Protein Shakes

I am thinking of starting to do some type of protein shake to replace my breakfast which is currently not as healthy as it should be. What are some of your receipes for those that make their own shakes?

I am not interested in any of the body by vi or whatever other MLM shakes are out there, I am looking for something made from real food and whey protein powder.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Anyone?
  • jackiebsaidwhat
    jackiebsaidwhat Posts: 7 Member
    I love protein shakes. I bought a protein mix I think the brand is EOS in vanilla flavor and it mixes pretty well.

What I love to do is buy a bunch of fruit like strawberries, bananas, rasberries, black berries, oranges, lemon, etc. and cutting them and freezing them up. to use as ice cubes.

Then I love adding almonds to it too to add some protein and it mixes nicely.

I use the magic bullet and throw in whatever fruit combo I like, a palm size of almonds, a slice of lemon, a scoop of protein mix and orange juice or a fruit juice then mix it together. Tastes delicious and you can't even taste the protein mix.

Hope this helps!
  • AmericanExpat
    Thanks that is very helpful!
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    I do some frozen berries, water, some raw oatmeal (Quacker old fashion oats) and a splenda. Taste delicious! Great breakfast!
  • jdenson69
    jdenson69 Posts: 10
    I recently got the Nutri-ibullet, and it was my first time blending vegetables with protein mix. I also did a couple with fruit, which worked out well too. I think you have to see which protein powder you would like the best. Try buying it from somewhere you can return the merch if you aren't satisfied. GNC has a good return policy.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    I use hemp protein, almond milk(or coconut), greek yogurt, ground flax and frozen fruit. I switch up what fruit I use but its usually at least 2.
  • texasmom2011
    texasmom2011 Posts: 4 Member
    I love the Nectar Protein powders. They are mixed with water, no cabs, and only 100 per scoop. 23 protien. You can search for them and buy sample packs, they have tons of flavors..fruity ones. The Twisted cherry is my fav.

If you use just regular protien powders like from GNC, get vanilla or chocolate, then add almond milk or 1% milk, ice and Torani Sugar Free syrups for extra flavors. You can also add instant coffee for that frapp flavor.

Fit Frappe by Big Train is also awesome.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    This site has recipes made from either greek yogurt, or cottage cheese and protein powder. What you add to that base determines the flavor. They are hi protein, low calorie and DELISH

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Lean Body by Labrada (regular or low-carb) is AWESOME and very high quality. Also check out www.eggwhitesint.com

These are my favs - usually have two of either of these every day.
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    I'm thinking of starting with protein shakes also. This is really great advice, thanks guys!
  • AmericanExpat
    Thanks for the advice!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    I use Dymatize Elite Whey Protein Isolate in Gourmet Vanilla
    I have 3 shakes per day....1 upon waking, 1 around 3-4 p.m. (after working out), 1 right before bed (to keep me full)
    I usually do: 1 full scoop..6 oz water...frozen fruits chunks (like blueberries, mango, pineapple, etc)
    If I want a treat...especially in the afternoon...I use 6 oz water, 1 full scoop, 1/2 banana, 1 tbs chocolate syrup...yummy!
    I add a tbsp of finely ground flax seed to each shake for extra fiber. It helps fill me up.

I've tried other proteins...but I have always gone back to Dymatize. It is Gluten-free, and is designed to be well-tolerated by lactose intolerant/sensitive individuals.

Another interesting mix would be: 6 oz water..1 full scoop...1 tbs peanut butter....1 tbs chocolate syrup. Tastes like a peanut butter cup!
  • HeidiJ810
    HeidiJ810 Posts: 20 Member
    I like the ALIVE vanilla protein powder with Almond Milk, Nutritional Yeast, cocoa powder, a tiny bit of peanut butter, and a packet of sweetner (I like truvia best), and lots of ice. It tastes a lot like cheating! ;)
  • http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

I've tried a lot of these low carb, low sugar, high protein shakes created by a woman who went through bariatric surgery, and they're all pretty good. Most of them can also be converted to low carb, high protein ice cream recipes, if you have a machine and want a treat. Very filling.
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Since I am doing Low Carb, I'm using the Smoothie King's Gladiator Shake. It's 45 g of protein with only 1 carb. It's super tasty !!
  • Tinie72
    Tinie72 Posts: 6
    bump