How is that possible???

Just for grins and giggles I weighed myself Saturday night just before heading to bed (my weigh-in day is Sunday morning). I looked down in shock that the scale said I had lost 4.5 lbs in a week! I was so excited.

Then without even thinking about it I got on the scale Sunday morning and it said I only lost 1 lb.

How is it possible to have that much of a change in a few hours? I want to go with the 4.5lb lost but thinking maybe it was wrong?

Replies

• klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    This confirms my belief that scales are evil! :) I have never figured out how there could be such a change in such a small amount of time. I'm sure it has something to do with water intake, metabolism, etc. but I find it frustrating. That is why I force myself to only step on the scale once a week at the same time so I don't slowly drive myself insane!

But remember that slow is the way to go. Be proud of losing 1 lb!
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    I have had this happen...and it sucks! I always say it's water weight bc I know I didn't gain weight over night :wink: you may want to start measuring yourself (if you're not already doing it) bc even when the scale isn't moving you'll be surprised to see that you're losing inches. Personally I always go with the higher number just bc I'd rather be over estimated on my weight than under. Congrats on the 22 lb lost, and much success on your continued journey.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Just for grins and giggles I weighed myself Saturday night just before heading to bed (my weigh-in day is Sunday morning). I looked down in shock that the scale said I had lost 4.5 lbs in a week! I was so excited.

Then without even thinking about it I got on the scale Sunday morning and it said I only lost 1 lb.

How is it possible to have that much of a change in a few hours? I want to go with the 4.5lb lost but thinking maybe it was wrong?

Something sounds off with your scale, that's for sure! :noway: Most everyone weighs a good 3 to 5 pounds MORE at night then they do first thing in the morning! Maybe you need to invest in another scale, if yours is old. :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    the only thing I can say is that you KNOW you didnt gain/lose 4 pounds in one day:wink: . It has to be the bodily fluids and waste that is in your system.

That, and scales are evil:laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=87

link to great article answering that question.:flowerforyou:
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=87

link to great article answering that question.:flowerforyou:

Thanks for posting this link....I just read it and it makes sense!!!! I never realized all those factors played a role in the scales fluctuation.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member

Well, the links are great and the articles are neato and that's all true and correct and great stuff,,, but that's not what happened here.

Yes - your scale is wrong. Remember high school science class - especially intro physics? The law of conservation of mass states that your scale is inaccurate.

You're saying you were 3-1/2 pounds heavier in the morning than you were at bedtime. Well - if you didn't add anything to your body then there's no way you "gained" weight overnight. Conservation of mass - matter is neither created nor destroyed. That 3.5 pounds would have to come from somewhere. Did you get up in the middle of the night and drink almost 1/2 gallon of water?

Were you nakie or in the same clothes both times? If you were in undies at bedtime and jeans & boots in the morning then that could be your 3 pounds. Do you always stand consistently? I can fudge my scale by 2 pounds just by shifting weight, and it's a pretty good digital scale. I'll bet that's what happened.

Hmmmmm,,,

Don't sweat it, the onesie-twosies don't mean anything anyway. Just watch the long term trend. :bigsmile:
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Yeah I think it was the scale. I had been using my boyfriends scale at his house on Sunday's and this past weekend I went out and purchased my own.

I weighed myself three times (within a 30 minute window) and it was the lower number I go the first time at my boyfriends house (minus a lb.). So from now on I'm using my own scale.

It's nice to see that you've lost more than you thought.

Next investment - measuring tape! lol