Any mothers can you help me?

Simplicity
Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
Hi I thought i would post this question on this website 'cause everyone seems friendly and helpful.

I have just started giving piano lessons, and i have a test pupil being my nephew who is fourteen. But this week I have taken on another child who is 7 and I have no idea what the mentality of a 7 year old is.

So Mothers, what do 7 year olds listen too. do they still do nursery rhymes and stuff or have they out grown them. Do they sing simple melodies together in classes like i used to? I want to prepare something simple for him tommorrow but i want to be roughly in the right area.

Of course i suppose i could ask him, but 'm just doing a little forward thinking for the first couple of lessons.

Any help appreciated,
Ps. I know this is a diet website lol!!:smile:

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    I have a 7 year old and a 9 year old and right now they are into heavy metal (don't know why) and country but that's because i listen to country only and their dad likes heavy metal you need to just ask the little kid so what types of music would you like to learn and listen too give him/her the option to choose that way they will enjoy it more...
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member

Ps. I know this is a diet website lol!!:smile:

It is???? :noway: :laugh: :laugh:

My dd is 8-years old and listens to the music on the radio. I would steer away from the nursery rhymes. :flowerforyou:

Good luck! :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Why don't you ask the kid?
    But won't their level of playing come into play more than their musical tastes?
    While I'm no huge fan of "Mary Had a Little Lamb", it's the only thing I can manage on a keyboard so I play it with pride! :laugh:
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Hi! I have a 7 -13-and 17 year old and they all have their special music they like. I do not think 7 year olds like nursery rhymes anymore. Too old for that. My 7 likes High School Musical tunes, Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana music. She also finds the sponge bob songs hilarious too. He even has his own CD'S! Good luck!
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    While I'm no huge fan of "Mary Had a Little Lamb", it's the only thing I can manage on a keyboard so I play it with pride! :laugh:

that was my only point. nursery rhymes are easier to play, thats why i though i would check.
    i will ask him tommorrow I'm just not sure what to do for his first lesson. Here comes a new experience for me lol.:smile:

Thanks for the replies too. it points me in the righ direction.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Hi! I have a 7 -13-and 17 year old and they all have their special music they like. I do not think 7 year olds like nursery rhymes anymore. Too old for that. My 7 likes High School Musical tunes, Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana music. She also finds the sponge bob songs hilarious too. He even has his own CD'S! Good luck!

Now to teach a kid the basic melody of the Spongebob theme song would be wicked cool!! :wink:
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member

Agreed. I have a 5yr old and a 10yr old and they both listen to everything mentioned above.
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    I'm not a mother but i'm the oldest of 5 kids. My youngest sister will be 7 soon and she likes pop music...she knows all the words to songs they play over and over again on the radio. It probably depends on what the parents let the kid listen to, some parents sensor more than others what music they let their kids listen to. What about songs from those Kids Bop CD's that they sell on tv, theres prob a playlist online somewhere, not sure if they would work for piano lessons though. good luck!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    My daughter turns seven in 2 weeks. She listens to stuff on the radio. She's no longer interested in nursery rhymes. Hope this helps.
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    i have a 6 and 10 year old and they listen to about everything. They listen to radio disney most of the time. As far as my 6 year she loves spongebob, she knows alot of country and she just sometimes makes up songs and sings them out loud.....
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    I'm a teacher and a mom and from a teaching viewpoint we do a thing called an interest survey where you learn what the child's interests are so you can teach the child using those interests. A 7 year-old is too old for nursery rhymes however, you have to start with the basics and most likely that won't include the Jonas Brothers etc. While teaching the fundamentals you may have to start with nursery rhymes and move toward their area of interest as they progress. Good luck.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    My daughter is 6. She primarily likes the Beach Boys and the Beatles (gets it from her mother). However in school, they do sing a lot of simple songs. Not quite nursery rhymes, but very easy music to learn.

I took piano at that age too. At the time, I used very simple song books that had popular songs of that time (this was the late 60's, early 70's). The one that stands out in my head is Windy by the Association. Very easy to play.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    My daughter is 7 and she listens ONLY to Michael Jackson at the moment......it's been at least a couple years since she's outgrown "children songs" and nursery rhymes.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    When I was around that age, I had an organ given to me.
    I learned how to play, by playing songs that I knew how the melody went.

You can't go wrong and this probably is good timing for!!!!!

Christmas songs...:drinker:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    The only thing I can play....

Oh when the Saints, Oh when the Saints, Oh When the Saints come marching in....I'd like to be in that number oh when the saints come marching in!

:laugh:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    When I was around that age, I had an organ given to me.
    I learned how to play, by playing songs that I knew how the melody went.

You can't go wrong and this probably is good timing for!!!!!

Christmas songs...:drinker:

It's always time for Christmas songs in my book......I know I am weird!:glasses:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member

that was my only point. nursery rhymes are easier to play, thats why i though i would check.
    i will ask him tommorrow I'm just not sure what to do for his first lesson. Here comes a new experience for me lol.:smile:

Thanks for the replies too. it points me in the righ direction.

I took piano lessions when I was younger around 5 and started with the easy nursery rhymes, just simple keys to use and because most kids know the melody. I also remember when the saints go marching (which was also mentioned). Once they get the hang of where the keys are, it will be easier to change the music. good luck, and have fun. I really enjoyed my piano lessons, and still like to play when I get a chance. :smile: