Coffee doesn't wake you up.

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I'm anti people who say they're anti people who say they need coffee to wake up.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    it was coffee or meth...

I think I chose the right one...

Why choose just one?

11.JPG
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Coffee to combat sleepiness:

"Adenosine, an adenine molecule attached to a ribose sugar, is continuously created while humans are awake.  As humans stay awake longer, more adenosine is created and fills the adenosine receptors in the brain (7).  As increased numbers of these receptors are filled by adenosine, nerve cell activity is slowed down and drowsiness increases.  However, when caffeine enters the body, it also binds to these adenosine receptors. In addition to leaving fewer receptors open for adenosine to bind, when caffeine binds to the adenosine receptors it actually has the opposite effect of adenosine; it speeds up nerve cell activity (7).  When the body’s regulators notice the abnormal increase in brain activity, the pituitary gland responds as if there is an emergency and begins to produce adrenaline, which increases heart rate and blood sugar levels (7). In addition to increasing alertness and reducing sleepiness, the increased nerve cell activity and higher adrenaline levels impact human cognition (5)."
    http://dujs.dartmouth.edu/fall-2010/caffeine-and-naps-the-fight-against-sleep-deprivation
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    I use the "Oh, didn't get my cup of coffee this morning" excuse when I do something really stupid, because that will usually get a laugh; Whereas saying "Oh, sorry, I'm clumsy and dumb like this all of the time" just gets a bit of an awkward titter at best.

Also, there is something about just sitting and sipping on a cup of coffee that makes a person feel better. It isn't so much the caffeine that gets us centered, in a good mood, and ready to function. For me, it is the taking ten minutes to myself to enjoy a very tasty hot beverage. And, of course, nothing gets you feeling great for the day better than a nice "flush."
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Did a search - no dice so I think I'm in the clear for posting this.

Coffee doesn't wake you up - that early morning cup just reverses the effect of overnight withdrawal - according to a study.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1283421/Coffee-does-NOT-wake-Its-mind.html

eer yeh should probably say I'm really anti people who say they need a coffee to wake up or just have coffee for 'breakfast'. :oP

oh yeh, should also say I'm not a fan of addictions.

Out to change the world, are you? Give it all you got..............
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member

Coffee doesn't wake you up - that early morning cup just reverses the effect of overnight withdrawal - according to a study.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1283421/Coffee-does-NOT-wake-Its-mind.html

eer yeh should probably say I'm really anti people who say they need a coffee to wake up or just have coffee for 'breakfast'. :oP

i have no problem with people drinking a lot of coffee; i used to do so myself. i believe my peak consumption was in the 12 cups per day range.

i ditched caffeine in 2010, and now drink decaf. though i'm just one data point, i would have to say that i feel no less awake than i did when i was drinking real coffee and energy drinks all of the time. i've found the best way to stay awake is to go to bed at around the same time every weeknight, and to get as close to 8 hours of sleep as possible. i do realize that for many, it can be difficult to do this given the demands of daily life.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    I don't know if you could call it waking me up, it does however keep me from committing capital murder.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    I have read that before. All I can say is, after almost 2 years of not having a decent nights sleep, coffee is the only thing that keeps me from being a raging b!tc% all day. I only have 1-2 cups a day (1/2 coffee, 1/2 milk), and im certainly not addicted, but tea just doesn't get me moving in the morning.

Better than heroin, I suppose!:tongue:
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    One study does not a fact make.

You don't like coffee that's your bag. But there's a study that supports nearly any claim- coffee is good for you, coffee is bad for you, coffee is indifferent, aliens made coffee to disable and confuse us, etc.

By and large, it doesn't matter. I want coffee. I have coffee. You don't want, don't have.

I like this... I give it two points
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Coffee? I start my day like this...

Whiskey-glass1.jpg
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member

You don't like coffee that's your bag. But there's a study that supports nearly any claim- coffee is good for you, coffee is bad for you, coffee is indifferent, aliens made coffee to disable and confuse us, etc.

