Teacher support Group

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I could use a little advice from the special ed teachers in the group. I teach high school math in a small school, only 7 teachers. The "new" special ed teacher ( she taught here before, but quit because she wasn't happy, then came back when she lost her job) is requiring me and the language arts teacher to attend nearly all the IEP meetings whether or not the students are in our classes. The previous special ed teachers didn't make this requirement. These meetings are held Monday afternoons, when no classes are held. The other teachers attend when the students are in their classes, otherwise they are free to use the time for prep.

I am one of the few who enjoys attending these meetings when I know the student involved, because I can participate in the discussion and provide input. The problem lies with the students I don't know. The special ed teacher will ask me for an opinion, which I don't have, or advice, which I can't give. I often feel and sound like an inept teacher who doesn't care about the student.

The question: What is the special ed teacher expecting from me? I have asked her over and over and the only answer I get is she needs my "expertise." She won't explain what that means.

The language arts teacher and I tried to negotiate with this teacher last spring, so that we wouldn't have to attend so many meetings where we didn't know the student, but this year is business as usual. All the agreements we made were tossed out the window.

If I'm understanding this correctly- you're being asked/required to attend PPTs for student you do not service? If that's the case I think that's unethical (possibly illegal?) at the very least since PPTs are full of confidential information. I know there are issues within my district because I'm the Director of an After School Program that is school-sponsored (not sponsored by the YMCA or Boys and Girls club or anything), but since I do not "teach" the students during the school day (although I do teach them after school) there has been some opposition regarding me attending PPTs for legal reasons.

Could you speak to either your supervisor, or hers, and tell them how you don't feel it's necessary and that you actually feel uncomfortable attending? Even if they say no, at least you've made your discomfort and your feelings in general known in case anything ever becomes of it- this way your behind is covered.

I don't know if I helped- I hope so! :flowerforyou:
  • Roguerivergirl
    Roguerivergirl Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks for your help. My principal finally agreed to meet with the language arts teacher and me when I threatened not to attend anymore meetings until I got some criteria in writing. I went to the meeting with my thoughts on the students' welfare. I want, in writing, how my presence will benefit the student. The principal felt that was reasonable. He is going to sit in on the next month of meetings. He is the principal of two schools and I'm afraid ours gets the least amount of his time. At the end of the month, he will determine if our presence is necessary and if it is he will write the criteria.

About the legal aspect, from what I have read and understand about Oregon law, all that is required is at least one teacher attend the meeting and that teacher doesn't have to have that child as a student. It is the district that "prefers" a language arts teacher and a math teacher be present at the IEP meetings.

We'll see what happens in a month. Meanwhile, the special ed teacher is suddenly being very polite and cordial, though she hasn't apologized for humiliating me at the last IEP meeting.

Needless to say, it has been a very stressful two weeks. My ed assistant was ill last week, which put me behind, then this incident left me pretty exhausted. Managed to stay on the diet better than expected, though I'm sure I didn't lose any weight. We have a 3-day weekend and I can sure use it.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    WOW!!! Is everybody getting this busy already????

My district had this idea that all the classes in all the school in all the county should be covering the same lesson on the same day at the same time.

Guess what???? They just changed their mind and recinded the initiative when this month's school board meeting had over 1,0000 parents and teachers show up to voice their opinions about it.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Hey there!!!

My district is trying to go to the same lesson, the same day thing too...EXTREMELY UNREALISTIC!!! I think these people need to try teaching in the classroom, and then tell us that this would be a good idea.... UH!!!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    My class was absolutely nuts this week. They are mostly active busy boys, but my goodness. They're more than a handful!
  • Mickie17
    Hang in there! The holiday breaks are coming to the rescue soon! I have more issues with parents than the students. They need to let go and understand that in academics, not everyone wins a trophy for JUST showing up to class...they actually have to cross the finish line.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I was just thinking the same thing. I always find that once Halloween arrives, it's a sprint all the way through to New Year's... and time flies! We only have 1 full week of school in the entire month of November :drinker: It's the hap- happiest time of the yearrrrrrrrrrr! :laugh: (Besides the last day of school! :laugh: )
  • LifesPilgrim
    One Eagle Scout Project done this weekend!!!!!!!

He just needs to finish two partial merit badges and he's done!!!!!

It was so much fun, just 10 of us on a barrier island for the whole night, spiders and strange bugs galore!

Not much trick or treating this year, we were all too tired, which is great for the diet.:laugh:
  • Hey there!!!

My district is trying to go to the same lesson, the same day thing too...EXTREMELY UNREALISTIC!!! I think these people need to try teaching in the classroom, and then tell us that this would be a good idea.... UH!!!

ours is doing that too....uggh...it is so ridiculous. We just found out they will bw writing our ELA lesson plans for us next year. Why did I bother with school.......they could teach anyone to dance and sing.
  • Mickie17
    Here, unfortunately, was my Facebook status for the day:
    Today was a Cap'n & Coke kinda day...before 10:30am!! (Of course, I had to wait until I got home, but...you get the picture)! PARENTS!!!! PLEASE DO NOT HOVER OVER YOUR CHILDREN, YOU ARE NOT HELPING THEM IF YOU DO THIS...THEY NEED TO LEARN TO BE ACCOUNTABLE...THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO WILL BE TAKING CARE OF US WHEN WE ARE OLD...(of course, I do not ever plan to be old, but still)!

