How many calories lost while shopping?

A while back i remember hearing on one of those exercise shows that you burn a lot of calories by just trying on clothes while shopping. But i don't remember what the amount was for say an hour or so. Any ideas anyone. I try to go shopping a lot, not just to spend money, but that is a great exercise for me cause you don't realize how much walking you do. I go to the mall for at least 5 hours at a time.

Replies

• OMISALJ
    OMISALJ Posts: 69
    A while back i remember hearing on one of those exercise shows that you burn a lot of calories by just trying on clothes while shopping. But i don't remember what the amount was for say an hour or so. Any ideas anyone. I try to go shopping a lot, not just to spend money, but that is a great exercise for me cause you don't realize how much walking you do. I go to the mall for at least 5 hours at a time.
  • Funny you posted this. I was at a huge sale this morning trying on item after item really working up a sweat. Lugging armloads of clothes around for an hour. I askedg my husband upon my return (quite seriously)...Isn't it worth some "exercise" calories? Anyone have suggestions?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    When I go to the mall, I log in half the time I spent there as "walking at 2.5 miles an hour."
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    I don't log shopping adventures as exercise. I have two rules for exercise:

1. I don't count it if I don't break a sweat.

2. If I was doing it before I joined MFP (shopping, etc.) and was gaining weight, it must not have been enough. I only log purposeful exercise - which i wasn't doing before MFP.

Now, for people that don't get out much, are breaking sweats shopping, maybe that's not right for them, but those are my two cents.
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Last time I went shopping I wore my pedometer and logged 9 miles Yes I said NINE miles!!! Ok so I wasn't speed walking but that counts as exercise!
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    I don't log shopping adventures as exercise. I have two rules for exercise:

1. I don't count it if I don't break a sweat.

2. If I was doing it before I joined MFP (shopping, etc.) and was gaining weight, it must not have been enough. I only log purposeful exercise - which i wasn't doing before MFP.

Now, for people that don't get out much, are breaking sweats shopping, maybe that's not right for them, but those are my two cents.

That's a very good point. I considered wearing my heart rate monitor while shopping at The Fashion Show but decided against it for that very same reason.

However, there are days that I'll start at the Fashion Show, walk to The Forum Shops, and then to Planet Hollywood to try on clothes. After 5 hours of walking, I may consider that the next time I do mondo shopping.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    [/quote]

That's a very good point. I considered wearing my heart rate monitor while shopping at The Fashion Show but decided against it for that very same reason.

However, there are days that I'll start at the Fashion Show, walk to The Forum Shops, and then to Planet Hollywood to try on clothes. After 5 hours of walking, I may consider that the next time I do mondo shopping.
    [/quote]

I didn't realize you are from Vegas, too! :smile:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    I'm a native Las Vegan...we're a dying breed it seems :)
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    When I go to the mall, I log in half the time I spent there as "walking at 2.5 miles an hour."

I did the same thing the other day. I was extra hungry and tired after all the walking. Figured it counted.