By and large, it doesn't matter. I want coffee. I have coffee. You don't want, don't have.

It was the aliens, right? Aliens make all points more believable. Or more fun.
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119

Good for you. I don't really care what you're "anti", but thanks for your input. Might want to look for some advice that's NOT from the bloody Daily Mail, though.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Sorry, I don't believe this and I have given up other things in my life like smoking cigarettes. Coffee and caffinated beverages is the one addiction I keep around. As someone who works full time and is also a college student, coffee and caffinated beverages help keep me going. No one is prying my cup of coffee out of my hands without a fight.

Besides Coffee is delicious and is something my husband and I enjoy together.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Coffee_1.jpg
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    the world is not ready for me without my morning coffee.
    Yes, i'm addicted. And i'm not ashamed. Just try to take away my coffee, see what happens....
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Coffee to combat sleepiness:

"Adenosine, an adenine molecule attached to a ribose sugar, is continuously created while humans are awake.  As humans stay awake longer, more adenosine is created and fills the adenosine receptors in the brain (7).  As increased numbers of these receptors are filled by adenosine, nerve cell activity is slowed down and drowsiness increases.  However, when caffeine enters the body, it also binds to these adenosine receptors. In addition to leaving fewer receptors open for adenosine to bind, when caffeine binds to the adenosine receptors it actually has the opposite effect of adenosine; it speeds up nerve cell activity (7).  When the body’s regulators notice the abnormal increase in brain activity, the pituitary gland responds as if there is an emergency and begins to produce adrenaline, which increases heart rate and blood sugar levels (7). In addition to increasing alertness and reducing sleepiness, the increased nerve cell activity and higher adrenaline levels impact human cognition (5)."
    http://dujs.dartmouth.edu/fall-2010/caffeine-and-naps-the-fight-against-sleep-deprivation

Yeah, see this is from Dartmouth, a reputable university. The OP's "evidence" is from The Daily Mail, a tabloid that is disreputable, even for a tabloid.
  • kittyfrost
    kittyfrost Posts: 54
    it was coffee or meth...

I think I chose the right one...

Why choose just one?

11.JPG

Breaking Bad :heart:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Believe what you want. All I know is, up until a few years ago I NEVER drank coffee. I still don't drink it on the weekends or days when I don't have to work. What got me started drinking it was I worked a job that required me to be up at 4:30-5am (I am NOT an early riser). After a couple of months of that, I was having a hard time staying awake at work. I was literally falling asleep at my desk...still clicking my mouse while unconscious. So one morning, after catching me dozing off, a co-worker went and got me a cup of coffee from the McDonald's next door. An hour later I was wide awake and actually getting some work done. I think, if you have more than one or two cups a day, then it becomes ineffective. However, if you drink only one or two cups first thing in the morning, it can still perk you up a bit. Also, if it doesn't rev you up, then how can it be addictive.

Edited to add: I certainly don't drink coffee because I like the way it tastes. :sick: BLECH!! If I didn't experience a noticeable increase in my energy level after drinking it, I wouldn't keep drinking it.
  • light_shimmer
    light_shimmer Posts: 118 Member
    My boyfriend tried to get me to stop drinking coffee when we first got together because "It's bad for you". I resisted. Finally, I was tired of him yakking about it so I went without for a few days, while I was staying at his house. Now he makes it for me in the mornings. Apparently I'm much nicer when I get my few hits of caffeine to start the day. >Duh<

Granted, I drink much less of it now than I used to, and that's a good thing. I was up to a few pots a day on some days, and having stomache problems. Now, I found a balance between just enough and ouch. About three cups'll do me. An addiction, yea, but whatever. I'm ok with it.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member

It was the aliens, right? Aliens make all points more believable. Or more fun.

That is what was found at area 51.... Coffee