Are Wrists tattoos considered trashy??

Replies

• futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    In my opinion, there are 3 trashy tattoos:
    1) Butterfly/flower/stars/chinese symbol on ankle
    2) Tribal arm band on a guy (well more stupid than trashy)
    3) Tattoo on the center of a girls back above her *kitten* (aka tramp stamp)

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's also different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.
  • EgMay
    EgMay Posts: 13 Member
    One of my old bosses was an education major and she had a tattoo on the inside of her wrist, and many education majors I know at my college have wrist tattoos. As long as you invest in a stylish bracelet or watch that can cover it up when you have to teach, I don't see why employers would have a problem with it. Also, it's certainly not trashy :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    No! Don't worry about what others think. I think wrist tats are nice! Tasteful.

I have only ever thought one tat was trashy, and that was one that I heard about on the radio station I listen to in the mornings. The tat is on the lower back of a girl and says "Semen Demon"..........yes, you heard right. It was sprawled across her back! Who would ever do that to themselves???? Worst nickname ever.

http://www.edge.ca/Blogs/DeansBlog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10343475
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's aso different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.

I agree! and how dumb are you gonna look in the nursing home when you are 85 and they are changing your diaper and you have this wrinkly tattoo above your wrinkly old butt?
  • I have a four leaf clover and stars on my left wrist, I think it is a cute place to get them and a lot of people don't notice you have it. Plus, I can cover it with a watch if I wanted to :)
  • I have a wrist tattoo done in all white ink. I love it, and I get tons of compliments. It is not noticeable, though, unless pointed out.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Do what you want with your life and your body. All the people who think they're trashy and look down on others for them are generally old and will be dead soon. Then the rest of us can actually do what we like without being made to feel bad about ourselves. How nice does that sound?
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's also different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I know a lot of people who find 'tramp stamps' super sexy. I don't have one, but I see no problem with them--or any of the others you find 'trashy', either.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    I have a tattoo on my wrist. Its the word "Hope" in black ink. Most of the time, no one even notices it. I work at a college, and I have never had an issue where its effected my work. It is also an easy spot to cover with a bracelet or something that that.

If you are really concerned read your employee hand book, there are usually guides to what is allowed to be shown/worn and what is not.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member

I would like to clarify that I'm not condemning back tattoos. A friend of mine has this wicked tattoo that covers her entire back from butt to neck. It's aso different when you have tattoos all over and you're just using the available skin. However, if you only have one tattoo on your back, putting it on the area just above your *kitten* is super trashy.

I agree! and how dumb are you gonna look in the nursing home when you are 85 and they are changing your diaper and you have this wrinkly tattoo above your wrinkly old butt?

Pretty sure, if I were 85 and getting my diaper changed I wouldn't give a *kitten* about what my "tramp stamp" looked like.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    It's wise to consider how it will affect people at work. If you work in a conservative environment, you need to be careful about the image that you project.

I would suggest that you should always consider the image you project. Your style, clothes, atitude and tatoos are the image you have chosen and people will judge you based on that image.
  • ICEHatchet
    ICEHatchet Posts: 9
    There was a tattoo exhibit in the Smithsonian several years back and since then, they are becoming accepted in most places.

The only trashy tattoo work I've ever seen was "done by a friend in a garage for ten bucks and the ink is splotchy and the lines were too wide and I-wish-I-never-got-it-at-all". That is why I carefully choose an artist based on his or her past work and I pay top dollar for it. Oh, and my artist needs to be drug free. I've seen too many tattoos done by drug users. They look great some days and other days they look like the friend in the garage did them. NO TWEAKERS!

A wrist tattoo is not trashy. As others have stated though, some job environments still have preconceived notions about what is professional and what is not. The attitudes are changing, but not everyone is there yet.

Finally, make sure you 100% want it for a few months. Tattoos gotten on a whim are often regrets later. I usually wait several months and make sure I truly want it. That's my 2 cents worth.
  • mwelch0212
    mwelch0212 Posts: 11
    I have a tattoo on each of my inner wrists, and I love them. It took many people (including my mother who hates tattoos and is always checking me for new ones) several months before noticing them. I work in a conservative industry (insurance) so I scaled mine properly to be covered by a watch and bracelet if I ever need them to be, but it's rare that I even do that - my boss has noticed them and thinks they're really neat.

Do what you want, but just make sure you're comfortable with what you want :)
  • Jeaniehop
    Jeaniehop Posts: 88 Member
    I have a bracelet of stars and the moon around my wrist and have a public job and get lots of compliments. I have never had anyone say anything negative, not that I would care at all what anyone would say but I think you should be just fine.
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Historically in some circles wrist tattoos have had negative connotations because that's where people were tattooed in concentration camps so the wrist has been considered taboo. I think it is a personal choice. I wouldn't choose it for myself but I don't think it is trashy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    GOOD tattoos don't look trashy on any part of your body.

Fixed that for you. :wink:

Bad tattoos - ones that look like a monkey drew on you with a magic marker - look like poop anywhere.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    I want one on my wrist too, I found one that says believe and the B is a pink heart. Its gorgeous and motivating, I dont think its trashy at all but I do believe that once my husband becomes a football coach that I would find some cute cuffs to cover it up, some people just arent that accepting of art!
  • It's really a shame that so many people have given the lower back tattoo a trashy stereotype. When done correctly with a good design choice, they can be beautiful, just like anywhere else on the body.
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    I have tattoos on both my inner wrists and I love them

Go for it and dont worry about what others think :-D

xx
  • messe_jesse
    messe_jesse Posts: 16
    Absolutely not. I have a tattoo on the inside of my left wrist. It's never been a problem at work. On the rare occasion that I think I should cover it up, I wear a watch. Do what works for you and don't worry about others.