Fit bit

Is the Fit Bit worth it? It's not cheap. I'd love to hear some pros and cons from people that already have it or are considering it. Thanks!

Replies

• LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Pros:

1. It pushes me further. I always thought I was pretty active until I bought it.
    2. SInc's in with mfp, so it adds more exercise calories for me.
    3. Found out my actual TDEE which is around 2100, not 1800.

Cons:

1. Having to doc it on it's station to send it's info to MFP
    2. Had a problem with logging on once, but that's about it. :)
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member

Cons:

You don't have to dock it, you have to be within 15 feet of the doc. Mine docks all the time when I'm unaware, cleaning the house or whatever.

I've lost 23lb with the fitbit, it's a great investment!
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    I returned mine. FitBit does not submit their data to Microsoft, so the warning for "severe sucurity issue" kept comming up. That's a little fretful, if you've ever had to recover from a computer crash before
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    I've had it for a few weeks, I LOVE it!!! I always wondered why after a nights sleep I was exhausted, well thanks to FB it made me realize that I may be in bed for 7 hours at night but I'm not sleeping the entire 7 hours, I actually only get 4-5 hours. I love to see how active (I'm not) during the day when at work, just overall seeing my activity level. There are no cons for me as of yet.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    bump
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    I have had mine since the end of April this year. I love it...I am addicted to it. I was only doing, like sedentary people do, about 2500 steps a day. Now I log over 10,000 steps everyday. It syncs with your MFP by being within 10-15 feet of doc station. I am in several June challenges using it. IT MOTIVATES me...I cannot think of a con to write. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Tks for the post.
  • lcphipps
    lcphipps Posts: 29
    can anyone compare the fitbit to the body media?
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    I freaking love mine. I got myself & DH one as an anniversary present. I'm kind of obsessed with seeing how many leaves I can get on the flower thing. And it's just interesting to see my activity thru the day and how I sleep.

I liked it so much that I got the fitbit scale too. Now THAT is cool! It's a wifi scale that syncs with your fitbit acct. It doesn't automatically sync to MFP though.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    I'm pretty happy with mine. I've had to have 2 replacements as my first 2 quit working, but I've been using it most of the time since January...
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    It is essentially a pedometer with extras. I have one and if I'm honest, use it predominantly to track all the odd bits of walking I do - for that it's great. For any other exercise, like my Tae Kwon Do classes or any DVDs I do at home, I use my HRM.

Check out the Fitbit Users group you'll see a wide range of experiences with it.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    I left it docked and went to the store the other day, seriously considered driving 30 minutes back to get it so i wouldn't Lose my steps. my wife and I both love ours, keeps us moving, only issue is drive time or mowing, anything that jars you constantly, poor little fitbit thinks your running a marathon. This is easily rectified by logging your activity on the fitbit website and your steps are adjusted. It will keep you moving
  • I'm still getting used to the acronyms, what is thee or what you posted?
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Pros:

1. It pushes me further. I always thought I was pretty active until I bought it.
    2. SInc's in with mfp, so it adds more exercise calories for me.
    3. Found out my actual TDEE which is around 2100, not 1800.

Cons:

2. Had a problem with logging on once, but that's about it. :)

You don't have to dock it except to charge the battery, it automatically syncs when you come within a few feet of the station. Just an fyi!
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    Best 100$ I ever spent. Went from about 4k steps a day to over 10k in a month or so... I motivates me to get moving even when I don't feel like it. I have had no issues with mine-and the ones I have heard of seem to be taken care of PROMPTLY by fitbit (i.e., replaced at no charge...)
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    I love my FitBit! I think it is well worth the $100. Like others have said, it motivates you to move more. I'll be sitting on the couch and tell myself I have to do 100 steps every time I get to the end of the row with knitting, or set a timer for when I'm watching TV and make myself go and do x amount of steps and flights of stairs before going back. Definitely more active now than before.

I also love knowing my calorie burn for the day. It helps me to keep on track with my eating. If I don't feel like I have burned enough calories for the food I am eating I know to move more or eat less.

The only con is that it only syncs to the doc station linked to your computer. I need to play with the charging station to see if it will work with a usb adapted wall charger for when we go out of the country for a week this summer.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    I have had mine a couple weeks.........I love it I didn't realize how many steps
    10,000 really is lol my short little fat legs really get tired by the end of the day now
    and the scale is going down again :)
  • adampk17
    adampk17 Posts: 15
    Had mine since March 1st this year. It's freaking awesome and provides a LOT of motivation. You'll find yourself taking the stairs more often and walking the long way to where ever you're going. LOL
  • I LOVE MINE!!! It really does motivate you to move more, but you also become more aware of your "down" time!
    con - only one, Ive thrown it in the wash water twice, because i forgot it was on my clothing. Ive manage to save it both times thanks to the hair dryer,and some sincere prayers! I ve since hung signs to remind me to take it off!!!lol
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    can anyone compare the fitbit to the body media?
    I couldn't get the fitbit because it constantly sends out a signal looking for the dock, and you can't have devices like that where I work (it's a secured area), so I got the bodymedia. I'm pretty happy with it, because it's actually on me and not my bra or pocket or whatever, and because it collects data from more sensors (body temperature, skin response etc) I think it might be more accurate. However, it does NOT sync with MFP, the food database for it is more limited, and you HAVE to plug it in to update it.

that being said I love and use it obsessivly. I think either would be a good choice.
  • Have you had to replace it twice since January? If so, that's not good.