We set a date!

I am so excited! Last night my fiance and I set a date for our wedding: August 15th, 2009! I am really happy because we've been so worried about saving money we thought we couldn't afford a wedding, but we've decided to 'just do it!' I am going to have lots of questions for those of you who are married/ or planning a wedding....... I have lots of ideas but no experience in organizing something like this!! :bigsmile: yay, just had to share! So that gives meeeeeeeee.... just over 15 months to lose 50 more pounds....... I can totally do it :laugh: So happy!

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I am so excited! Last night my fiance and I set a date for our wedding: August 15th, 2009! I am really happy because we've been so worried about saving money we thought we couldn't afford a wedding, but we've decided to 'just do it!' I am going to have lots of questions for those of you who are married/ or planning a wedding....... I have lots of ideas but no experience in organizing something like this!! :bigsmile: yay, just had to share! So that gives meeeeeeeee.... just over 15 months to lose 50 more pounds....... I can totally do it :laugh: So happy!
  • wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    CONGRATULATIONS:drinker:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Congratulations!
    My tip... keep it simple. Less is more. Nobody remembers all the extra "stuff" anyway! A great place with some kind of scenery and good music. As long as you get the photos that you want, you don't need all the fluff! (my photographer sucked and didn't get one close up of us!)
    Flowers, keep it to one flower that's in season. (it's cheaper) and they have more bang when you see all just one flower in the bouquet and the tables, church, etc. hydragneas? is August make a big impact.
  • kerrilucko
    Thank you ! :bigsmile:
    We already have a place picked out, I have wanted to be married there since I was 6 years old lol, it is a huge hall made completely of glass walls right beside a pretty river that runs through my tiny hometown........ We're thinking an evening wedding, with a late reception, Pink and Orange flowers, lots of candles, small guestlist, no dinner, but a beautiful cake served with appetizers, free wine on every table.... we may or may not offer other alcohol......... it is going to be perfect... but simple....... eeeeeeeeee I'm so excited!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    ooooo sounds soooo good!!!!

Congrats to you and your fiance how wonderful!

I love your idea and theme...perfect! we did something like that for my sisters wedding, lots of mini white lights and tulle swept around the room too (looks better than it sounds lol)....like had topiaries on each table we made and each had mini white lites on them and candles around them....it made it look like an enchanted garden LOL....

oh one piece of advice, stick w/ the wine on the table good idea and NO open bar...too expensive and dangerous! just my opinion....a cash bar could be an option....but good on the table wine! lol
    love your colors too!
    best of luck!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Congrats!!:drinker:
  • :bigsmile: I am about to be married for the 2nd time!!! We became engaged after three years and one child together(makes my total 3 kids) we still have not set a date but good for you for setting one. We are wanting to go get marreid on an island somewhere but with three kids and me in school it is hard to plan a date......what kind of wedding do you want??? I know of a great website that does island weddings........i hope we set a date soon
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Eww girls! :sick:

(Congrats Kerri!)
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Congrats! I'm still trying to set a date...all i know is sometime next sumer!!! Good luck! I know i am FREAKING OUT about it!!!
  • kmjgrant
    kmjgrant Posts: 80
    Congratulations!!!! Don't know if I spelt that right!!! Lol just woke up. We are trying to set a date. I had picked March 4 of 2009. I wanted to just go down to the court house, but just found out that they don't do weddings anymore just the marriage license.So that cuts out my cheap wedding idea. I think we are just going to have it in our back yard. I is really big so I don't know right now. Congratulations/. that is a big step and I wish you and your fiancee a great life.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Congratulations!! You must be sooo excited. :flowerforyou:

My husband and I were in the same boat. We got engaged a year before he could afford to get me a ring, and even after that we still had no idea when or how we could afford a wedding. Finally in January of my senior year in college we just said to each other... let's make it happen. We wanted to have all of our friends and family around, and since they were all going to be at graduation anyway, we decided we'd do it the day after! Sounds crazy and it was at times, but it turned out to be SO MUCH FUN. I worked at a hotel so my boss said I could have the reception in our meeting rooms for free and use the beautiful grassy area out by the lake for the actual wedding. My sister stepped in and paid a wedding planner to help out but not do the full deal. She picked up a huge amount of leftover rose petals from an extravagant wedding and layered them on the grass outside, which was sooo beautiful. The weather was amazing, too. I got my dress for $100 at an overstock store and couldn't believe how well it fit and how gorgeous it was at that price. My husband's parents bought enough cheap-ish chamagne for everyone to have a couple glasses and then we just stocked up on beer from Sam's for after that. Most of the guests were in their 20s anyway so they didn't care. My bridesmaids were my 2 sisters and 4 best friends, and I just had them wear black dresses and carry roses we picked up from Sam's. We had appetizers made by our family and friends that would have been more than enough for the 50 people or so there, but once again my wonderful older sister stepped in and had food catered from a Greek place. It was tasty, but we hardly even ate any of it, so I think cake will be more than enough for you, too!! My mom bought one of those garden arches from Big Lots and decorated it with lace and all kinds of beautiful ribbons which blew in the breeze outside and we got married beneath that in a ceremony we wrote ourselves.

