Kombucha

Options
DevotedWife
DevotedWife Posts: 29 Member
Do you drink it? Make your own? Interested in making your own? What are you favorite flavors?

In case you've never heard of it, I'll give a brief description. Kombucha is a fermented drink with a tea base in which a culture or mushroom like specimen is placed. It's actually a type of healthy bacteria and yeast thing. Don't be put-off by that as I was for quite awhile. It is said to have healing and detoxifying benefits.

I first read about this fermented drink in "Ani's Raw Food Essentials". It seemed really weird to me, but years later it's not so weird anymore. I am interested in making my own. I finally purchased two bottles a couple of weeks ago. One was GT's Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha in Original and the other was Kombucha Wonder Drink in Asian Pear & Ginger. Both were delicious, and l loved the little fizzy kick that I sometimes miss from sodas. I'll be buying some more soon since it's recommended as part of the 15-Day Fat Blast; plus it's delicious (like I "said" before). I really would like to brew and flavor my own because it would be way less expensive in the long run to do so.

Replies

• babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not Necessary
    Get or make your own Sauer Kraut! !
  • DevotedWife
    DevotedWife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree that neither kombucha or sauerkraut are necessary, but eating cabbage and drinking tea are two different things. Yes, both are fermented and sources of probiotics, but I'm asking if anyone in this group drinks kombucha.
  • Scarletfire1970
    Scarletfire1970 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do. It is expensive so I am trying to make my own. I found a recipe to make my own mushroom and am in the process of doing that now. I love the stuff.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lived in Japan who introduced me years ago to Kombucha tea (the word 'cha' in Japanese actually means 'tea' so the Japanese call it Kombu cha) which I like and drink now and then. I've been seeing the bottled product you describe in health food stores and have been curious about it. Now that I know more of what it is, I'm going to try it out. Thanks!
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in making it but for now am paying out the wazoo a couple times a week for a bottle of GTs. If you make some yourself, let us know how it goes!