How often do you let yourself eat what you really want?

sluedu09
sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
For instance, if you're going out to eat, how often do you let yourself get that burger instead of a salad or fries instead of broccoli?

Replies

• harrylovesginny
    harrylovesginny Posts: 10 Member
    To me it's about a balance. For example, today my two weaknesses are movie-theater popcorn and tortilla chips. WIthin the past two days I was tempted by both. Instead of indulging, I chose not to eat the popcorn which I knew was much worse, and ate organic, blue-corn, baked tortilla chips instead. That being said, I haven't indulged in a few weeks.

The best advice I can give you is to just listen to your body. If you really want that burger, eat it, and don't feel guilty about it afterwards. Just don't eat it every day!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    I fit it into my calories for the day ..
  • caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    As long as I won't go over my calorie goal for the day I let myself eat what I want... and if I do go over that just results in a harder work out for me.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    I am just starting out so I have resigned myself to the fact that I wont be getting burgers for awhile. But I dont intend to live on salads either. There are a LOT of food choices and not all of them are fattening. A little common sense and you still have a great meal.
  • squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    I usually let myself eat what i really want when i want it. I just try to balance it out with some extra exercise and being extra good with my calories the rest of the week. its all about balance and moderation. for example, i love heath bars but i got the little mini heaths and will indulge in just 1 but i'll nibble on it to make it last longer so it feels like im eating more of them
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    If I really want it, I'm eating it.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    One cheat meal a week has done the trick for me
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Too often.

That is a slippery slope for me. I crave and love love love sweets.

If I start, I can't help myself and keep going....then the next thing I know, I've gained 20 lbs and I'm back to square one.

Wish it were different but it isn't so now I'm super careful about what I eat.

If I do make a mistake, I don't beat myself up over it...but I don't go back for more lol.
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    O21790325.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

once a week or so, only if i've trained really hard. You'd go bonkers if you didn't have a treat once in a while.
  • I always let myself eat what I want, and what I want is usually super healthy. I've been eating a vegan diet with very little sugar and no chemicals for over 4 months now, and I've noticed that I no longer WANT that piece of cake or that sugary doughnut. I would much rather have some coconut yogurt with berries or a big bowl of oats with peanut butter.
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Quite often, as long as it fits into my calorie goals. It's about controlling yourself, not denying yourself.
    I'm not much of a sweets person so I don't have to deal with candy cravings. :P
  • To me it's about a balance. For example, today my two weaknesses are movie-theater popcorn and tortilla chips. WIthin the past two days I was tempted by both. Instead of indulging, I chose not to eat the popcorn which I knew was much worse, and ate organic, blue-corn, baked tortilla chips instead. That being said, I haven't indulged in a few weeks.

The best advice I can give you is to just listen to your body. If you really want that burger, eat it, and don't feel guilty about it afterwards. Just don't eat it every day!

This ^^^
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    I always want the brownie sundae but I never get it. Fajitas are the worst I'll go. However, since I started all this and have seen results, I find that I don't really want ice cream, pasta or junk anymore. I'm perfectly happy with tilapia and a sweet tater.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    My rule on indulging in the bad stuff is that I have to want it for 3 days straight. If at the end of 3 days I want it as badly as day 1, then I indulge...but I make sure to be smart about it. For instance, if I want a McDonald's burger (which I haven't craved for years), I don't go and get a Big Mac...instead I get a single cheese burger. I typically find that the smaller portions of the same flavors is plenty to satisfy me. :)

Other things...like chocolate...I allow for in my daily consumption. Nobody wants to be around me if I'm not allowed chocolate... ;)
  • I always let myself eat what I want, and what I want is usually super healthy. I've been eating a vegan diet with very little sugar and no chemicals for over 4 months now, and I've noticed that I no longer WANT that piece of cake or that sugary doughnut. I would much rather have some coconut yogurt with berries or a big bowl of oats with peanut butter.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS! GINGER IS MY SISTER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!
    <3
  • Assuming that you mean real chips and ice cream, i never let myself eat what i want.

Only healthy foods!

I really miss poutine :(
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Every day, but since I have a new lifestyle I choose whatever I want. Icecream, chocolate, smores:).... I don't crave them often so when I do I eat one. I work hard for where I've come and love healthy food so wanting normal "bad" food is fine for me. I'd never deprive myself of something cause than I'd probably eat tell I was stuffed one day.
  • Pretty often. Going without never really worked for me, I would just end up binging. I just take it waaaay more in moderation now...but I still have treats, because, well, I can't live without them! I just make it all fit into my daily or weekly goals as best I can.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    I eat what I want every day, everything in moderation is my motto.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Usually not more than once a month or so. Though this week I kind of just ate what I wanted two nights in a row.

I should be clear though. I eat pretty much anything I want to eat. I just check to see how much of it I can eat before I start. I don't believe that what I am doing today should look any different that what I want to be doing in five years. I don't have a I can only eat ____ now, and later I can eat ___ mentality. That's for people who want to gain their weight back. Learn to eat, right now, the way you want to eat for the rest of your life. Then stick with it for the rest of your life. Losing weight is for the birds, I never want to have to do this again.