This is gonna sound really stupid!!

I was wondering if anybody logged calories burned for doing stuff like grocery shopping, cleaning house, sex, etc.... things you wouldn't normally consider as "exercise". I know that sounds really bad but I heard on tv that these things (especially sex) can burn an enormous amount of calories............

Replies

• chrissi
    chrissi Posts: 34 Member
    I was wondering if anybody logged calories burned for doing stuff like grocery shopping, cleaning house, sex, etc.... things you wouldn't normally consider as "exercise". I know that sounds really bad but I heard on tv that these things (especially sex) can burn an enormous amount of calories............
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member

Personally, I don't list those things. When doing my initial settings I tried (and re-adjusted) to get close to my activity level (including, uh, grocery shopping!! :wink: ).

If you like to micro-manage to that degree though, I'm sure it would be much more accurate.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I do enter calories burned for cleaning house if it's alot of cleaning.

Does sex count as cardio? How many calories does it burn?

We get this question a lot. And we don't list sex in our cardio tracker for several reasons.

For reference, a cardio workout is anything that raises your heart rate for an extended period of time, usually 20-30 minutes. It works all of the major muscle groups, and you should find yourself sweating and breathing hard during the most intense part of the workout.

Cardio works large muscle groups repetitively (such as how running uses your large leg & arm muscles and swimming uses your whole body). Sex does not typically use major muscle groups (or at least in a full range of motion the way that these examples do).

Cardio must reach a specific level of intensity, meaning that you must elevate your heart rate to an aerobic level and sustain it there—about 60-85% of your max heart rate, or on a Rate of Perceived Exertion Scale (where you estimate how hard you are working on a scale of 1-10, about a 6-8.5). Although you may be breathing heavily during sex, this isn’t necessarily because your heart rate is up. It has more to do with hormones and what’s going on with your nervous system. (Think of how your may breathe harder or feel your heart rate increase if you’re scared—that doesn’t mean you’re getting a cardio workout.)

How many calories you're burning during sex really depends on too many factors. It's like asking "does walking burn a lot of calories?" It depends on your speed, distance, duration, intensity, etc.

Now, if you really feel that your sexual activity meets all of these requirements—although I'd recommend taking your heart rate several times during it to make sure—then you could probably count it as cardio. But according to most calorie counters, the calorie burn is pretty minimal—less than walking and not much more than just sitting. Plus, how accurate is that?

It’s important to distinguish that not all activities are a workout. Sure, being "active" burns more calories than not being active. But just because you’re burning a few additional calories does not mean you are exercising or that you’re receiving the same benefits of a true workout.

Written by Nicole Nichols, B.S. & Certified Fitness Instructor

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=62
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Well Chrissi, all I can say is at least you tried!... I wondered about that too but wasn't brave enough to mention it. :blushing:
  • I log in calories for sex. You can get a good work out in during that.:bigsmile:
  • Healthier_Me
    I agree manda:bigsmile:
  • courtneycatt
    courtneycatt Posts: 25 Member
    I log calories burned when I am carrying my son, we live upstairs and everytime I take the dog out he goes with me. So carrying a 25 lb kid for 20mins burns like 84 calories.
    And to me 84 calories is 84 calories. LOG IT ALL BABY!!! :drinker:
  • LOL! My good friend, who actually told me about this site, and I were JUST discussing this very topic! I mentioned to her about logging in calories burnt for, shall we say, "fun and games" and she rolled her eyes and said, "Why? for like, 2 minutes?! Not worth it!"
    I have to say, I think Healthier_Me hit the nail on the head....unless your P. Anderson and R. Jeremy filming a really LONG scene....your probably not getting much of a true work out.:happy:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Personally, I don't log anything that isn't above and beyond what I used to do anyway, such as shopping, extra curricular actiivities with my hubby, etc. I figure if I wasn't at my target weight before when I was doing those things, why should I count it now. Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong?????
  • Healthier_Me
    You know what, that's so true julie.
    Never thought of it that way.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    I agree Julie! I thought if I am not losing much weight only logging my exercise calories, how would I benefit from logging EVERYTHING else I do and in turn having to eat more????

But I do log in some other things, like healthier_me said- very heavy cleaning, mowing the lawn...that sort of thing.
  • tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    what a great way to look at it julie. I hadn't thought of that.
    I used to use the fitday.com site. They actually had things like sitting reading, and doing dishes and such. I thought that was hilarious and great. While it is interesting to see just how many calories we actually burn in a day...it is the extra ones that will contribute to our "loosing" battle.
  • sturge161
    sturge161 Posts: 37 Member
    Personally, I don't log anything that isn't above and beyond what I used to do anyway, such as shopping, extra curricular actiivities with my hubby, etc. I figure if I wasn't at my target weight before when I was doing those things, why should I count it now. Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong?????

I agree also. I feel that if I do something above and beyond my normal day then I earned the right to eat more calories.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    How timely! You all should enyoy this little tidbit then...

Although I go to the gym before work Tu-Fri mornings, I also try to get to the gym with my fiance 2-3 times a week after work. Yesterday, while we were driving to the gym, I mentioned that my monthy visitor was gone and that we were free to pursue "extracurricular" activities later that night. He then pulls over, as if to turn around and exclaims that we could just get the calories burned that way and forget the gym! "HA" I told him....... "If you can assure me that you will keep my heart rate in my target range for 45 minutes, you can turn the car around!".....

We went to the gym....
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    lleanak... that is so funny. Your post cracked me up... and created a lot of discussion in my work place :laugh:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    lleanak:
    This is hilarious! Thanks for the laugther so early this morning!:laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Lol! 45 minutes? There isn't enough baseball highlights
    in the world for that! :laugh:
  • How timely! You all should enyoy this little tidbit then...

Although I go to the gym before work Tu-Fri mornings, I also try to get to the gym with my fiance 2-3 times a week after work. Yesterday, while we were driving to the gym, I mentioned that my monthy visitor was gone and that we were free to pursue "extracurricular" activities later that night. He then pulls over, as if to turn around and exclaims that we could just get the calories burned that way and forget the gym! "HA" I told him....... "If you can assure me that you will keep my heart rate in my target range for 45 minutes, you can turn the car around!".....

We went to the gym....

Funny! You are a very talented writer!:smile:
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    lol, funny post.

Remember when you set your goals on this site it asked what your activity level was. That presumably adjusts your daily calorie total accordingly.

So, I'd think you'd only add excercise for things that put you out of that daily activity level. I choose my activity level as sedentary (because of my job), so if I mow the lawn today I'd say that counts as excercise. However, if I had a job that was more physical like a waitress or mailman then my acitivity level would be moderately active and I would say mowing the lawn on the weekend wouldn't count as additional excercise above my stated activity level. It's all about getting those formulas of how many calories you burn correct.
  • charley078
    charley078 Posts: 48 Member
    shopping is an exercise.... 2 hours of continuous movement (a day @ the mall, no stopping or sitting for long periods of time- the only time u should sit is if trying on a pair of shoes, cause that should only take 15-45 seconds) can burn up to 250 calories...after learning this, I wore my pedometer/calorie counter to the mall, in 3 hours of shopping, I burned over 400 calories.... and it didn't feel like exercise cause you are doing enjoyable......