(Anyone looking for a Corporate Trainer? I will be available in June).
  • Mickie17
    Then I got this reply, FROM MY OWN SISTER!!! They just don't get it, do they???? UGH!!!!

Sorry Mick - I was a hovermom today. It is almost like you were watching me... But it was the last day possible to have him turn in work so he could get a passing grade. I gave him 3 weeks to do it. And I was thinking I would rather be a hovermom for a day then be in another meeting with many teachers, principals and psychologists........ So really, I was trying to save the teacher time. Does that sound a little better or do I owe you a six pack of coke and a bottle of Capt Morgan?
  • LifesPilgrim
    Six pack of coke and a bottle of Captain always upstages good intentions!!! :drinker:

My group this is year has got to be the biggest bunch of babies. I had a kid call her daddy yesterday from school complaining that I wouldn't let her go to the bathroom. We have lunch before class, and she was choosing to run around the cafeteria instead.

I haven't called dad back yet. Will keep you posted on that one.
  • Mickie17
    Six pack of coke and a bottle of Captain always upstages good intentions!!! :drinker:

My group this is year has got to be the biggest bunch of babies. I had a kid call her daddy yesterday from school complaining that I wouldn't let her go to the bathroom. We have lunch before class, and she was choosing to run around the cafeteria instead.

I haven't called dad back yet. Will keep you posted on that one.

I sooooooooooooooo hear ya sista!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    I made a discovery today. Every week my band students turn in practice reports that have to be signed by parents. I didn't start them until October so they've only turned in 3 or 4. I have one student who has turned in all 3 (2 with extra credit on them). When I was enterring the latest one into the computer today, I looked at the signature. I thought that either this mom had really sloppy handwriting for an adult female, or he was doing a poor job forging her signature.:grumble: (Of course, it's taken me a month to notice, so that's kinda on me.:ohwell: ) After talking with my principal (CYA), I called mom. She had seen the email I sent about the practice slips, but had never seen one.:noway: She was not at all thrilled that her son was forging her name. I did manage to catch the student before he got on the bus, and asked him point blank who had been signing his practice slips. After thinking for a minute, he finally admitted it. So points for not lying once he was caught. He knows that he'll have zeros for all of the forged slips, and that his mother is now aware that he's supposed to be practicing every week.

The bright side to all of this, mom did not try to cover for him, lie, or equivocate. She said that he'd tried something similar last year with another teacher, and he knew the consequences. She said that they would be having a discussion tonight. I would've paid to be a fly on that wall!

I thought that this story might brighten the day of those of you who have been commenting about your parents babying the kids. I have plenty of those, but I must say that I :love: the parents like this! I'm pretty sure that he won't try it again anytime soon. Now to go through and compare signatures on all my other practice slips:frown: , since I'm pretty sure that he's not quite bright enough to come up with this on his own!
  • Mickie17
    I made a discovery today. Every week my band students turn in practice reports that have to be signed by parents. I didn't start them until October so they've only turned in 3 or 4. I have one student who has turned in all 3 (2 with extra credit on them). When I was enterring the latest one into the computer today, I looked at the signature. I thought that either this mom had really sloppy handwriting for an adult female, or he was doing a poor job forging her signature.:grumble: (Of course, it's taken me a month to notice, so that's kinda on me.:ohwell: ) After talking with my principal (CYA), I called mom. She had seen the email I sent about the practice slips, but had never seen one.:noway: She was not at all thrilled that her son was forging her name. I did manage to catch the student before he got on the bus, and asked him point blank who had been signing his practice slips. After thinking for a minute, he finally admitted it. So points for not lying once he was caught. He knows that he'll have zeros for all of the forged slips, and that his mother is now aware that he's supposed to be practicing every week.

The bright side to all of this, mom did not try to cover for him, lie, or equivocate. She said that he'd tried something similar last year with another teacher, and he knew the consequences. She said that they would be having a discussion tonight. I would've paid to be a fly on that wall!

I thought that this story might brighten the day of those of you who have been commenting about your parents babying the kids. I have plenty of those, but I must say that I :love: the parents like this! I'm pretty sure that he won't try it again anytime soon. Now to go through and compare signatures on all my other practice slips:frown: , since I'm pretty sure that he's not quite bright enough to come up with this on his own!

Now that is "music" to my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!! :)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Today I got a note from my forging student apologizing for lying to me, and promising to never do it again!:bigsmile: Hopefully he sticks with it!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    I'm brand new to mfp and I am a teacher! I would love to join this group and get/give support to fellow teachers. We need all the help we can get these days!

207063.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Welcome!
    :flowerforyou:
    I love this month - we have Wednesday off & then 2 days for T-Day!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    I always say, if we can make it 'til Hallowe'en... the rest of the year flies by! LOL
  • LifesPilgrim
    I hope everyone enjoys their Veteran's Day today.

Support hte Troops!