Help: Injury

vegansara
vegansara Posts: 192 Member
Hey everyone,
I just started P90X last week and on Wednesday pulled a muscle in my neck/shoulder/upper back doing KenpoX. This has been a trouble spot for me in the past, lots of knots in my upper back, but nothing like this. I get pain whenever I move my head in some directions. Thankfully Thursday was my rest day, but I still didn't feel like it was ok to work out yesterday, and I'm sitting on the couch wondering about working out today. I'm feeling really motivated but I don't want to aggravate this injury.

Advice? Today, ideally I'd be able to do the back and chest workout and plyometrics. But I'm wary, and of course it's a Saturday so I can't get in to see my sports medicine doc.

TIA!!

Replies

• Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    If it hurts, don't. Maybe just do a warm up to get everything loose and then stretch it out? But if it's still hurting, totally not worth risking it further.

I hold all my tension in my shoulders too and neck stretches really help. Look left/right, up/down then lean left and right - better than rolling the neck and you can really ease into it and get a good stretch of the whole area.
  • vegansara
    Thanks, Dragonnade. Maybe I'll go for a walk instead and focus on stretching it out. I've been applying heat as well, maybe I'll try some ice and an anti-inflammatory.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Hey everyone,
    I just started P90X last week and on Wednesday pulled a muscle in my neck/shoulder/upper back doing KenpoX. This has been a trouble spot for me in the past, lots of knots in my upper back, but nothing like this. I get pain whenever I move my head in some directions. Thankfully Thursday was my rest day, but I still didn't feel like it was ok to work out yesterday, and I'm sitting on the couch wondering about working out today. I'm feeling really motivated but I don't want to aggravate this injury.

Advice? Today, ideally I'd be able to do the back and chest workout and plyometrics. But I'm wary, and of course it's a Saturday so I can't get in to see my sports medicine doc.

TIA!!

I would wait to get it checked out. I once had something like that and could feel that something had ripped in my upper back. It took over a year for me to be able to turn my head completely. I saw a physiatrist, who sent me for an MRI.

Take an anti-inflammatory and try icing your neck and back for 20 minute sessions. Google how to ice an injury. Try not to put too much stress on your neck. I'll bet you never realized how many times you turn your head during the average day.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    If you are really wanting to get some exercise in I would just take a long walk....I would def try some stretching a little but I wouldn't do the P90X until you see a doctor especially if this is something that is recurring...Best of luck!! :)
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    I agree with Dragonnade, I would rest today and tomorrow and see if by Monday you feel better. If not then you can always go in to see your dr. I know what it is to be motivated and not able to do much, very frustrating. Right now I'm nursing a knee injury and so have had to put P90X on pause for a few days. I'm pissed, but the rest has certainly made the knee feel better.
  • mfpcopine
    Thanks, Dragonnade. Maybe I'll go for a walk instead and focus on stretching it out. I've been applying heat as well, maybe I'll try some ice and an anti-inflammatory.

I would not stretch it out. It could be a muscular problem, but it could be something involving the cervical vertebrae and nerves. Why take a chance?

Do some bike work if you like. Although my experience has been that an injury of that kind is very distracting even if you're using only the lower body. An injury really demonstrates how interconnected our body parts are.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    chiropractor!
  • I have injuried my knee and im not sure how i did it... walking or workout but its not getting any better/ swellen off and on and is been 3wks now so its off to the docs office for me on monday. I say that to this don't let your injury go unchecked for too long. Im hoping when i see the doc on monday its not too serious and they will just prescribe someting or give me a shot.. OUCH. I hope you get better real soon.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Pushing through an injury is a great way to make it worse.

I ignored a niggling pain in my ankle, and I'm recovering from ankle surgery #3 now. Who knew that ignore a sore spot could wreck a joint so bad?

Ice & heat alternating, and get thee to the sports doc.
  • mfpcopine
    chiropractor!

That's how I ended up having back surgery. :smile:
  • vegansara
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your responses. It makes me feel much more confident that I'm doing the right thing instead of just being a slacker, you know?

I was able to get in for a massage this afternoon, so hopefully that will help. If not, I will try to get in to see my doc on Monday.

Thanks again!
  • Does anyone know anyting about the recovery time for a seperated shoulder? Actual diagnosis: Acute avulsion of the trapezius muscle at the distal portion of the clavical. Its been about 2 months and while I havent exactly not used my right arm I have done as little as possible and it doesnt seem to be getting better...