How accurate?

Is this information of this website? Particularly the information in the food diary, it seems too good to be true that if i stuck to this change of lifestyle and eating that I would drop 20lbs in 5 weeks! What do you guys think about this? True or not? has anyone been here long enough to be able to tell me if they have stuck to something and 5 weeks later saw the exact number this program estimated or very close to?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I haven't been on here too long, but there are many people on here who have lost lots of weight. This whole program is more of a general framework - it estimates your basic calorie needs based on your activity level, and then uses that to structure a food plan based on how much you want to lose. It's not going to be exact, but unless you pick an activity level that is way off from real life, then it should be a fairly good estimate.

Personally, I think just the fact that it has you log all your food and exercise can benefit anyone who is trying to lose weight. The site promotes living a conscious lifestyle when it comes to food, exercise and nutrition.

A side note - if it told you you will lose 20 pounds in 5 weeks then you must not have eaten as many calories as it told you, because this site promotes weight loss of no more than 2 lbs a week, and won't let you select anything more than that when setting up your program.

Hope you give it a try and find what you're looking for!! :smile:
  • I have been doing this for three weeks now. I have lost 10 pounds. I am watching what I eat, making sure not to go over my calories. I also am working out everyday, just 30 mins. I hope this helps you.
  • Robby
    Robby Posts: 41
    It's about logging your meals and you can forward to tomorrow and try out different combinations of meals until you get the right combo...then you have your day planned and you are less likely to get off track!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Welcome.

There's tons of information to read.
    Here's a thread with a bunch of links in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Lorann
    Lorann Posts: 107
    I'm not sure about the 20 lbs in 5 weeks considering that with this site the most a person should lose is 2 lbs a week.... but for myself I started back using this site at the beginning of June and as of September (3 months of using the site) I had lost 36 lbs so I was averaging just over 2 lbs a week.

I'm not sure if that helps at all :smile:

Good luck on your journey!
  • First of all, 20lbs in 5 weeks would be 4lbs per week which is too much! Second, I have been exercising regularly, eating 1200 cals per day + at least half my exercise calories for 17 weeks & have lost 49lbs. So MFP does work if you work it!
  • Well that is awesome guys! That gives me some motivation that is much needed, I have been doing 90 minutes on the elliptical everyday for the past 3 days and I also have a polar heart rate monitor which tells me how many calories I am burning during any particular exercise and it was almost 1300 calories so with that taken into consideration and the fact that I don't eat over 1200 cals a day it states I would go from 165lbs-145lbs in 5 weeks just fyi didn't want any of you to think I am full of it or starving myself lol!
  • raemundo
    raemundo Posts: 9 Member
    it's all about logging meals and exercising. i've lost 18lbs in 2 months and I'm very happy with that! I'm eating 1200 cals a day (and exercise calories) and exercising 4 days a week.
  • Mindful_Trent
    kristinsvette30 - wow - if you're doing that much exercise you really should be eating at least some of your exercise calories. Most people on MFP say you should eat at least half. The 1200 cal/day is based on no extra exercise and the weight loss you put in. If you exercise, you have to eat more to fuel your body. Here are a few good posts explaining:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Chances are, you wouldn't really lose 20 pounds in 5 weeks (or at least you wouldn't be able to sustain that kind of weight loss for too long) because your body can only get by efficiently on that kind of calorie deficit for so long before you start experiencing side-effects.

Good luck!
  • Ok...so what exactly does that mean? I wouldn't be able to get by for too long on that type of program before I would start experiencing side effects?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Well I'm not a doctor or a nutrition expert or anything, but the general idea is that if you're just doing normal daily stuff then the 1200 calories (assuming that's what MFP suggested you eat) will be fine. When you exercise, it burns extra calories. Alot of people think that that just means you will lose weight faster, but when you are working your body harder like that, you need to eat enough calories to sustain the extra work. 1200 calories isn't going to cut it if you're burning a bunch in exercise on top of normal daily activity.

You have to remember that the calorie plan MFP gave you already has a built-in calorie deficit so you will lose the amount per week you set it up to lose. It's not good for your body to lose more than about 2 pounds per week - so if you're already setup to lose that many, then you should be eating most of your exercise calories. Since I started I haven't tried exercising without eating my calories, so I don't personally know first-hand what the side effects would be (especially if you do it long-term), but I would imagine your body would have a hard time running efficiently and you could even go into starvation mode if your deficit is high enough on a regular basis - this would make it hard to lose weight even if you are using more calories than you are eating.