Help me calm my nerves!!! Wisdom teeth removal...

Replies

• Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    It's not that bad. I had mine taken out when I was 15- so they were cut out b/c they weren't even near the surface yet. Just be sure to have lots of pudding, jello, and anything you can eat w/ out chewing. I slept for basically 3 straight days. It was wonderful haha!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    I had a similar issue...impacted and touching nerves. I got mine out about 5 years ago....in Africa and had no issue...feel any better?
    But seriously, sure there's a chance of numbness but it's one of those things the doc tells you on the very remote chance it happens to avoid a lawsuit. They're trained to do it properly, I'm sure you'll be fine. As for the anesthesia...it's easier than falling asleep. So much better than localized.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    I used to work for an oral surgeon, and we did wisdom tooth extractions every day. I saw a lot of nasty cases; impacted, sideways, close to nerves, the works. I never saw any patient with any permanent nerve damage, or any other lasting effects. Just enjoy the anesthesia, and bring someone that will video tape all your silly talking afterwards. It'll be easy, you'll see.
  • Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    I had a similar issue...impacted and touching nerves. I got mine out about 5 years ago....in Africa and had no issue...feel any better?
    But seriously, sure there's a chance of numbness but it's one of those things the doc tells you on the very remote chance it happens to avoid a lawsuit. They're trained to do it properly, I'm sure you'll be fine. As for the anesthesia...it's easier than falling asleep. So much better than localized.

Yes!!! Thank you so much :flowerforyou: I'm in Australia so we are generally pretty lucky and have access to good services :smile:
  • Kai85
    I used to work for an oral surgeon, and we did wisdom tooth extractions every day. I saw a lot of nasty cases; impacted, sideways, close to nerves, the works. I never saw any patient with any permanent nerve damage, or any other lasting effects. Just enjoy the anesthesia, and bring someone that will video tape all your silly talking afterwards. It'll be easy, you'll see.

Brilliant! So glad I reached out to the wonderful world of MFP! That is fantastic news
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member

Yes!!! Thank you so much :flowerforyou: I'm in Australia so we are generally pretty lucky and have access to good services :smile:
    I'm in Australia now :) Haven't really encountered a dentist since I've been here but I think I'll be going soon
  • klindaberry
    klindaberry Posts: 13 Member
    All of my wisdom teeth were impacted. I had no problems and no numbness once the novacaine wore off. Good luck to you on getting yours done.
  • Kai85

I'm in Australia now :) Haven't really encountered a dentist since I've been here but I think I'll be going soon

Yes! I went a few years without visiting a dentist won't do that again in a hurry! My dentist is Irish and has the best accent ever and sparkling blue eyes. Plus he treats me like a child and tells me exactly what he's doing make's it so muc more bearable! I've heard our dentists are expensive though. Private health insurance helps!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    I had all 4 of mine out at once, they were impacted and one surgeon said he wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole because the root was wrapped around the nerve. I was VERY scared, and like you I second guessed, because....they didn't bother me all the time! But I went ahead, I was put out too, and honestly it was NOT that bad at all!!! I was actually eating mashed potatoes as soon as I got home! DO take a painkiller before your freezing wears off just in case, and also as silly as it looks, I used a belt to hold two of those soft gel type ice packs to the side of my face (20 minutes on, 40 minutes off....yes it was a pain in the butt but I had NO swelling or bruising AT ALL.) For real everything will be just fine, the worst part for me was the $$$ and the photos my mom took of me as I was waking up lmao!
  • Crys32
    Crys32 Posts: 99 Member
    I can't sleep. I paid for my wisdom teeth removal surgery today ($2500 - ouch!). Surgery day is Friday. I've been lying awake in bed saying well maybe I don't really need it. I should just cancel.

I know it's going to hurt... when I wake up anyway! The surgeon referred to one of my teeth as "nasty" as it is impacted and touching a nerve. The side effect of permanent numbness scares the *kitten* out of me for want of a better word (he reassures me it is rare but he must tell clients about all of the risks and in his career of 30 years he has only had two instances one of which was only temporary and the other is six months in).

Please tell me I'm overreacting and it will all be worth it in the end :flowerforyou:

I just had my wisdom teeth extracted a few months ago, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be. I was scared to death too but afterwards, you just want to sleep from the pain medicine they send you home with. And after a few days you can open your mouth again. I took a week off of work though because I work with the public and I thought my face might swell up, but it wasn't bad.

