I've never ever had....

Replies

• moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    I could fill a page of things that I'll never have again but as I read the posts I'm thinking, "nope, had that. had that too. ohhh I looove that."

let me see...

I've never had lamb and don't intend to (love the baby sheepies alive thank you), never had venison (feel the same way about the deer) but I did try veal once...not worth the guilt.

now as for those of you who don't like seafood....I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay and until you've picked a steamed blue crab and gotten seasoning and gunk under your nails...you have not lived!
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    I never ever ever had oisters, raw or cooked, and don't intend to try it. It is so gross
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    I could fill a page of things that I'll never have again but as I read the posts I'm thinking, "nope, had that. had that too. ohhh I looove that."

let me see...

I've never had lamb and don't intend to (love the baby sheepies alive thank you), never had venison (feel the same way about the deer) but I did try veal once...not worth the guilt.

now as for those of you who don't like seafood....I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay and until you've picked a steamed blue crab and gotten seasoning and gunk under your nails...you have not lived!

oh oh! have you ever had one of those seafood stew things that aren't really stew but are crab & shrimp & lobster boiled with corn and potatos with this tea bag thing full of seasonings? OMG to DIE for! I had it once as a kid and my uncle called it "Chesapeake Bay Stew"

i do have to disagree on the lamb & venison though, rack of lamb with mint chutney is my dad's Easter specialty and is fantastic, and fresh grilled venison is sooooo good, like a cross between chicken & beef... yum!
  • moujie
    oh oh! have you ever had one of those seafood stew things that aren't really stew but are crab & shrimp & lobster boiled with corn and potatos with this tea bag thing full of seasonings? OMG to DIE for! I had it once as a kid and my uncle called it "Chesapeake Bay Stew"

i do have to disagree on the lamb & venison though, rack of lamb with mint chutney is my dad's Easter specialty and is fantastic, and fresh grilled venison is sooooo good, like a cross between chicken & beef... yum!

YES! Seafood boil - yum! anything with crab in it is good as far as I'm concerned! my all time fav will totally gross some people out - softcrab! love it! legs and all. ugh, they're out of season now...:cry:

and lamb might be good tasting but I just can't go there. It's why I don't eat pork either and I used to LOVE pork...but I have an affinity for the little piggies. what can I say.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Oh, the country folk who grow and raise your store bought food? I think we are the civilized ones. Towering apartment buildings full of cockroaches and noisy rude neighbors all hours of the night don't sound civilized to me.

signed, Barbarian and proud to feed the world
    Wow...you just said "don't judge" when you just judged yourself on "country folk".... pretty low if you ask me....

Hey now don't be so touchy, I meant it as a joke, seriously we were talking about eating bull testicles... thats pretty gross! Honestly while I grew up just outside the big city but spent my summers split between split between my grandparents South Carolina building houses for Habitat for Humanity with side trips spent working my cousin's dairy farm in Kentucky, I'm not some snobish city girl, oh and until the snows come and the farmers close up their stands my food isn't store bought, I buy my produce directly from the farmers growing it, and my eggs & beef are bought year round direct from the farmer who raised them.

you are redeemed! Support your local farmer!
  • Nikiki
    YES! Seafood boil - yum! anything with crab in it is good as far as I'm concerned! my all time fav will totally gross some people out - softcrab! love it! legs and all. ugh, they're out of season now...:cry:

and lamb might be good tasting but I just can't go there. It's why I don't eat pork either and I used to LOVE pork...but I have an affinity for the little piggies. what can I say.

Oh cool I figured it had a normal name :smile: I have never had softcrab... you really eat the legs? hmm... I dont know about that...

I will say that I can't eat anything that I saw alive, so I never order lobster from red lobster, and the guy I get my beef from (he's a coworker) I saw his cows once and had major issues with it... I don't go see them anymore... same with venison, I could never hunt because I'd have to see it and so I'd never be able to eat it... I have some friends who hunt and share with me, but I wont listen to their stories... I dont want to know what my dinner was doing moments before you shot it!!!!!!!!!
  • Nikiki

i :heart: my local farmers!! I have a HORIBLE black thumb, without my local famers I would go hungry for sure :bigsmile:

also I work with my beef & egg supplier... he wouldnt be happy with me if I bought STORE meat... he swears its evil... I believe him...
  • moujie
    Oh cool I figured it had a normal name :smile: I have never had softcrab... you really eat the legs? hmm... I dont know about that...

