Does this count as a workout?? HELP

I have 2 small children so I have to workout in sperts. I do 10 mins in the morning. 10 in the afternoon and 25 at night. Does this count as a full 45 mins cardio workout? Or should I do the entire 45 at one time in order for the workout to matter?

Replies

• I have 2 small children so I have to workout in sperts. I do 10 mins in the morning. 10 in the afternoon and 25 at night. Does this count as a full 45 mins cardio workout? Or should I do the entire 45 at one time in order for the workout to matter?
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Disclaimer comes first - I am not a doctor and I don't even play one on tv.:happy:

As far as I know it does count either way you do it. I think there are benefits to your heart for having an elevated heart rate maintained for a longer period of time and building stamina is great. But if you are just trying to get exercise and lose weight I don't think it matters if it is split up like that.

It will be good to read what others write - good question!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    I think Julieofthewolves is right about the benefits of keeping the heart rate up for an extended period of time. The stuff I've read says that in order to get into the fat burning zone, it takes about 20 minutes. BUT... that being said, I would most definitely count your times as a workout! Plus, with 2 little ones, I bet you're chasing them around all day!
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    I agree!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    I'll submit that shorter workouts multiple times can actually be more beneficial then 1 long one. Some researchers have shown that more glycerol is released in the bloodstream during multiple short workouts then in one long one. Glycerol is one of the fatty acids that are released when stored fat is burned up. This is by no means conclusive evidence, but it does lend some creedence to the theory.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    My disclaimer, I am not a doctor either, Nor a personal trainer.
    From everything that I have read on the subject: Yes you should keep your heart rate up for 20 min to get a "highly"effective burn.
    HOWEVER. "Did you get up and move?" "Did you sweat?" "Then it counts!"
    Oh and, If you want to add to the shorter workouts, get ankle weights. Then even if your "WORKOUT" is ten minutes, you are burning more calories than you would without them, AND you are burning more calories then you would if you where just sitting down.
    Again, Not a DOCTOR, but I believe that movement is better than non movement.
    --Diann...
  • Petal
    Petal Posts: 27
    :flowerforyou: I have to agree with Banks:smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Here's my quick understanding of it:

as a workout to burn calories: Yes! absolutely, total it up.

as a workout to strengthen your heart, and build endurance: no, not necessarily. That's where the 20 minutes in a row at a target heart rate comes in.

But absolutely rack up those calories burned!