Lost 29#, but no pants size change

Options
I have lost 29#, but my pants are still the same size. My waist is much smaller, but my hips and thighs aren't. I exercise and I walk almost everywhere (I live in a city). It is kind of disheartening. The tail on my belt reaches all the way around to the side belt loop! I know you can't really influence where the fat comes off first, but this is really too much. Is there anything to be done or am I at the whim of genetics?

Replies

• ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I have lost 29#, but my pants are still the same size. My waist is much smaller, but my hips and thighs aren't. I exercise and I walk almost everywhere (I live in a city). It is kind of disheartening. The tail on my belt reaches all the way around to the side belt loop! I know you can't really influence where the fat comes off first, but this is really too much. Is there anything to be done or am I at the whim of genetics?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You're not alone--several years back, I lost over 40 pounds and only went down 1 pants size!! That was one reason I gave up last time, because it just seemed that little was being accomplished. No one had ever noticed that I had lost weight either, so it just got too depressing to work so hard and so little results.

Hang in there though! I know better this time not to depend upon sizes or comments of others but upon how I feel inside about myself. give it time and you'll great results on the "outside," too!! :flowerforyou:
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There are some excursuses that you can target areas, but then you have to be careful as when the muscles replaces fat, you may get smaller, but weight could stay or even go up slightly.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think you're a PEAR shape (so am I) and I don't think there is anything you can do but "more cardio". I know it's frustrating but you are SO much more healthy!!!!:happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird but, at a certain point, those areas that are stubborn, will suddenly become viable energy sources for your body, it should happen relatively quickly for an area. In other words, as the fat in other area's go away, the fat that is (up until now) being stubborn, will suddenly look more attractive to the body as far as energy usage is concerned.

It's a numbers game, a VERY complicated numbers game, but still, the metabolism basically determines which energy stores are the easiest for it to grab energy from, once it decides that the fat in the areas that you described are the easiest for it to get to, you will lose from those areas.

What you can't do is become discouraged and start changing your habits. Tweaking your habits to accomodate loss is fine, but don't start doing drastic stuff. If you are losing inches and pounds, then it's working, just stick with it, it will happen for you. Maybe not in the exact order you like, but it will!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for your success in weightloss and the health benefits you have acquired as a result of your efforts...don't stress about sizes, etc...just stay on path to your goals...I would be proud of a feminine, bodacious body...hips and thighs are beautifully feminine!
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    It will happen don't worry. You will be supprised. One week I measured and was the same and the next week I measured and lost and 11/2. It will come be dilligant and You will succeed. You are doing great.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I lost about the same and although I have never measured myself I can feel small differences in the ways my clothes fit. So maybe before I should have been wearing a bigger size and now they fit right. My bra definitely fits better and doesn't ride up or bunch in the back anymore. I do have an array of differenet size jeans that I have not been able to fit in over the years and I have put in order on which almost fits now to which one will take the longest to fit in to. This gives me an idea on how I am doing. When I first arranged them I couldn't even button up the next size down. Yesterday I got them buttoned and even wore them for a few hours.
    It takes time and it is very subtle when it happens. You should look at all the changes in your body and be proud. I wish I could pick and choose where the weight comes off first but since I know that is not possible I am happy when I notice even the smallest change.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Didn't someone post a comment about losing their boobs first? :laugh: Unfortunately, different bodies really do lose in some areas first, and others much later.

Don't give up!