I'm young... why am I going bald.

I posted this here, b/c I really wasn't sure where to post it,...

I am 25, have very fine hair and have been lossing it steadily for the last 5-6 months now. I went to the dr and had all kinds of blood and sugar tests done, everything came back normal. I WAS under alot of stress about 8-9 months ago, but my stress levels have dramtically decreased, so I don't think it's stress related. I went to the nutritionist and she said that I was doing everything right (nutritionally wise that is).

No one in my family is bald, matter of fact, all of the older women and most of the older men still have a full head of hair, it's baby fine, but they all still have a lot of it.

I'm so frustrated b/c no one has really been able to give me any answers as to why my hair is falling out the way it is. I'm starting to get the sides of the hairline "male pattern baldness" as my dr calls it. Everytime I run my hand thru my hair, my hand has 10-30 strands of hair on it. My scalp is really oily (don't know if this has anything do to with anything) I usually get my hair highlighted, but I have been scared to go back to the hairdresser for the last 5-6 months because of the damage the chemicals do to my scalp. Not to mention when they put the highlighting foils on and then pull them out, half the hair on my head will probably come with the foils LOL. Help!!! Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    I posted this here, b/c I really wasn't sure where to post it,...

I am 25, have very fine hair and have been lossing it steadily for the last 5-6 months now. I went to the dr and had all kinds of blood and sugar tests done, everything came back normal. I WAS under alot of stress about 8-9 months ago, but my stress levels have dramtically decreased, so I don't think it's stress related. I went to the nutritionist and she said that I was doing everything right (nutritionally wise that is).

No one in my family is bald, matter of fact, all of the older women and most of the older men still have a full head of hair, it's baby fine, but they all still have a lot of it.

I'm so frustrated b/c no one has really been able to give me any answers as to why my hair is falling out the way it is. I'm starting to get the sides of the hairline "male pattern baldness" as my dr calls it. Everytime I run my hand thru my hair, my hand has 10-30 strands of hair on it. My scalp is really oily (don't know if this has anything do to with anything) I usually get my hair highlighted, but I have been scared to go back to the hairdresser for the last 5-6 months because of the damage the chemicals do to my scalp. Not to mention when they put the highlighting foils on and then pull them out, half the hair on my head will probably come with the foils LOL. Help!!! Has anyone else had this problem?
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Did they check your thyroid? TSH levels? Hypothyroid can cause hair loss. Stress usually impacts hair loss a couple of months later, but by now, if that was it I would think it would have reversed. Other than Hypothyroidism I really don't have any other thoughts right now. I hope you can find some answers soon!!
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Are you eating enough fat? You can use omega-3 supplements to help your hair, but it may take a while to see a huge difference. Lack of iron can also cause hair-loss and MontanaGirl is right on about the thyroid, too. In terms of being gentle to your hair, remember to dry your hair before brushing it as wet hair is weak and not to bind it too tightly.
  • Also, how is your nutrition levels? My oldest sister went through that a couple of years ago, and they had her tested for everything imaginable, even at the cleveland clinic. I mean, she would pull her hair back, and you could see bald spots all over her head......It turned out she was basically just EXTREMELY malnourished......she was depressed and didn't have an appetite, so, some days she would barely eat anything.

On the bright side, she's now eating better, and her hair has grown back, and she has a gorgeous head of curls (it was straight before it fell out).................:ohwell:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    I think that some medicines may cause hair loss in rare cases--some antidepressents, blood pressure meds, and I think even stuff for heartburn. There is also such a thing as "female pattern baldness," which I think can be treated by rogaine. :ohwell:

Good luck!
  • snakeskin
    snakeskin Posts: 21
    Hi, I read your post about losing hair, and if you have checked with your physicians and did all the necessary check-ups (as I did).... stress is a HUGE factor, along with other mentioned side effects listed on the forum.

I am blessed with a thick, full head of hair, but under stress, I will noticed my hair thinning a lot on the top. I had researched information online, and found that by using "ferrous sulfate", it will aid in re-stimulating growth. Desperate, I tried it, and miraculously it worked.

For more information, google "ferrous sulfate".
    You can usually find it when you purchase iron tablets.

Best.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Did you recently have a baby? I know after both of my pregnancies that I lost tons of hair.
  • If you have changed shampoo within the last 5-6 months switch it back! My friend lost chunks of hair while using herbal essance. It just didnt agree with her body. My little sister has alopecia areota , an auto immune disease which makes your hair fall out, I will try to get into contact with her to ask but I know there is a viatmin my lil sis take to promote hair growth as well as a special shampoo. Best of luck
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    It seems that everyone has covered about every idea there is. I know when I am stressed and even a couple of months after, my hair comes out in hand fulls. I haven't any bald spots yet, but I use to have very thick hair and now it's a lot thinner. I went to a beautician when It was bad one time and had tried several of their products which I saw no change. I know Regain has been use by a friend and it does work for her, she was practically all bald. But I know there are more products out there and it wouldn't hurt to get a good multivitamin, and I know some people argue it's no good, but I believe it helps me and I notice the difference if I take them or don't. Don't put anything drying on your hair or scalp like hair spray and mousse. The best shampoo I have found is Pantene and Pantene conditioner for dry hair. My 87 year old dad advised me to use it when he was going bald and he has a nice thick head of hair. Another thing is to stay away from hair dyes and perms until you get your hair back into healthy shape. :flowerforyou: May I also suggest to start massaging your scalp everyday it stimulates the blood circulation. Also a fine hair brush not a harsh one and brush , they usually say 100 strokes but I don't always get that many.Don't put your back into a pony tail this puts stress on your hair , just just light barrettes that doesn't pull on your hair.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    :bigsmile: Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :bigsmile:

I do take a daily multivitamin, and Omega 3 supplements (I have chronic dry eye as well and haven't been able to wear contacts for about a year now... which is the main reason I take the omega 3), I also take a biotin supplement (around the same time I started losing lots of hair, I noticed ridges in my nails, the biotin supplement cured the ridges, but has done nothing thus far for the hair loss :grumble: )

They did check all my hormone levels as part of the blood tests and everything was normal.

I currently use a few different shampoos and have for a while (mainly b/c after a week or two on the same shampoo it seems to stop working for the oiliness), I use Head and Shoulders Intense Solutions (cures my nasty dandruff), Nioxin (specially for thin hair), and recently a steroid shampoo the doctor prescribed for my hair loss (it seems to be helping a little).

Nutritionally, I am fine (according to the nutritionist at least).

No babies here :), :wink: my parents had me young, I was an only child for a long time, and my mom and dad have just recently (with my seperate step parents) had a few kids... so there are babies around, but they are baby siblings. I dread the day I actually get pregnant, from what I hear, I'll probably go completely bald..*eeek*. :sad: :noway:

I am guity of always pulling my hair back :blushing: , mainly b/c it is so thin and fine and oily, it starts to look stringy and gross when I wear it down. But I use 'ouchless' hair ties and am as gentle as can be.

Thanks for the ferrous sulfate suggestion, I'm gonna look into that.

Well, other than that... I don't know what to do LOL... maybe all the things I am doing combined will actually start to work eventully *crossing my fingers and toes*!!! :ohwell: