Hummus recipe with calories please

If any of you have any hummus recipes , could you post them for me please, with the calories

Was looking at some online , not sure what tahini is

I purchased a small container but it was almost 4 dollars so was hoping to save some $$ and make my own

Replies

• thunder_dan
    thunder_dan Posts: 44
    Tahini is the same thing as sesame seed paste. So it's really easy to make if you have a blender or coffee grinder.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    :) love hummus
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    you should make it with fresh garbonzo beans...just soak them overnight and boil them the next day...it makes such a difference
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    1 15oz can of Garbanzo Beans (drained and rinsed--BUT save the water)
    3 TBL Tahini
    3 Cloves Garlic
    1 TBL Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Toss all of this into your food processor and process until smooth. You may/will need to add some of the water from the can to get the right texture.

1/2 Cup Roasted Red Peppers (These can be canned or freshly roasted. However, if you are using canned, make sure that you pat them dry and/or add less water to the mix)

Pulse this until you get to the desired consistency. I like to have a couple of red pepper chunklets hanging out.

Put into a container and enjoy. This recipe (using my ingredients) ends up at 28 Calories per 2 Tablespoons. Much more better than the 60 Calories for the same amount that Athenos and most of the other commercial brands I have found are at.
  • rainbownerdsgirl
    rainbownerdsgirl Posts: 14 Member
    thanks LordBezoar, that is awesome I cant wait to try it out
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    1 can chickpeas
    1 tablespoon tahini
    1 garlic clove
    Enough oil to loosen a little.

I love adding different things, coriander (cilantro), sweet chilli sauce, harissa....try different flavours :)
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Just made this for the first time today.

I used dry beans (soaked and cooked)
    olive oil
    lemon juice
    garlic
    chives and basil
    sesame oil (I didn't have tahini and guessed at a substitute)
    salt & pepper

I expect using the canned beans you wouldn't need to add the salt.
    This made quite a bit - does anyone know how long it keeps?
  • Antjebeth08
    Antjebeth08 Posts: 42 Member
    bump
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    bump - i loovveee hummus ! x
  • eyeforinfo
    eyeforinfo Posts: 7
    From the recipe book "Power Foods" by Martha Stewart (p. 95):

A nice variation or flavor change for hummus - it makes a lot (4 cups) so if you are the only one eating, consider cutting in half).

1 lb. sweet potatoes (about 2), peeled & cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained & rinsed
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1-2 lemons)
    1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
    1/2 tsp. hot or smoked paprika, for garnish

Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water; set a steamer basket (or colander) inside pot, and bring water to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 - 12 minutes.

Transfer potatoes to a food processor. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, and garlic. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute; thin with up to 2 Tbsp. of water it necessary. Add 1/4 tsp. salt and season with pepper. Let cool; refrigerate for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Garnish with paprika before serving (optional).

I take liberties with preparation instructions...do what works for you :)

Per 1/4-cup serving: 106 calories; 6 g saturated fat; 3.4 g unsaturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 14.8 g carbohydrates; 2.9 g protein; 151 mg sodium; 2.7 mg fiber
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Just made this for the first time today.

I used dry beans (soaked and cooked)
    olive oil
    lemon juice
    garlic
    chives and basil
    sesame oil (I didn't have tahini and guessed at a substitute)
    salt & pepper

I expect using the canned beans you wouldn't need to add the salt.
    This made quite a bit - does anyone know how long it keeps?

Lovin the hummus!

Made 2 new batches today. Started with the basic recipe (I even had the tahini this time), and in one batch added fresh basil, rosemary and oregano. Yummy!

In the other batch I used the basil and oregano, and then added a pinch of cayenne pepper, and giardinera (hot peppers, carrots and cauliflower marinated in oil). In this one I used the oil from the giardinera instead of olive oil to give it even more kick.

One more modification - I have a canister of mixed beans that I use for bean soup, so I just used these instead of all garbanzo. It was a mixture of garbanzo, pinto, lima and probably some split peas and lentils in there too.