice and supported and will help you any way we can. Its a rotton disease/ But look like you got several bad ones. Work with you docter. And come back and post often.

Calie
  • CALIECAT
    Lioness I have not used any butter or olive oil since I have been on the coconut oil. Season my veggies, my soup and chile. I think I have fallen in love with it. I have no hungry pain And doing just fine. I used it for my scramble eggs with a little heavy cream The best breakfast ever.
    Calie
    Lioness and I post on this thread it is lots of fun and educations it you care to join us the link is

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/66050-low-carb-ers-challenge-to-choose-change

Be looking for you both there.
  • CALIECAT
    Hello Teri. Welcome to our group. Thats fantastic gettin over lung cancer. That is a hugh success.
    One of our girl Lioness has gotten off Med. here recently And another one has cut way down. I have cut my insulin in half . By using coconut oil. It is doing wonders for me. Are you on meds or insulin. Lioness is more knowable than I am. She is the one who has completely got off med. Maybe she will come by and tell her story.

But anyway Welcome

Calie
  • July24Lioness
    Hi Gunswife and welcome to our group.

Question for you. How has the endocrinologist told you to eat since you have been diagnosed with these endocrine issues and autoimmune disorders?

Giving up grains, dairy, sugar and eating very naturally (lots of veggies, fruits, good qualtiy proteins and fats) will make the inflammation go away and you will start to feel better, have more energy and not have so many aches and pains................

I am not trying to push any way of eating or living on you, just telling you my experiences with diabetes, hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue, fibromyalgia, bi-polar disorder and PCOS.

I started out with The Atkins Nutritional Approach or (ANA) and when I got to the point of adding in dairy, grains and beans - the pain, fatigue, depression, mood swings and general bloatedness and feeling inflammed came right back.

I started exploring the Paleo way of eating, which is like Atkins in a sense, but you never add in grains, dairy or beans / lentils. The pain, inflammation, achy joints etc went right away.

Good Luck and hope you start feeling better soon!!
    Hi Ladies,

I know you have pages and pages of posts but I was hoping to be a part of your support group. I am only 27 (28 next month) but i have already been diagnosed with Systemic Lupus, Hypothyroidism, APS, rheumatoid arthritis, and of course diabetes (it started off as gestational). I'm at a loss now, because my illness es make me sick and cause me not to workout but in order for me to get better, I need to lose weight but can't because I am in so much pain and/or sick most of the time.So basically I am damned if I do, damned if I don't. I am still trying though, I do about 20 minutes of high intensity eliptical and 40 minutes of circuit training every week day morning. I do this because I much rather be in pain from working out then in pain and depression from laying in bed all day. Well I won't bore you anymore with the rest of my life story but that's just a little bit about me and what I go thru.

Hope to chat with many of you!

Sonia
  • July24Lioness
    Hello. I am a diabetic too and would love to be a part of this group! I am 46 and was diagnosed with diabeties 3 years ago. I was also diagnosed with lung cancer on the same day. And let me tell you, I have over come lung cancer and it was easier than dealing with diabetes every day. I HATE THIS DISEASE. Which is why I am here. I want to get my excess weight off so I can stop taking my medicine. And so I do not contract anymore diseases if possible.

I would love to hear what other people are doing and what their sugars are running!

Hi, that is great being able to overcome lung cancer!!!

Please read this article regarding low carb and diabetes. It is possible to reverse Type 2 diabetes just like you beat the cancer. Let's get you going on beating diabetes also!!!!
    Ali Taylor/Stock.xchngSponsored Links
    Type 2 Diabetes Diet
    Type 2 Diabetes Diet -- Recipes | Meal Options | Snacks!
    Nibbledish.com/....Diabetes-Diet

Type 2 Diabetes Diet
    Looking for Type 2 Diabetes Diet? See our Type 2 Diabetes Diet guide.
    Spectrum-Health.org

Does a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic reduced calorie diet.

Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org Web site: http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes
  • It's ok I appreciate the advice. I lived in Alaska for 2 years and didn't have the adequate care I needed. Luckily the USCG finally moved us and I am looking for a good doctor now to work with. I have done a lot of research on my illnesses but am still in the learning process. Right now i am eating a lot of fiber, watching my carbs and eating lots of fruits and veggies. One thing I guess is impeding my weight loss is that I can not eat diabetic foods such as sugar free stuff since I have a sensitivity to sweeteners. I am trying my best with the info I am armed with but any and all advice is welcomed. I also cook from an awesome diabetic cookbook which helps me out a lot.
  • July24Lioness
    It's ok I appreciate the advice. I lived in Alaska for 2 years and didn't have the adequate care I needed. Luckily the USCG finally moved us and I am looking for a good doctor now to work with. I have done a lot of research on my illnesses but am still in the learning process. Right now i am eating a lot of fiber, watching my carbs and eating lots of fruits and veggies. One thing I guess is impeding my weight loss is that I can not eat diabetic foods such as sugar free stuff since I have a sensitivity to sweeteners. I am trying my best with the info I am armed with but any and all advice is welcomed. I also cook from an awesome diabetic cookbook which helps me out a lot.

If you are getting fiber from grains, try cutting them out for a while, up the fats (olive oil, coconut oil) and keep protein high along with lots of veggies and fruits.

Eh, we don't need the diabetic foods, those artificial sweetners are not good for us!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Good morning Sonia and Gunswife So gladd to have you two to join us.

Goodmorning Jdhall. Lioness. Ellen [ who we have not heard from in a long time],
    missed her.

Have a wonderful day:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Calie