NEED HELP! Indian Food

jenbar
jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
I'm going out with a bunch of moms for our monthly dinner, and it's Indian Food tonight. I'm a virgin to Indian and don't know what I should get?!
HELP!!

Replies

• jenbar
    I'm going out with a bunch of moms for our monthly dinner, and it's Indian Food tonight. I'm a virgin to Indian and don't know what I should get?!
    HELP!!
  • Are you looking at help in chosing something that has little calorries or good food rgardless of health?
    I have been cooking Indian food for a few months now and I love it. My family prefers the dishes with cocnut milk or yogurt in them the most. They don't taste creamy but rather have a fuller taste more complete. I don't know how any of the food is for calories and health perspective. hope this helps.
    Christine
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Tandoori chicken, although high in sodium, will be one of the lower-fat items on the menu. Anything with "tikka" in it will be delicious, but involve butter and heavy cream. The breads, although absolutely delicious, will be covered in ghee (clarified butter), so you might want to stick to rice as a side. "masala" (without "tikka") will be a flavorful blend of spices, and usually not too much on the hot side. Curry dishes are usually lower fat, but still pretty rich.

Raita is a delicious cucumber yogurt salad, that I usually get as a side. In general, although the food is very rich, the portions are usually sensible.

(can you tell I'm an Indian food junkie?)
    :flowerforyou:
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/search.php?search_type=&searchpro=indian+take+away

i found some meals on the above link
    the good thing there is plenty of vegetarian options at an indian

i think i would just not go too overboard and look upon it as a reward
  • Vivi, do you have any cook books that you would recommend?
  • jenbar
    these are the choices...
    -two appetizers (veggie and meat)

-choice of entree
    *veggie (
    *chicken - tika masala
    *lamb - ragan josh

-naan (bread)
  • jenbar
    I guess I can order whatever I want, or stick with the veggie.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Vivi, do you have any cook books that you would recommend?

I have one called "Madhur Jaffreys Indian Cooking", but truthfully, since I'm lucky enough to live in a city with a large Indian population, I go to restaurants.

Everything I've tried from the cookbook, although delicious, is really labor intensive. Also, for proper tandoori chicken, you need a tandoori oven. Maybe in my dream house. . .:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    I would order tikka masala, some naan and work out extra tomorrow. Call it a cheat meal, and enjoy yourself!
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    OOOH i love Indian. It have a date every week with my best friend on Sunday nights at the Indian restaurant close by and oh goodness, I am addicted. I know its bad, but I can't give up my Sunday night date with my friend, he'd be distraught.
    He's on a diet too (even though he looks like a rail) and we always share a gobi appetizer which is cauliflower and we usually get lamb saag or chicken tikki masala or chicken biryani.

naan is addictive. it should be its own food group.

We love going so much because the man who owns it has the best stories from India. My friend is an International studies major with a focus on Asia and its cultures so we treat it like its a study session for school....even though I'm a voice major...haha.

anyway, you should be fine, just watch how much rice you eat.
    enjoy!