Food Addicts Anonymous??

dms24
dms24 Posts: 28 Member
Ok, so yes I am a food addict and I don't see anything on here about this topic. Anyone else want to join? :smile:

So here's my story: My name is Kim, I'm a mother of 2 and a full time Nursing student. I should know better about bad eating habits but when I'm stressed they come back stronger then ever. I had a really bad day yesterday so what did I do? I turned to food and ate 8 chocolate chip cookies!! Yes 8 of them!! I feel awful today, almost like I let myself down. But I am going to push through and get back on track. My goal for today is to stay within my fat, carbs and protein limits and to remind myself that food is fuel, not a comfort measure!!! Thanks for listening:) Have a good day!!

Replies

• klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Hi, my name is Karen. I am a food addict. (would be funny if it wasn't true!)

I'm very sorry you had a bad day. Really sucks sometimes. But I can't even say I was stressed yesterday. I knew my son was going to make dinner (Italian with that darn fresh garlic bread). Even did extra exercise in planning for it. I did good limiting the pasta but just could not stop eating the bread!

I think we all need to look at the big picture. Overall you're eating better, right? I know a few months ago I would have had 2nds (maybe 3rds) on the pasta and never thought twice about eating bread. So I'm doing what you are, re-focusing and moving forward. Can't let one day undo all of our efforts!

Good luck and hope you have a much better day.
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    I am right there with you! Decided this past week I HAVE got to do something about it and learn to control my emotional eating before it kills me! Fall is the season of change so why not start now! :)
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    I'll join!!

My name is Sue, have been a nurse x 32 years & been on "diets" for 30 years, so I definately have had multiple chances to learn new behaviors:angry: . I am also a food addict:sad: . I have found that I do eat when I am sad or stressed :cry: . Yesterday was good...I was allowing the stress get to me re. my job & home life, BUT instead of eating junk food, I vented to my BF (who doesn't have a clue that he is part of the problem:grumble: ) & then had salad, roast beef & yogurt, then a hot bubble bath. Of course this does not solve anything & I did not sleep well, but at least I did not eat a bag of cookies. I am very proud of myself & Kim, I am very impressed that you ate only 8 cookies.

One of my biggest goals is to be kind to myself. I think that is something that has usually sent me flying to junk food. I think you need to tell yourself, yes, I ate 8 cookies, but that is in the past now & I will do better now. Just a thought.:flowerforyou:
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    I'm here, too! I've always battled my ability to eat tons of food and never understood how people can just take one cookie or a small piece of cake, or not put too much butter on their bread etc.
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    I'm Cathy and I'm a food addict. I find myself eating when I'm tired, when I'm stressed, when I don't feel well, etc....I just lean on food to make me feel better. I'm trying to break this pattern and hope to be a much better person for it in the near future. Food is FUEL, not COMFORT.
  • dms24
    It's so reassuring to have others feel the exact same way. Thanks all for sharing:) I am going to eat some grapes and then exercise :drinker: I know I couldn't have gotten this far without the support of everyone on this website. Your all awesome:) Thanks for doing this with me!!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    I would like to join!

My name is Jessi and I am a food addict. If you want proof (this past weekend I ate a carton of ice cream in 2 sitings!) I do various things like this then I work out like crazy to try and take off the 5 lbs gain from the snacks.

:flowerforyou: Jessi
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Also a food addict.

The real insanity with me is a lot of times I have been depressed about my weight, so what do I do? EAT! How does that make any sense at all?

I've been doing so well since 09/08/09. I've pinpointed my issues and now I'm using exercise as a stress reliever and self-esteem builder instead of food. :smile: And I've lost 21 pounds. :drinker:
  • JessiJean
    Congrats on turning it around! I have been trying very hard but I think what the heck, I ran 3 miles so I can eat ALL the ice cream!

