Running 3 miles, eating small fruit meals. Gaining weight??

I drink my coffee in the morning, eat an apple at 9am, eat an orange at 11, another snack at 1pm, and then my dinner (with low carbs and fats) about 6pm... And I run about 3 miles a day, plus about 10 mins strength training.... Why am I GAINING weight???? I also have a glass of wine in the evening ;)

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Umm, because you are not eating enough.
  • Looks like you don't have a good balance of proteins, carbs and healthy fats. And more sugar (from the fruit) than you should have.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Can't see your diary but I'm guessing you're not eating enough for your activity level.

You may also be eating too much sodium and retaining fluid. Add sodium to your tracking items and try to stay under 2500mg a day.

If neither of the above sound appropriate to your situation, visit your doctor and have them check your thyroid, blood sugars and any other factors that they think may influence your gain.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Gain in lean muscle off-setting reduction of fat?

Are you taking body measurements? My guess is that your body is probably changing dimensions!

Also, are you drinking lots of water? (No, I do not know the science behind why water helps!! Just know that for me it was part of my "success")

I have also heard about "starvation mode". I do not know enough about this to comment! Just something that keeps popping up on the comment boards.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    What you are eating turns into sugar in the body. Sugar consumption definitely makes it hard to lose weight. Try incorporating vegetables and whole grains into those snacks you are having, and eat more often seems like you are only eating 3-4 times a day. Small meals are fine as long as you are eating the right things and eating at least 5-6 times a day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Perhaps if you opened your diary you may get some useful ideas, but overall your diet looks a little wonky with only one real meal a day.

How many cal per day are you consuming? Height? Weight? Are you measuring your food accurately and recording everything?
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Def NOT eating enough!!!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    You are NOT EATING ENOUGH!!! What is your BMR? How can you possible survive on fruit all day and then a dinner? I'm sorry but that is not healthy or sustainable.
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    You're just not eating enough protein...or food in general, for that matter.

Some things that work for me (as an example):
    - protein at every meal (this could be a small portion, like some cheese or yogurt, or even a few slices of smoked turkey or chicken)
    - eat every 2-3 hours (you will keep your metabolism running evenly through the day)
    - Always LOAD your breakfast (it is said you should eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a nobleman, and dinner like a pauper)
    - limit your sodium, and drink plenty of water

I find that when I stick to these guidelines, I lose faster. Keep up the exercise, although with as little as you eat, I'm amazed you have the energy to crank out 3 miles a night!!!

Best of luck!
  • azbarrelracer1323
    azbarrelracer1323 Posts: 26 Member
    Will someone layout what is a good daily diet? I work an office job do I sit on my bum all day till my run :/
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Umm, because you are not eating enough.

Yep, this.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    I dont think you are eating enough. Try adding egg to your breakfast (or egg whites) for protein. Add a lean meat with your orange for lunch (like turkey or chicken).
  • garock
    garock Posts: 1
    Your body is going into starvation mode. You need calories. You need Nutrition. Start getting on a vitamin/mineral supplement as well as taking supplemental calcium, magnesium, flax oil, fish oil and perhaps even some extra Vitamin D... Include a meal replacement shake (you can get some pretty amazing ones at your vitamin shop) at least once a day and MINIMUM calories for women is 1000 - 1100 and for men is 1200 - 1300 every day. Also start trying to change things every day... Do not eat the same calories or foods every day, do not do the same exercise every day. You need to alternate cardio and strength training.

Hope this helps.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    OK. Can you give me your height, age, weight and how much you exercise (i.e. what you do and how many hours a week you spend doing it). Also, what weight do you want to be? I'm no expert but I can probably help a bit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Your body is going into starvation mode. You need calories. You need Nutrition. Start getting on a vitamin/mineral supplement as well as taking supplemental calcium, magnesium, flax oil, fish oil and perhaps even some extra Vitamin D... Include a meal replacement shake (you can get some pretty amazing ones at your vitamin shop) at least once a day and MINIMUM calories for women is 1000 - 1100 and for men is 1200 - 1300 every day. Also start trying to change things every day... Do not eat the same calories or foods every day, do not do the same exercise every day. You need to alternate cardio and strength training.

Hope this helps.
    1000 calories is NOT enough for the OP given her activity level, imho.

ps: welcome!
  • azbarrelracer1323
    azbarrelracer1323 Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks all!!! New to this... Didn't know I was doing bad things!!! Deff don't want to be hurting my body!!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    As the others have said, it sounds like you are not eating nearly enough for your activity level.

Also, it's not beneficial to eat both a low-fat and low-carb diet. If you're cutting down on carbs (you know fruit is mostly carbs, yes? Just checking), you MUST increase your fat AND protein intake. I promise you that an increase in dietary fat will not lead to fat on your body.

Eat a bigger breakfast. Eat a giant breakfast if you're burning a lot of calories later in the day. I really think that right now, you are limiting your performance and encouraging your body to depend on sugars and hold onto fat reserves.

Skinny girls who eat 1200 calories a day are not athletic, but it's hard NOT to fall into the trap of "eat very little and do constant cardio if you want to be thinner". If you want an athletic body that is efficient and is able to perform challenging activities, you must eat more, and you can't fear fat.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    I drink my coffee in the morning, eat an apple at 9am, eat an orange at 11, another snack at 1pm, and then my dinner (with low carbs and fats) about 6pm... And I run about 3 miles a day, plus about 10 mins strength training.... Why am I GAINING weight???? I also have a glass of wine in the evening ;)

Are you kidding? Or is this a joke? Eat more. Your body is more than likely clinging to every morsel that goes into your mouth and storing it. Eat more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Figure out how many calories you NEED from here:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

or

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

And then don't eat below that.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member

Hope this helps.

Generalizing calorie ranges for men/women isn't a good approach. There are too many factors (height, weight, activity level, etc) that would determine baseline calories. Also, there is nothing wrong with eating the same foods everyday. Especially for someone just starting out and trying to get a good handle on staying within calories and get in proper carbs/fats/protein.

It does sound like very low calories is the culprit. I would consider finding out what your BMR and TDEE are. Cutting 20% from TDEE and netting, at least, your BMR after exercse. These numbers aren't exact, but are more refined to you. I would also recommend strength training more often. Try incorporating heavier compounds lifts into your routine (squats, presses and deadlifts).