Don't ever take your car to Walmart and get the oil changed!

crudd123
crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
Two months ago we gave my daughter my Toyota Camry to drive. Yesterday she took it to Walmart to get the oil changed. They didn't put any oil in it whatsoever and she drove it 34 miles and the engine blew up! A perfectly good car ruined! It 's now sitting in the mechanic's garage waiting for the Walmart manager to come hear what's wrong with it! I'm afraid we're screwed! What a day!

Replies

• apeecaleb
    apeecaleb Posts: 58 Member
    My husband went in once a few years back. They told him that it would be about 1 to 1.5 hrs because of being shorthanded. He waited 2 hours and finally was able to get someone in the back, and when they went to charge him they couldn't find any paper work. So the attendant went and asked the "mechanic" what was up, and he said the truck was too durty that he couldn't change the oil. Needless to say we have never gone back.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    I would NEVER go to WalMart except maybe for tires.

I do the oil myself! Saves all agony.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    I would NEVER go to WalMart except maybe for tires.

I do the oil myself! Saves all agony.
    That.
    -wtk
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    I took it to wal mart probably about a year ago and when they were done they didn't tighten the oil cap all the way so oil was spilling out all over the engine...fast forward 3 months I was taking it to the dealership to have some routine maintenance done and decided to have them go ahead and change the oil (I didn't know Wal Mart had not screwed the lid on yet) and the guys at the dealership spent like an hour trying to figure out if there was an oil leak somewhere....however I have taken my car to wal mart to get several oil changes and that's the only problem I've ever had
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    they've got the same type of folks working at Jiffy Lube for 3x the cost ..... stuff happens until you do it or yourself or they make an oil changing machine there will be error where ever you go. And for Christs sakes never get your oil changed at the steal er.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    JiffyLube! Takes about 15 minutes.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I prefer Mr. Lube.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    My thought is dont go to Walmart ever for anything. 16+ years and counting since I have stepped foot in that God forsaken place.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    I don't think in all the years I have been driving I have ever paid anyone to change my oil. It's just so simple, why would I pay someone to do it.

Especially Walmart, I went there last week (edit: I live in a super small town we have like 3 major stores....) to get lightscribe CD's and the person in electronics asked, "Is that the brand?" are you for real???? Working in the electronics dept. and you don't know what lightscribe discs are? :noway: OMG I try to avoid all contact with walmart employees for fear of their stupidity.....(sorry if any of you work there....)
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Getting your oil changed at WalMart is like playing Russian Roulette. It's not like they're known for hiring the most competant workers out there. WalMart wouldn't want to hire any real mechanics, because they would have to pay them accordingly. But to the OP, if WalMart ruined your car, they should be buying you a new engine and anything else that was damaged. It's certainly not the first time it's happened.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Two months ago we gave my daughter my Toyota Camry to drive. Yesterday she took it to Walmart to get the oil changed. They didn't put any oil in it whatsoever and she drove it 34 miles and the engine blew up! A perfectly good car ruined! It 's now sitting in the mechanic's garage waiting for the Walmart manager to come hear what's wrong with it! I'm afraid we're screwed! What a day!
    No lights came on, warning that there was no oil in the car? :huh:

I had them put the wrong size filter on, and was leaking oil all the way home. Any of these things could happen anywhere, though. Where is everyone getting this "Walmart has lesser quality employees than any other oil change place" from?
  • GasMasterFlash
    I don't think in all the years I have been driving I have ever paid anyone to change my oil. It's just so simple, why would I pay someone to do it.

Especially Walmart, I went there last week (edit: I live in a super small town we have like 3 major stores....) to get lightscribe CD's and the person in electronics asked, "Is that the brand?" are you for real???? Working in the electronics dept. and you don't know what lightscribe discs are? :noway: OMG I try to avoid all contact with walmart employees for fear of their stupidity.....(sorry if any of you work there....)
    Because they haven't heard of Lightscribe CD's? Really? They aren't that popular. I haven't burned a CD in ages.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    My thought is dont go to Walmart ever for anything. 16+ years and counting since I have stepped foot in that God forsaken place.

You're right. They should fire the hundreds of thousands of employees nation wide, and shut that budget-friendly place down (largest employer; second to the government). We'll all be better off for it.
    /end sarcasm
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    No lights came on, warning that there was no oil in the car? :huh:

I had them put the wrong size filter on, and was leaking oil all the way home. Any of these things could happen anywhere, though. Where is everyone getting this "Walmart has lesser quality employees than any other oil change place" from?
    You're right, it could happen anywhere. But it's MUCH less likely to happen at a reputable shop. Because yes, Walmart has lesser quality employees. I don't believe that's even debatable. I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose. But if they were skilled at something, they wouldn't be at Walmart.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    WTF is a lightscribe CD? :huh:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Just don't ever go to WalMart for anything.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    I take my Highlander to the dealer I bought it from. Back when I was younger, I would take my truck to Walmart.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    How about you just don't go to Walmart.

However, even though I hate Walmart w/ a passion, this happens at other places too.
  • mommy2girlies
    mommy2girlies Posts: 56 Member
    Actually my mom brought her car there once a few years ago, and a month later her car was running bad (It was a pretty new car) brought it somewhere else, and her car was leaking oil, because they never screwed the top back on tight! I hope her car is fixable for a decent price. Wonder if you can prove it's there fault...
  • GasMasterFlash
    You're right, it could happen anywhere. But it's MUCH less likely to happen at a reputable shop. Because yes, Walmart has lesser quality employees. I don't believe that's even debatable.
    This is a case of forgetting to add the oil back in. That's has nothing to do with skill. It's a mistake that could happen to the most skilled mechanic or the least-experienced tech at an oil change joint.
    But if they were skilled at something, they wouldn't be at Walmart.
    You're familiar with the unemployment rate right now, right?
This discussion has been closed.