Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

BMR Calculator

mmoranmmoran Posts: 4Member Posts: 4Member
The BMR calculator should include an activity factor or at least clarify that it gives you a resting energy expenditure. Any active person will tend to burn/need much more calories.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php

Replies

• mmoranmmoran Posts: 4Member Posts: 4Member
    The BMR calculator should include an activity factor or at least clarify that it gives you a resting energy expenditure. Any active person will tend to burn/need much more calories.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php
  • sanlin20sanlin20 Posts: 73Member Member Posts: 73Member Member
    mmoran:
    MFP's BMR Calculator page clearly states, "BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours." So, what makes you think MFP needs to further clarify that BMR is a 'resting energy expenditure'?

The tutorial on caloriesperhour.com says that daily calorie needs is calculated by multiplying BMR by an activity factor. I believe that is exactly what MFP does.

Mike has stated his wish that the BMR and BMI calculator tools of the other websites not be promoted here. I hope you are not doing that.
  • mmoranmmoran Posts: 4Member Posts: 4Member
    Okay okay, I didn't read the paragraph under the tool when you go to select it. You're right it doesn't need clarification.

I was just thinking the BMR estimate could be relatively useless if it doesn't include the activity factor. But again, you are right, that's what MFP itself does.

I knew my nutritional goals going into MFP, so I didn't have it suggest my caloric intake for me (I chose "Custom Goals"). I never made the connection that this is what MFP does and why it is such a great service.

I meant no disrespect by mentioning another BMR calculator, I was only trying to show what I thought (wrongly) was a potentially useful feature.