Drinking alcohol

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    smoke weed instead

LMAO!!! Munchies might then be an issue;)

Ugh, I get munchies really bad when I'm drunk! It sucks. I always crave pizza and McDonald's. If I could cut out the after-drinking snacking, I would be fine :)

me too. big macs with mcchicken sauce and a large fries....omg
  • I have been a bartender for almost 20 years and believe me I know how tempting it is! Just some ideas, Miller lite only has 95 calories (bud light has 125) compared to the miller 64 or bud 55, miller lite has far more flavor!! If you like something taster Guinness has 120 and Smithwicks (yum) has 150, these are the ones I tend to gravitate to. Another idea is to force yourself to have water or soda water in between each beer, I can drink with the best of them but the amount of liquid will slow you down. From one beer lover to another good luck & don’t listen to the haters, you said I love beer not rot gut vodka from the bottle!!!:laugh:
  • I an new to this site. Have lost 21 lbs. prior to coming here, and I do enjoy alcohol socially. Figure in the calories and adjust from there. i tend to work out a little harder and behave calorie-wise during the week so I can enjoy the weekend. You have to enjoy life, and unless alcohol is an issue for you beyond the calorie content, I say enjoy it on the weekend or a special occasion. If I tell myself I will absolutely not have something, then I will crave it all the more. Enjoy in moderation Life's too short not to have fun. I look at weight loss as a lifestyle change and not a sprint but a marathon - something I can do for the long term.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    and now that i am a few years older i don't want to drink any because of the damage i know it will do to my body.

save it for the special occassions....not every weekend.

Agree ^

After not drinking during 2 pregnancies I've learned to live without it (even though I would drink every night before kids). Now, I don't even miss it. Last weekend I was at a catered event with a bar and I didn't even feel like drinking - weird how tastes change over time.....
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member

Um, the OP said that they have a beer, then they have another, and another and can't stop themselves. That's actually pretty much the definition of a problem. You don't have to get blind drunk every time you dink to have a dependency. If you require a 6 pack to have a good time, you have a drinking problem.
    And day in and day out people post about having one cookie and then another....

And next thing you know, they're being referred to Cookies Anonymous.

^^^^ LOL
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Check out my avitar! You think it's easy for me? LOL

BEER - OMG check out our refridgerator! I literally just had to suck it up and give it up! :( I am loosing bigtime though so, that is the ONLY advantage I'm getting out of it. I'm down 13 lbs since giving it up! :(
  • bouvierm
    bouvierm Posts: 1
    I drink two or three light beers a day and I have continued to lose 1 lb a week. I do quite a bit of exercise though and I usually have 2000 to 3000 calories left over at the end of the week.
  • mchull
    mchull Posts: 10
    smoke weed instead

LMAO!!! Munchies might then be an issue;)

Ugh, I get munchies really bad when I'm drunk! It sucks. I always crave pizza and McDonald's. If I could cut out the after-drinking snacking, I would be fine :)

Me too :( Luv my tequila & beer, but I've had to seriously curb them both mostly b/c I EAT when I drink...no problems mostly giving up bread, potatoes & pasta but beer & tequila, now that's a challenge!
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    I always thought a calorie was a calorie. Weather it came from food or liquid
  • ninjagirl007
    ninjagirl007 Posts: 41 Member
    There have to be some good low cal cocktails : )
  • PDLUCKY
    PDLUCKY Posts: 60 Member
    You can't keep yourself from drinking alcohol? That sounds like you have bigger problems than the weight.

Agree!

I quit drinking to eliminate those calories.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member

Um, the OP said that they have a beer, then they have another, and another and can't stop themselves. That's actually pretty much the definition of a problem. You don't have to get blind drunk every time you dink to have a dependency. If you require a 6 pack to have a good time, you have a drinking problem.

And I tell those people, if you can't eat 2 cookies and be happy, don't eat the cookies at all.

I used to drink a lot, and almost daily. Now, I do not, for no other reason than it's bad for me. I can have a beer or a couple drinks, alternate with water, and still have a good time in a social setting. Someone who is incapable of doing that needs to evaluate the relationship they have with alcohol. They don't necessarily have a drinking problem, but they certainly have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, not unlike the relationships that many of us have had with food.
  • mchull
    There have to be some good low cal cocktails : )

I recently came across a brand called "Skinnygirl". Tried the cosmo and it wasnt bad. Hungry Girl also has a book of cocktail/drink/appetizer recipes that is pretty good.
  • Runningchick11
    Runningchick11 Posts: 53 Member
    Thank you to all of the posters, both supporting me with my beer drinking and not, I did post to get straight answers. I do not drink every night. And when I do drink, I plan on it before hand so I make sure I have some wiggle room with the calories. I was just curious of other ways drinkers try to limit calorie intake. So what if I have a few beers? A lot of people open a bag of chips or carton of cookies and eat it all in one sitting, and I don't get on them about it, and that is a lot more calories than my few beers, and more fat! If a person posted something about eating a bag of chips and calling out to other chip bag eaters on advices, well ok then. But again, thank you to everyone! I really do appreciate it. I am going out tonight and have been doing extra flights of stairs during bathroom breaks to burn a couple more calories.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    switch to vodka and club soda. higher alcohol content with less calories. If you're drinking for the buzz then switching to vodka would help in your case.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Two issues with Alcohol. 1) you mentioned, the calories being added back into your diet.
    2) Alcohol is metabolized in the liver. Your liver is also involved in fat metabolism. While it is busy cleaning up the alcohol you ingested fat metabolism pretty much stops I'm told. So even if you are running a calorie deficit you are inhibiting you bodies ability to break down those fat stores and use them for energy.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    It's weird but I go out drinking/dancing once or twice a week and it has yet to impact my weight loss. I do believe it's because I spend at least two hours on the dance floor the nights I'm drinking though. That burns some major calories! It doesn't make any sense to me. I figure if I stop losing weight, I'll stop drinking alcohol! Ha.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

And I tell those people, if you can't eat 2 cookies and be happy, don't eat the cookies at all.

I used to drink a lot, and almost daily. Now, I do not, for no other reason than it's bad for me. I can have a beer or a couple drinks, alternate with water, and still have a good time in a social setting. Someone who is incapable of doing that needs to evaluate the relationship they have with alcohol. They don't necessarily have a drinking problem, but they certainly have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, not unlike the relationships that many of us have had with food.
    Yet folks started with "you have a problem". Not with "try drinking two beers"...
  • mchull
    CHEERS EverestChick! I also love beer and the empty calories often hold me back wehn trying to drop a few pounds. I recently discovered that Corona Light is only 99 calories...not my favorite but on a hot summer day with a lime- it is a nice treat!! Enjoy your beer and run an extra mile or two.

To the critics who are probalby a 2 on the 1-10 fun scale :-)
    http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/14/beer-drink-health-forbeslife-cx_avd_0317health.html

I too have found Corona Light to be my best alternative to higher calorie beers which I save for special occasions.
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    I've made a pact with myself that I will only drink on the weekends or special occasions. I used to have a glass of wine or hard cider when I came home from work, but even when I was in-line with my calorie goal, the weight seems to go faster when I stop drinking altogether. So I figure if I limit my intake four nights a week, and splurge the other three (I count Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as weekends) then this will still allow me to lose weight while staying true to my social, Irish roots.