Severe arthritis in feet, how can I exercise?

I am finally sick and tired of being overweight and miserable.
I have been watching "I can make you thin" and I have started
eating healthy and exercising at home on my stationary bike
as I have arthritis in my feet and cannot do anything weight
bearing. Does anyone have any other good exercises for
my condition?I have been doing 32 minutes every day on the
stationary bike,which the doctors said I could do and the pain
in my feet is so bad I could cut them off, they keep me awake
all night. I will not give up but very frustrated.

Replies

• I am finally sick and tired of being overweight and miserable.
    I have been watching "I can make you thin" and I have started
    eating healthy and exercising at home on my stationary bike
    as I have arthritis in my feet and cannot do anything weight
    bearing. Does anyone have any other good exercises for
    my condition?I have been doing 32 minutes every day on the
    stationary bike,which the doctors said I could do and the pain
    in my feet is so bad I could cut them off, they keep me awake
    all night. I will not give up but very frustrated.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Sorry to hear that :frown: but don't give up :flowerforyou:

Did you try swimming?

At my gym there's a kind of "bicycle" that you have to use your arms instead of legs to move (handcycle?). I don't think it's a very common device... Also I'm not sure how effective it is.
    You could also try lying on your back and doing bicycle moves with your feet in the air.
  • spartysue
    spartysue Posts: 29
    I also have severe arthritis. One doc told me swimming is the absolute best thing....I was recently in Florida and was able to swim every day. I varied my "routine" with just moving in the water--not in shape enough to swim laps. I wasn't totally pain free, but it was a lot better than anything else. I have access to a pool now that I'm back home, so I need to work it into my schedule. If there is anyway you can try swimming, I strongly recommend it! Also, I do some chair exercises at work during my lunch. Leg lifts, etc, any kind of movement I can think of. Good luck!
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    I have see tapes for chair aerobics which are nice.Also check out U Tube. Swimming would be great. Sometimes I sit on an excercise ball and bounce and flop my arms around to music. crunches, and floor work can be done in aerobic fashion. Get creative. Good luck
  • hi im Virginia i had severe problems too i had sciatica ,back pain, arthiritis in both my knees and spurs in both my feet so u can imagine half my body in severe pain ... i used to take pain killers.... i know what u r going thru .... i was weighing 76 kgs and im 5ft6ins im 54 yrs old but now i weigh 60 kgs all my pain has gone... in a way God had asked me to take care of my eating and He will heal me because i used to eat Garbage:) u know wat i meant:) so dont worry ur pain will go try to loose and if possible try to walk for an hour a day if u need to write to me u can write to me on my email address that is daremaiden@yahoo.com this message is for nanaterri:)
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    I have seen "chair aerobics" or "chair dancing" tapes at the library, too, in the fitness section!