:noway: We are all in this together!
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Hello,

My name is Lori and I am a food addict. I am married and have 7 parrots and I cat. I love food and it loves me back by adding on a bigger, butt ,belly and thighs! lol I lean on food for comfort when I am bored or sad or I just plain over-eat at meals. I am glad to know I am not alone while at the same time wish you all didn't have to go through this struggle with me. :)
  • Hello! My name is Hayley, and OHHHH yes! I am a food addict. And unlike any other addiction in the world, you can't really just quit food "cold turkey" You have to learn to conquer the cravings and avoid the temptations, sometimes easy, sometimes impossible. There have been times in my life when I could eat a whole bag of keebler cho. chip cookie, after I had half a pizza, and some donuts, washed all down with a 2-liter of soda. And then I would be so disgusted with myself I couldn't function properly for the rest of the night. Today is a very difficult day, and I am acknowledging the difficulties and doing something good and positive, going out to jog. I am not going to buy a dozen donuts and a pizza to lull myself into a unfeeling vegetative state. We all fail sometimes. We just keep trying and keep moving forward. We'll get there!!!!!
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    I must be a food addict, too. I weigh 21 pounds more than I did when I gave birth to my last child in 1984! My life is pretty easy. I've got an elliptical and treadmill in an air conditioned garage with a large flat screen tv...and I'm still NOT exercising regularly and NOT logging food regularly. I have lost 18 pounds since April and feel good about that. MFP has worked...when I log my food and exercise.

I'd love to find out why a person who knows they're a food addict, would stop logging food and exercise on MFP after it has been proven to work in losing weight and getting fit?

I'll recommit today to MFP and try again to make it my number one priority to log my food and exercise. Good luck to all of us today...I definitely know what you're talking about and how you're feeling when you admit you're a food addict, too. :flowerforyou:
  • JessiJean
    Leelees64: You sound like you just read off one of my weekend binges to me :blushing: Go for that jog! I just ran 15 minutes on the stairs and I feel great (I just have to tell myself that just because I exercised does not mean I can eat junk food!) :noway:

I encourage you all to encourage me!

:smokin: Jessi
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    jdubard0413: "I just ran 15 minutes on the stairs and I feel great (I just have to tell myself that just because I exercised does not mean I can eat junk food!) :noway: I encourage you all to encourage me! :smokin: Jessi
    I'm impressed with those 15 minutes on the stairs and am definitely encouraging you!:flowerforyou:
    You're right - exercising does not mean we've earned "free roaming" on calories the rest of the day!
  • Food is FUEL, not COMFORT.

I LOVE THAT QUOTE !!! that is an excellent way to put it ! ! ! !
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    WOW! We are all doint very well already, really. I turned down going to DQ after lunch today & instead went for a 20 mintue walk! Yes I CAN DO IT!!
  • dms24
    I did my 45 minute tape today and have been eating really well :wink: I do the same thing, I get lazy about tracking my food. I think when I eat badly one day, I feel like the day is wasted so I might as well wait till tomorrow to get back on track. And then tomorrow comes and I do the same exact thing and then I feel like a jerk :) Execising though, I gotta say I am really good about it. I make the time for it. But then I eat the calories away. So it looks like we all do the same thing!! Glad your all doing well today:) Keep it up! Me too!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Hi. My name is Brenda, and I am a food addict.

I have a real problem with cookie binges. For a long time I didn't buy them, and only had an issue when I visited my mother who is always well stocked, but lately I've been buying them and polishing off the bag in a day or two...sometimes in one sitting. As far as hinderances to my weight loss go, cookies would have to be my number one issue. And...did I mention pizza? Damned, cursed, ooey, gooey, cheesey pizza...and icy squares...and why can't I quit the diet soda? It doesn't even taste that good! Grrr@food.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Brenda:

I'm that way about hot fudge. We have frozen yogurt and a toppings bar at the cafeteria at work, and I finally stopped putting the yogurt in the bowl and just put the fudge. Despite all my hard work and weight loss I cannot break free of this habit. Now, its a nice perk that we have a free cafeteria, but if I had to pay for this fudge everyday, I wouldn't and would probably at least be 10 lbs thinner by now!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Brenda:

I'm that way about hot fudge. We have frozen yogurt and a toppings bar at the cafeteria at work, and I finally stopped putting the yogurt in the bowl and just put the fudge. Despite all my hard work and weight loss I cannot break free of this habit. Now, its a nice perk that we have a free cafeteria, but if I had to pay for this fudge everyday, I wouldn't and would probably at least be 10 lbs thinner by now!

A bowl full of hot fudge? Add some cookie sprinkles, and I'd be all set.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!