Feet/Hands fall asleep during cardio?

When I workout on my elliptical for more than 30 minutes, my feet and my hands fall asleep. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions for what I can do to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

Replies

• It happends to me for my feet. I wiggle my toes and some times raise my feet a few times ti wake them up.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    It happened with my feet too, until I changed my shoe to a wider foot. I used to wear Nike all the time (cute styles), now it's about comfort and I wouldn't trade my Asics for ANYTHING!
  • When I workout on my elliptical for more than 30 minutes, my feet and my hands fall asleep. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions for what I can do to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

Move them more! When I'm on the elliptical I wiggle my toes & stretch my ankles when I switch directions (about every 15 mins). I think the numbness is b/c your hands & feet are stationary while on the ellipticals so moving them definitely helps.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    I would sqy move them around a little bit more, cause your blood isn't circulating that well in your hands and feet.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    I agree with moving your hands and feet around and seeing if that helps. If not, you may want to talk to your doctor it could exercise induced paresthesia which could indicate another problem with the circulatory or nervous system.
  • kdm9295
    kdm9295 Posts: 126 Member
    I thought it was just me! I've changed shoes and it got better, but it still happens. My toes get numb when I do my elliptical too.

At least I know I'm not the only one anymore. thanks for this thread.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    My toes used to go numb during elliptical and finally switched to a wider toe box shoe, asics are great.

As far as hands, it is possible that you are putting pressure on the ulner nerves (sorry for spelling). Try to move your hands and feet during exercise, even every few minutes just shake your hand and wiggle your toes. This happens a lot to cyclists (and their hineys) so I don't think you should worry too much about it.

A good way to check if you have good circulation in your hands and feet is to check for hair, hair on your fingers and toes is a sign of good blood circulation and a lack of hair would indicate that you may not be circulating as well. If you are concerned check with your doc. :wink:
  • klarson
    klarson Posts: 43 Member
    My toes used to go numb during elliptical and finally switched to a wider toe box shoe, asics are great.

As far as hands, it is possible that you are putting pressure on the ulner nerves (sorry for spelling). Try to move your hands and feet during exercise, even every few minutes just shake your hand and wiggle your toes. This happens a lot to cyclists (and their hineys) so I don't think you should worry too much about it.

A good way to check if you have good circulation in your hands and feet is to check for hair, hair on your fingers and toes is a sign of good blood circulation and a lack of hair would indicate that you may not be circulating as well. If you are concerned check with your doc. :wink:

Great! Thanks for the suggestions! I do think I need a wider shoe and I hopped on my elliptical to check out my posture and handgrips. I do tend to lean on my hands at the thumbs which would put pressure on the ulnar nerve. Thanks again!
  • ernstba25
    ernstba25 Posts: 1 Member
    yes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Make sure your shoes aren't too tight...but also, in general the elliptical is quite well known for irritating the nerves in the feet due to the foot pedal position on the machine and the fact that your entire foot remains in place on the pedals throughout the whole session, putting a lot of pressure on the small joints in your toes and balls of your feet.