Any half-marathoners?

Hi guys,

A friend and I just decided to try our first half marathon on June 30th and I'm looking for any nutrition/training tips from other runners! First, a bit of background: It's only 7 weeks away which makes me slightly nervous, but a friend of a friend who is an experienced marathoner said that it's enough time to train if you are already in decent running shape. I am not a natural-born runner by any stretch of the imagination, but I do enjoy it, and usually average a 10-min mile when running on my own (slightly faster if I'm in a race). I've done a few 5ks and such, and I ran a 4-mile race yesterday in 38:49.

So, I guess my main concern is keeping myself injury free. I've suffered some pretty serious running injuries in the past, but that was when I was running outside EVERY single day with little rest, which I've since learned is a big no-no haha. I've been wearing the same running shoes for a year, should I invest in a new pair? How much should I break them in before the race? What about nutrition? I don't want to deprive myself of calories too much while training, but I'd like to continue with my weight-loss trend. Lastly, what about consumption of alcohol while training? Obviously it's not good for you, but I tend to go out on weekends...I'm thinking of setting myself a limit of 2 or 3 drinks per weekend?

Sorry for this long, rambling post...any advice/support/motivation is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Come on, there must be some runners out there... :)!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    What is your longest run in the last couple weeks?

You need to ramp up and get your weekly long run up to 10 or 11 miles before the race.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    What is your longest run in the last couple weeks?

You need to ramp up and get your weekly long run up to 10 or 11 miles before the race.

I'd listen to this guy. I heard he's done a couple of them.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Meee! I just ran my second and will be running my third on the 27th. I love the distance, personally - long enough that it's a big challenge but not so long that it requires a huge recovery period.

Seven weeks is a tight training schedule for sure but you know your body and where your training is at. How long is your long run right now? If you steadily add a mile to your long run each week, you can build to 13 in your time frame. I don't think that's too much to add every week; combine that long run with a couple of shorter runs through the week (5-10km).

On shoes, there was just a thread about replacing them - I usually turn mine over somewhere between 600 and 800 kms; just watch for pain in the legs, knees, feet - that might be a sign that it's time for new ones. Definitely break them in before the race - don't try anything new on race day!

As for calories, I'd say just listen to your body. You definitely need to fuel those miles. Alcohol can dehydrate you, so just be sure to make up for the drinks with lots water, and maybe cut it right out the week before the race.

Good luck with your race!
  • caitles14
    Unfortunately I've never really tried to run anything over 5 miles...but I always feel fine when I run 4 to 5 miles, so I think your idea of increasing my long run by a mile each week sounds feasible. I think I'll try my long runs Saturdays, and then throw in a couple3-6 milers during the week. I think I'll def need to get new shoes with enough time to break them in before the race too...thanks for the advice!
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    shoes are good for between 500-800km depending on the abuse you put them through and your weight. I find that after about 500km (310mi) mine are breaking down. Worth it to replace them. as for breaking in time, shoes have changed a LOT in the past 10 years so it matters less than it used to. that being said, if your shoes are already toast, then get new ones soon anyway so that you don't get injury.

distance needs to be built up. typical pattern is 10% gain 3 weeks in a row for your long run. 4th week you do a recovery week usually doing what you did on week 2 of the cycle. since you have a short schedule and a small base, you'll probably need to go up a bit higher.

I'd aim for a 10km this coming weekend (6.2mi) and see how that goes.

race day nutrition should be practiced now, whatever you do. personally for a half marathon distance (ran one yesterday) I usually have 3 gels and water. 1 gel 15 minutes before race start, 1 gel each 40 minutes after. if you are going to be longer than 2 hours, you might want to have a 4th one on hand to take. unless it is very hot where you are, you probably won't need gatorade or electrolyte replacement. if it is very hot though, water might not be enough.

Good luck in your race!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Unfortunately I've never really tried to run anything over 5 miles...but I always feel fine when I run 4 to 5 miles, so I think your idea of increasing my long run by a mile each week sounds feasible. I think I'll try my long runs Saturdays, and then throw in a couple3-6 milers during the week. I think I'll def need to get new shoes with enough time to break them in before the race too...thanks for the advice!

Just be REALLY careful not to ramp it up too fast, otherwise you will end up injured.

Maybe try for 6 (or 7 only if you are feeling great at 6) this weekend. Take it slow, but try to map a long run plan that gets you up 10 or 11 the week (or two) before the race.
  • caitles14
    Thanks SO much for the advice guys! I made a training schedule based on your comments and some sample ones I found online. I tried to make it as gradual as possible within the 7-week time frame :) And I'll def look into the shoes. Thanks again!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Also if you don't have one yet, get a foam roller.