JUICER SUGGESTIONS??

For all those people out there who use a Juicer. What brand? model? and why? I'm lookin to tear me up some veggies and fruits.

Also, who uses the pulp? soups? salsas? suggestions?

Thanks

Sarge

Replies

• sargeownsguns
    sargeownsguns Posts: 8 Member
    nobody out there uses a juicer?
  • lmsp86
    lmsp86 Posts: 9
    I'm also interested in juicing. Hopefully someone can give some tips! :)
  • sassyjvg
    sassyjvg Posts: 32
    I have a Breville Juice Fountain Plus which is supposed to one of the best on the market, however, I quickly realized how much waste is involved in juicing as well as the expense involved in it and have shelved it for the past few years sadly. I have recently invested in a Vita Mix blender which pulverizes everything from seeds to skins to a smooth consistency. I couldn't be more pleased with it. I really don't mind drinking my vegetables now! And I do use this think daily.
  • sargeownsguns
    There seems to be quite the opposing views between a Juicer and Blender/Mixer. I was curious if anyone out there has used/tried using the pulp left over from the juicer for soups or salsas? Also, I've heard people using it for composte as well. We tend to buy alot of fruits and vegetables, but then after a week they aren't as fresh and end up wasting alot. I thought maybe a juicer or blender would be best to put them to use.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    I got a Ninja blender, it seems to take most fruit/veggies I have tried and turn them into a pretty smooth puree. Like you mentioned, the blender keeps the pulp and you get that fiber, etc.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    I have a jucier....Juiceman I believe! I try to juice once a week, sometimes whatever fruits and veggies are left over I will make something fancy! I haven't tried any recipes with the pulp yet, as of now I compost it! :) I love anything made with spinach juice!! :)
  • sargeownsguns
    went with the Breville Ikon Multi-Speed Juice Fountain
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    We have a GE Juicer that was from Wal-Mart for $50. I love it, we use it almost everyday! :) And no we use a strainer to get all the pulp out and throw it out.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Breville Juice Fountain Plus...it's the best juicer I've ever used!
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    I have the Healthmaster, which does all of this. They have a good replacement plan. I love it and haven't used it yet for a minute had to take a break from juicing. However I plan to pick it back up with one of my snack meals daily.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    I don't know if you can call it a "juicer", but I have a Ninja... got the one that blends directly into the cups, but I end up using the pitcher b/c the cups don't hold my whole breakfast shake.

That's the only real drawback for me, but again... I just do smoothies. It says you can make soups, but I'm not sure if it's powerful enough to actually juice.

The things I like best about it are (1) it was relatively inexpensive at $80; (2) it's small enough to sit on my counter without taking a lot of room; and (3) it's easy to clean... the blade comes out and rinses off easily, then the pitcher is all one piece.

Good luck on your search :-)
  • Superlats
    Superlats Posts: 5
    I have the Breville Juice Fountain Plus 98XL, I think its called. It retails for around $149. I love it and highly recommend it. It is easy to use and clean. I make a juice called the mean green - from the movie Fat, sick and nearly dead, a documentary about a guy who lost a hundred pounds on a 60 day juice fast. Great movie that delves into the American diet and our obsession with fast food and processed foods, and other unhealthy eating habits and the repurcussions of eating poorly.

In any event the mean green is 1/2 a lemon (peeled), two green apples, 6 kale leaves, 1 whole cucumber, 4 stalks of celery, and one thumb size of ginger. The drink has a citrus taste to it and I have found gives me a nice burst of energy. It also gives me the nutrients of a very healthy, non processed, no sugar, no sodium, natural juice. The mean green is inexpensive to make and I get the health benefits of Kale, an excellent green vegetable that I am not likely to eat in any other form.

I also love making fresh orange juice in the juicer. Valencia oranges (peeled) are a must.
  • Superlats
    Superlats Posts: 5
    Don't be fooled by the weight lost counter. I have dropped 47 lbs since December 2009 on Weight Watchers online and have just started using my fitness pal more recently in conjunction with weight watchers online to keep me focused and on track.

I love the juicer and found it is an excellent way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Honestly, a lot depends on what you are juicing. As others have noted, many types of blenders with pulverize the fruit enough that it is essentially juiced--especially if you are then running the "juice" through a nut milk bag or other strainer to remove the pulp. However, it should be noted that the taste of this juice is generally not as good as from an actual juicer. If you plan on juicing mostly fruits, then the centrifuge style (like the one it looks like you purchased) is perfectly fine. However, if you want to juice a lot of vegetables as well--especially if you want to juice leafy greens or wheatgrass, the auger-style (single or double) juicer is the way to go.

I have a Vitamix for my blending, a Food processor for stuff that needs to keep some texture and am about to purchase my first auger-style juicer. (A Champion G5-PG-710, FWIW).
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Auger style is the way to go. Omega makes great juicers. You want one that goes slow to prevent nutrition loss from the heat created by high speed juicers. You can save the left over pulp for salads to prevent waste and get your fiber. See some of John Kohlers videos or go to www.living-foods.com. He's pretty informative.
  • sargeownsguns
    I was initially interested in that same model because of the price and had the same amount of positive reviews, but Bed Bath & Beyond was out of stock (go figure). I tried looking at a few other retail stores, but nobody sold the Breville brands which I was pretty much set on.

Some Facebook friends have steered me towards a couple websites on juicing, with a wide vareity of recipes for vegetables, fruits and combinations. As you stated, the vegetable juice can be pretty bitter so cutting it with some natural fruit juice makes sense.

A buddy of mine turned me onto that Documentary, I'll check it out.

I was interested in doing a fast or cleanse to just clean my whole system out and start with a clean slate if you will.

Thanks for your advice.

sarge
  • AmythistRae
    AmythistRae Posts: 107
    i use and love my Breville
  • AmythistRae
    AmythistRae Posts: 107
    There seems to be quite the opposing views between a Juicer and Blender/Mixer. I was curious if anyone out there has used/tried using the pulp left over from the juicer for soups or salsas? Also, I've heard people using it for composte as well. We tend to buy alot of fruits and vegetables, but then after a week they aren't as fresh and end up wasting alot. I thought maybe a juicer or blender would be best to put them to use.blent

we do alot of juicing and blending...yes you can use the pulp for other stuff but you can also dehydrate the pulp very good...like fruit roll ups....also I have a blend tech blender and love smoothies a great way to not waste ripe fruit and veggies.
  • sargeownsguns
    Yeah we already have a blender, nothing too fancy but handles doing smoothies. Has just enough power that I can make my own vegetable puree, hummus or whatnot; but its kind of a pain in the *kitten*.
  • sargeownsguns
    BUMP!!!

Question for Juicers out there. Any advice on picking the best vegetables and fruits? Does "riper" the fruit or veg yield more
    juice? or does it not even matter?

sarge