Bottom line is, we had an incredibly fun wedding that cost very little money compared to most! You can do it, too. Our friends and family told us it was one of the best weddings they had every been to, and I like to believe them, because the vibe was so light and fun and wonderful.

Sigh. :smile: I wish I could go back and do it again and again. Good luck, and I have lots of tips if you want them!

here's a link to the photo album if you'd like to see. :blushing: There are tons of group pics at first, but near the end are others.
    http://www.heidiseyecandy.com/client/wile/

ps - I think the main reason it was so wonderful was because we refused to stress too much about it. Even the wedding planner told us she had never been to a more lighthearted wedding. Keep it fun and remember why you are doing it, and it'll be an amazing day you'll never forget!
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    congrats.... I wish you the best of luck. I am also getting ready to start planing my own wedding and I am in the same boat as you.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!

Don't miss out on www.wedshare.com. Let's you create a beautiful individualized website just for your wedding so that all can enjoy the entire process with you.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Congratulations!:flowerforyou:
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Words of advice, cut corners everywhere and don't cheat on the photographer. However, if they are too expensive, some will charge less and do only two hours for the formal shots and do the disposable camera thing.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    You can have a beautiful wedding without spending lots of money. I did. It is about you and your fiance, not anyone else. There are things that some people do that just are not necessary, like booze. Who said you need alcohol to have a nice wedding? All of my friends had these huge open bar receptions and everyone got drunk and stupid and they spent a fortune providing that for their guests. I decided to forego that and now am so glad b/c I actually remember the reception and didn't end up in debt so my friends could drunk
  • kerrilucko
    Thank you for all the congrats and suggestions! I agree, an open bar is simply TOO expensive (especially since I know our families and friends and they like to drink!! I am thinking the free wine...... tell me if you think this is corny? My fiance's family (dad and uncle) make their own red and white wine and it is tasty and they have labels made up for it, lol. I thought it would be cute to do that and have the labels read "Brian & Kerri, August 15th, 2009" Maybe even with a photo on it.... I know it will be much cheaper than buying the wine but......... not sure if it's corny? Also was thinking about for the kids, should we have a punch bowl type thing with the appetizers? I am kind of anti-giving kids pop. lol:laugh:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    I think the homemade wine with the special labels is a great idea. You know people pay big bucks to buy wine online with special labels for their wedding or party or whatever. But you could make them yourself! Go for it. :happy:
  • jenbar
    Words of advice, cut corners everywhere and don't cheat on the photographer. However, if they are too expensive, some will charge less and do only two hours for the formal shots and do the disposable camera thing.

Yes, I don't even have a good photo of me and my hubby. We put disposables on the table and they were a hoot to get back! Everyone's different takes on what they should take pictures of!
  • jenbar
    Thank you for all the congrats and suggestions! I agree, an open bar is simply TOO expensive (especially since I know our families and friends and they like to drink!! I am thinking the free wine...... tell me if you think this is corny? My fiance's family (dad and uncle) make their own red and white wine and it is tasty and they have labels made up for it, lol. I thought it would be cute to do that and have the labels read "Brian & Kerri, August 15th, 2009" Maybe even with a photo on it.... I know it will be much cheaper than buying the wine but......... not sure if it's corny? Also was thinking about for the kids, should we have a punch bowl type thing with the appetizers? I am kind of anti-giving kids pop. lol:laugh:

That's a really cute idea. Get the labels printed with a very simple border and a nice font in black with your names and date on it. Depending on how many kids, just set up a "juice bar" for them. (anti-soda myself) When I got married I got lots of compliments because it was simple, not overdone, the setting was great (place was on the water - torn down now, sad to say, but have a brick with our date and names on it!) I actually did potted plants (tulips and another that's slipping my mind for a second) and they got to take them home and actually plant them instead of just taking flowers in a vase that will die! My 10 year is on Saturday. Wow how time flies!
    My wedding cost less than my sister in laws (whos getting married in July) photographer!
    hahaha!