I will say that I can't eat anything that I saw alive, so I never order lobster from red lobster, and the guy I get my beef from (he's a coworker) I saw his cows once and had major issues with it... I don't go see them anymore... same with venison, I could never hunt because I'd have to see it and so I'd never be able to eat it... I have some friends who hunt and share with me, but I wont listen to their stories... I dont want to know what my dinner was doing moments before you shot it!!!!!!!!!

yes you eat the legs - the icky stuff (stomach, intestines, lungs) are cleaned out and the face cut off so all you're really eating is crab meat and shell...which, as the name says, is soft! it is so good. dredged in a little seasoned flour and sauteed - some places batter and deep fry but that's too much I say. I'm a purist.

I feel ya on the can't eat what you've seen alive. I have to say that you're last line, [/quote]
    ... I dont want to know what my dinner was doing moments before you shot it!!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]
    has me cracking up thinking of that scene in my cousin vinny where Merissa Tome is yelling at Joe Pesce about going deer hunting...too funny!!
  • Nikiki
    lmao! I haven't seen that movie in FOREVER! loved it :happy:

ok excuse the ignorance but I get that its a soft shell... but isnt it still... shell-ish? its not hard to chew or anything? or is it closer to the shell on shrimp?
  • moujie
    lmao! I haven't seen that movie in FOREVER! loved it :happy:

ok excuse the ignorance but I get that its a soft shell... but isnt it still... shell-ish? its not hard to chew or anything? or is it closer to the shell on shrimp?

no it's considerably softer than a shrimp shell. when the blue crab grows it sloughs it's hard shell (que the oceanography elementary school filmstrip background music) the "new" shell is really more like skin. they have to be harvested and prepared (not necessarily cooked just killed, cleaned and refrigerated or frozen) right away or they start to harden after just a few hours. now if you ever try one and it's hard to bite through...that is what we call a paper shell... and it's not a good soft crab.
  • Nikiki
    no it's considerably softer than a shrimp shell. when the blue crab grows it sloughs it's hard shell (que the oceanography elementary school filmstrip background music) the "new" shell is really more like skin. they have to be harvested and prepared (not necessarily cooked just killed, cleaned and refrigerated or frozen) right away or they start to harden after just a few hours. now if you ever try one and it's hard to bite through...that is what we call a paper shell... and it's not a good soft crab.

interesting... I wonder if any of my local seafood restaurants make it... or is it one of those things that I'll never truly know what its like until I eat one fresh from restaurant that sits on the bay? :wink:
  • moujie
    interesting... I wonder if any of my local seafood restaurants make it... or is it one of those things that I'll never truly know what its like until I eat one fresh from restaurant that sits on the bay? :wink:

well you sort of need to be near the bay to get it fresh - I have had it out of town before and I was not impressed. mind you I've had it in town and not been particularly impressed either (too hard or battered and deep fried). so if you see it give it a shot!

happy friday!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Ah - soft crabs.

In the season, the crab fishermen watch their catch for "Busters" - crabs showing the signs of being near molt. These are set aside.

Busters are kept in floating crates (worker wading among them in hip boots) until they show more molt sign and become "peelers". Once they're peelers they are segregated, one animal per crate. If a peeler loses his shell among the other crabs they'll pick him to pieces before he get the shell all the way off!

Once they peel (molt, shed, whatever) they are removed from the salt water and placed on ice. This needs to be done immediately, a softy becomes a papershell in no time.

This is why they're so expensive. Some poor schmuck out walking crates, all day and all night (pants-pocket deep in the Chesapeake bay, and night, with a flashlight - try it) watching crabs. The labor-mahour costs are what get ya'.

I don't even like them. Hehehe,,, :laugh:

Casper, from Poquoson Virginia
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member

i :heart: my local farmers!! I have a HORIBLE black thumb, without my local famers I would go hungry for sure :bigsmile:

also I work with my beef & egg supplier... he wouldnt be happy with me if I bought STORE meat... he swears its evil... I believe him...

Allllrrriiight I guess I could retract my statement:wink:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    ewwwww to the crab talk :laugh:

oooh ya forgot about lamb, i've never had that either, or any real gamey stuff either other than moose once...

never had emu...but would like to try it lol
  • Nikiki
    ewwwww to the crab talk :laugh:

oooh ya forgot about lamb, i've never had that either, or any real gamey stuff either other than moose once...

never had emu...but would like to try it lol

oh! there's a restaurant somewhere by me that I've heard has ostrich steaks & burgers! I've always wanted to try them... I'll have to see if I can find out where...
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    I've never had Sushi, I would like to one day preferably sooner rather than later. Also Red Velvet Cake it sounds good just saying Red Velvet Cake. Oh well one day.
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Never had almond milk, but sure would love to try!!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member

Let the church say AMEN! Crab season is the highlight of my year and a crab night isn't complete until you've cut yourself and gotten Old Bay in it! :drinker:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    I've never had:

Big Macs
    Oysters
    Ostrich meat (although I am interested in trying the burgers)
    French or Thousand Island dressing