However, my dentist warned me too of numbness that would last. But since my regular dentist never mentioned having my wisdom teeth extracted until the week before I did it. I had no problems with them and never thought of them. The oral surgeon said they were impacted horribly and I should have had them out when I was 19. So now theres a place on my chin thats still numb, and at first it would freak me out when I felt it; but now I don't even notice it. The oral surgeon said it could take up to a few months for it go away; so I hope it does.
  • Jessie1227
    Jessie1227 Posts: 71 Member
    I had all 4 of mine removed, under general anesthesia. My two lower ones were impacted so they were the worst. BEST 30 mintutes of sleep I ever got.(LOL) Didn't hurt, either. Soreness, yes but excrciating or uncomfortable pain?? No. not for me atleast. Everyones body is different, though. They will prescribe you pain meds but I barely used them. Maybe once. The pain meds made me sick and throwing up after getting teeth pulled is no fun. Two bags of frozen peas will be your bestfriend for a while, though! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!! :)
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    I had mine out at 19, 9 years ago, and all four were impacted. I remember a lot of gauze, but the pain wasn't that bad, and my mom didn't even let me have my prescription of percaset because evidently I started laughing uncontrollably after one dose. I just used advil and was fine.
    I felt a little weird after the anesthesia, though: I started speaking in Spanish ( which I do know pretty well, but it's a second language) and then I started crying for no reason...so be prepared to act a little strange after coming to.
  • I got my wisdom teeth pulled and felt absolutely no pain (and I have a VERY low tolerance for pain)...be sure to tell you surgeon that you can't take pain so s/he prescribes some strong painkillers, should you experience any. You'll be back to yourself before you know it and this will all be a distant memory.
  • Jessie1227
    Jessie1227 Posts: 71 Member
    I had mine out at 19, 9 years ago, and all four were impacted. I remember a lot of gauze, but the pain wasn't that bad, and my mom didn't even let me have my prescription of percaset because evidently I started laughing uncontrollably after one dose. I just used advil and was fine.
    I felt a little weird after the anesthesia, though: I started speaking in Spanish ( which I do know pretty well, but it's a second language) and then I started crying for no reason...so be prepared to act a little strange after coming to.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! Crying after coming out of the anesthesia... it's not horrible, just weird feeling. "WHY AM I CRYING!?" haha
  • Rabbitfeet
    Rabbitfeet Posts: 92 Member
    I got mine out last week! All 4 of them gone. I had very little pain, my surgeon gave me a prescription for strong pain meds for 10 days and i only needed them the first 2. I did look like a chipmunk! My face swelled to the size of a small country, but it only lasted 3-4 days and then i was perfect its not anything to be worried about. The thing i missed most was eating solid food! I got so sick of soup and mashed potatoes! It will be worth it in the long run anyway!
    Good Luck :)
  • WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Don't worry, I had mine done when I was awake and after they are out you will be on pain meds and honestly it's not bad at all. If I can have mine out without being sedated you should sail through it since you'll be out for the count. Any discomfort you may feel afterwards is so worth the knowledge that the tooth won't bug you any more. I was so happy I had mine done.
  • Kai85
    I can't sleep. I paid for my wisdom teeth removal surgery today ($2500 - ouch!). Surgery day is Friday. I've been lying awake in bed saying well maybe I don't really need it. I should just cancel.

I know it's going to hurt... when I wake up anyway! The surgeon referred to one of my teeth as "nasty" as it is impacted and touching a nerve. The side effect of permanent numbness scares the *kitten* out of me for want of a better word (he reassures me it is rare but he must tell clients about all of the risks and in his career of 30 years he has only had two instances one of which was only temporary and the other is six months in).

Please tell me I'm overreacting and it will all be worth it in the end :flowerforyou:

I just had my wisdom teeth extracted a few months ago, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be. I was scared to death too but afterwards, you just want to sleep from the pain medicine they send you home with. And after a few days you can open your mouth again. I took a week off of work though because I work with the public and I thought my face might swell up, but it wasn't bad.

However, my dentist warned me too of numbness that would last. But since my regular dentist never mentioned having my wisdom teeth extracted until the week before I did it. I had no problems with them and never thought of them. The oral surgeon said they were impacted horribly and I should have had them out when I was 19. So now theres a place on my chin thats still numb, and at first it would freak me out when I felt it; but now I don't even notice it. The oral surgeon said it could take up to a few months for it go away; so I hope it does.

I'm planning to have the week off too. I work for the government to and mostly with children (they don't need to see that scary sight)! Sorry to hear that you have the numbness! I'm hoping it does heal up for you but it is a relief to know that you don't notice it. Best of luck with it!!!
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    It isn't bad at all. I had all 4 of mine removed simutaneously. I had no pain or swelling, just a little discomfort. I'm sure you will be okay.
  • Kai85

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! Crying after coming out of the anesthesia... it's not horrible, just weird feeling. "WHY AM I CRYING!?" haha

Yes? I remember when my mum had a surgery she came out really upset and this is why I think I was initally worried about this. I've also had colleagues telling me about their crazy ramblings following coming out of surgery... I think this is why I was a bit anxious... but what will be will be!
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Not quite the same but I had my 12yo molars removed and I was awake for it. It isn't that bad. It will be worse if you leave them in.