Weigh-in, when?

I used to obsess with stepping on the scale. Basically, I did it every time I went to the bathroom. But that's not good. Because your body fluctuates throughout the day, and all. I've learned that now. But it still itches at me to go weigh in every time I'm in there, even though I haven't for 2 days now. (A new record!)

I DO weigh in on the wii fit nightly, but that's not what I use to track my progress on here. So I was wondering, how often do you fill in your progression on here?

I was thinking of doing it weekly, on Sunday morning, but would that be had, considering the weekend? Perhaps middle of the week would be better?

What do you do, and why?

Replies

• I actually agree with the once a week bit- The weekend should not make a difference. Even if your "cheat" day is on Sunday, (mine is!) you wouldn't gain 2-3 lbs in one day, (unless you went to Golden Corral, hahaha!) so it won't matter.
    The absaloute best time to weigh yourself is right when you wake up; that's when you are at your lowest weight for the day.

Once a week is motivating, and not obsessing, I would say! Just my opinion though, there may be a "perfect weigh-in time" but the one I created works for me! :)

hope this helps!
    xoxo
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I actually find weighing in daily to be helpful, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I chart my weight on a graph so I can visualize it and the jitter becomes a bit less of a surprise.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    That's what I was thinking, too, in general. Sunday is the start of the week, too, so it would be good to know where you're at the start of each one. But my "cheat" day is likely going to be Saturday, with saturday evening films, and that's our shopping day. But I suppose you're right - I won't gain that much.

I am dead curious as to how I'm doing, however. The scale taunts me every time I go in *lol*
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    I actually find weighing in daily to be helpful, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I chart my weight on a graph so I can visualize it and the jitter becomes a bit less of a surprise.

That's how it is with the Wii, though. It does a graph of your gain and loss. Which is very nice, but it's slightly different from the bathroom scale, so I assume my bathroom one is right, and take the wii with a grain of salt. However it is very nice because it shows your BMI exactly and it's lovely to see that number sink, too.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I weight myself weekly on Wednesdays, and that's the only one I write down or track. I'll weigh myself whenever I feel like it throughout the week (sometimes it's 4-5 times a week, sometimes just the once) but the Wednesday weight is the only one that counts.
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    I weigh every morning, for me I like seeing the number going down and down, but I admit I am somewhat obsessed with doing this...maybe move the scale so it does not beckon you when you walk into the bathroom.

I have one mfp friend who weighs her self monthly, and she takes the scale out of the bathroom and puts it on a shelf, Im pretty sure for me that would not work...lol...lol
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Daily. Every morning as soon as I get up. I find the information helpful, but it also means that there will be a certain amount of daily variance due to water retention (sodium intake from the day before, extra-heavy workout), "used food" still in my colon, and the randomness of my cheap crappy bathroom scale. I'm looking for trends, and I don't sweat the daily variances.

If a daily variance would upset you, weigh in less often.

There's absolutely no benefit in weighing at different times of the day unless you're just curious how much food and water are in your system or you log each time separately and track them as separate events.
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    I weigh-in every Monday evening around 5pm. I think I'd get discouraged if I was doing it daily and there were alot of fluctuations going on..
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    I weigh in every Friday morning just after I brush my teeth.
  • dirtchick97
    dirtchick97 Posts: 58
    I weigh in every Wednesday morning, as soon as I get up but after I go to the bathroom. I use to weigh everyday, but I found that discouraging, so now I just do it weekly.
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    I started out weighing on Mondays. I don't eat as well on weekends. I was getting frustrated because I felt like I'd do really well all week, then the weekend would totally blow my progress. Now I weigh on Fridays. It's totally psychological, but this way I feel like I have the whole week to undo any damage I did on the weekend before I have to weigh in. It's actually made a big difference in my outlook.
  • Mini_Me_G
    Mini_Me_G Posts: 4
    I think weighing in every other day is a good idea....sort of a compromise between weighing every day and once a week. Or just weighing in on Monday-Wednesday and Friday. Since I know I am going to weigh in on Monday, I feel more accountable over the weekend as to what I am eating. I just started myfitnesspal a few days ago so no 'real' weight loss yet....:smile:
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    I weigh everyday right before I get in the shower. I really do not pay much attention to the variances each day. I just log it when there is a difference over a period of time. If I weigh the same as I did last week then I don't log it. I'm really more concerned with my BF%.'
    Edit...
    I figure with checking it everyday if it is up a little that just motivates me more to stay on track.
  • Since I started this weight loss program I am on, I have been weighing in every morning. I keep my scale in the same spot because I found if I move it to different places, I get different numbers. I use the digital scale.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    I weigh in on Thursdays (I started this process on a Thursday) and on Mondays (I joined a group that does Monday weigh-ins), so for me, it's a good tool to keep me in check. That way I know that I can't overdo it on the weekends, since I am not weighing in until Thursday - I now have the extra incentive to do better for Monday's weight check.

Again, there's no right or wrong - but if you think you can't resist the scale every time you go into the bathroom, and don't want to weigh in every day all the time, pick it up and move it. Put it under your bed until you are ready to use it, then put it on the floor in the bathroom. When you're done weighing yourself, pick it back up and move it back under your bed.
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    I weigh myself every day, pre-shower, post-potty ;-) But I only track my weight on Monday mornings. There was a time during my previous weight loss efforts that I was obsessively weighing myself multiple times a day, so I understand the urge. Don't do it. The fluctuations in your body from water weight alone (humidity, sodium intake, hormones) is insane. And sometimes, the number on the scale can wreck your entire day. Think about other good things you've accomplished. Knees that don't hurt, jeans that fit, lungs that don't scream when you walk more than a block. Make sense?
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    The fluctuations in your body from water weight alone (humidity, sodium intake, hormones) is insane. And sometimes, the number on the scale can wreck your entire day. Think about other good things you've accomplished. Knees that don't hurt, jeans that fit, lungs that don't scream when you walk more than a block. Make sense?

^This.
  • I would say, thatg if you are weighing in every week, do it on the same day and as close to the same time as possible. That way there are fewer variables and you are more likely to get honest feedback from your scale. Also, don't skip tracking your measuerments. Sometimes you will lose inches but not weight/
  • marydb0000
    marydb0000 Posts: 43
    When I was losing, I weighed myself first thing Friday mornings. Now that I'm maintaining, I weigh first thing every morning. I know that I can fluctuate by as much as 2 pounds daily, but it keeps me mindful of my eating and exercise that day. Hope this helps!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Since I know weekends are my worst times, I always weigh in Friday mornings, first thing when I get up. No, you won't gain 2 "real" pounds overnight if you indulge on the weekends BUT you're more likely to see a "gain" because of retained water from sodium, alcohol, etc. As someone who obsesses over the scale as well, I'd rather not see that at all- it just frustrates me even if I logically know it's just water.