protein

villamiller
villamiller Posts: 6
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Does it matter that I can stick to all recommended intake levels, except for protein? Every day I have gone over my level, even today when I thought I was being good! What affect will this have on my weight loss? Any ideas out there please?

Replies

• Does it matter that I can stick to all recommended intake levels, except for protein? Every day I have gone over my level, even today when I thought I was being good! What affect will this have on my weight loss? Any ideas out there please?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    This is a common discussion here. There is much controversy on the amount of protein one should eat.

Here's a formula I found through web research, and speaking with a trainer at my gym. Take your goal weight and divide it by two. That's the (grams?) of protein you should have in a day.

For me, in my experience, too little protein causes me to crave bad carbs (sugar) and overeat, especially at night. I find using this formula gives me more energy, and leaves me less hungry.

In the goals section, you can customize these amounts from where they're set.

Hope this helps.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I'm always over my protein - my fitness trainer tells me that for weight loss that is a good thing. For me it has worked fine so far!
  • tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    Are you remembering that there is more to protein than just meats? Perhaps your eating style is more of a "vegan" things like beans, legumes, eggs, peanut butter are concidered protiens. Meats are what they call "complete proteins"...combining "partial proteins" such as beans and rice, can equate a complete protein.
    Proteins are very important, but most important is that you are trying.
  • just remember that too much protein isnt good for the kidneys.... or the liver.. umm, i know its one of those. lol. i will have to look it up. i remember learning it in one of my classes in college, but after 5 years, i seem to forget which one it is.
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    I posted this same question shortly after I joined MFP as I was also consistantly going over on my protein.

The general response was that it wouldn't hurt me or deter my weight loss - as far as I can tell everything is plugging along as it should be.
  • WOW -thanks everyone for your replies. Glad I'm not alone
  • dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    I have the same problem. I take it to mean I'm eating to much meat. i read the other day that when your body takes in anything extra that it doesn't use right away its stored as fat. wouldn't protein be the same way/
  • im supposed to use just 1650 calories can someone tell me how to do that
  • my trainer actually says i should have 1 gram of protien for every pound i weigh... i really wish that all the info was always the same, it's confusing sometimes!!!:ohwell:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    im supposed to use just 1650 calories can someone tell me how to do that

It is all in what you are choosing to eat. Try to eat fresh foods as much as possible because the more processed a food is the more calories and fat in general. Whole grains are great for helping you feel more satisfied. Take a look at the recipes section. There are alot of good ideas.

Hope that helps. My family likes couscous or risotto, and chicken with vegies.

Eve
  • i was confused about the protein method but then went and talked to Popeye's a fitness store that sells all sorts of things for people who exercise and want to lose weight. the trick for me is that i have a protein drink with juice mixed with veggie green powder for breakfast, have cottage cheese mixed with a bit of fruit and an apple for a snack, have the protein drink with juice for lunch, have an afternoon snack and then supper and lo and behold i'm finally able to lose the weight i gained in the last couple of months and i'm blown away that this is working because i use to gain weight if i ate a big breakfast. before i did this routine i drank slimfast for breakfast and lunch or skipped lunch altogether and never lost anything...so i'm impressed with using protein! i haven't been able to exercise for about 2 weeks because i hurt my knee so this is very sweet to have lost some weight too.:happy:
  • Does it matter that I can stick to all recommended intake levels, except for protein? Every day I have gone over my level, even today when I thought I was being good! What affect will this have on my weight loss? Any ideas out there please?

If you are sticking to your other levels and over on protein, then are you going over on your total calories? Thats not good. Extra protien will not hurt a healthy kidney. If you have kidney problems or a family history of that then be careful. With lots of water extra protein is usaually a good way to cut down on hunger. Protein takes longer to digest and the body has a harder time turning the excess into stored fat. Weight lifters generally go for 1 gram per pound of body weight and some even as high as 2g/pound. That is a lot! I try for 40% and it is hard to eat that much. I definitely feel better but that could be because I work out so much that I need it.
This discussion has been closed.