Workout ball

OK... Per a suggestion from a post a couple weeks ago, I purchased one of those workout balls to keep at work - sit on at my desk....

Is there any particular way I should be sitting on it?

By the way - my boss thinks I'm a complete dork!

Replies

• Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    OK... Per a suggestion from a post a couple weeks ago, I purchased one of those workout balls to keep at work - sit on at my desk....

Is there any particular way I should be sitting on it?

By the way - my boss thinks I'm a complete dork!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    that is a wonderful idea! who cares how dorky anyone thinks you are!! I've been entertaining this idea at my job for quite some time now, so i have to ask which size ball you got, to enable you to be at the right height at your desk?
    Any way that you find comfortable to sit on the ball is the right way! This is improving your balance and also utilizing alot of your core muscles just to stay upright all day! BRAVO for this move towards a healthier lifestyle, even while working a desk job like alot of us have to do. Keep me updated, as I am right behind you on this wonderful idea, cant wait to get my ball.
    Let them laugh at you, in the end you will be the one coming out on top because you can still get up and down with ease and have been burning extra calories from maintaining balance all day!
  • Life_is_Good
    I'm 5'6" so I got the 65 inch ball. It feels a little too low for my legs (even though it looks high enough next to my chair). I'll give it a couple days & see. I think I may bring this one home & get the 75 inch for work.
  • I know this guy that was afraid of what people thought with him exercising, so he didn't want to do too much, i.e. to get laughed at (he's a c.o. at a prison) so he combines his exercising at night (just sitting on the ball) so that he can do that while watching his tv shows. By the end of the night he's broken out into a sweat in order to keep his balance. So, in his mind, minimal effort for maximum results.

I've tried it, but I can't get through an entire SVU show yet!! :blushing:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    I've never heard of this! Where do you get one? How expensive are they? Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Life_is_Good
    I've never heard of this! Where do you get one? How expensive are they? Thanks!:flowerforyou:

I got mine @ Target - $26 (Reebok) - For all sizes, they were around that price.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    There is an elementary school in MN (worthington) that has the WHOLE kindergarten class sitting on balls instead of chairs! They went through huge instructions before they gave them to the kids and if they get in trouble, then they HAVE to sit in a chair :laugh:
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    I've just started this as well a little over a week ago! :bigsmile:

And personally, I have no plans on logging "sitting" on it. Any other exercise you betcha. Sitting is challenging enough to actually "Do" something on it will be killer! :laugh:

<< Is there any particular way I should be sitting on it? >>

I am practically in constant motion. I will bounce on mine like a hippity hop as I am waiting for pages to load. Or I straddle it and lift my feet, hugging the sides ( think sitting on a horse. ) trying to keep my balance or myself stable-ish. :laugh: Also I do mini circular motions alternating directions. So far thats been entertaining enough, I'm still new to this too. :wink:

I will keep my eye on this thread and my fingers poised in case I or any of you come up with something new.

Happy Hovering!! :bigsmile:
  • iluvsparkles
    you are making me excited to get my ball! What size ball do you have? Im afraid i wont be tall enough to get to my keyboard, since i sit at this desk all day
  • Sinnettfamily
    Sinnettfamily Posts: 79 Member
    I have a ball at home and I work at a desk all day long, not much exercise. That is an awesome idea to bring it to work and try to sit on it. At home I use it to do crunches and other exercises but I think I am going to try it at work. I work with all guys so I am sure they will laugh but when they see me skinny and hot they won't laugh no more will they. :wink:
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    just make sure your knees are in line with your hips. Not higher or lower, it will add strain on your back.
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Have you seen that episode on The Office? too funny
  • Life_is_Good
    just make sure your knees are in line with your hips. Not higher or lower, it will add strain on your back.

Thank you! My knees have been higher than my hips. Now my knees are a little straightened out? Is that right, or do I need to invest in the 75 in ball?
  • iluvsparkles
    i got the 75 ball today. it is huge! i blew it up to the recommended circumfrence (im not that tall, but i plan on getting another smaller ball as well...) So i am currently deflating it a little at a time to get it to the right height. I definitely think that the 75 is for taller people... even underinflated from the suggested size it is still very stout and sturdy!
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153

Thank you! My knees have been higher than my hips. Now my knees are a little straightened out? Is that right, or do I need to invest in the 75 in ball?

I believe:
    55 is for those approx 5'6 and under
    65 is for 5'7 to 6 feet
    75 for 6 feet and taller
    Check the fullness of your ball if you have the correct size and your knees are still high then maybe its not full enough.