Music while Exercising

jkandktmom
jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
I'm a newbie so if this has been asked a thousand times I'm sorry. I always find that when I listen to music I exersice longer. I need to find more good upbeat song to put on my Iphone.

What songs do you listen to when you are working out? Does it make a difference what you are doing as to what you listen to- ie walking is one kind of music, weight training is another.?

Thanks! And friend m3e if you want- I can use all the motivation I can get!

Replies

• neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    bump

I want to create a playlist for my C25K. I've been using Fit radio and I don't like it.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Well it definitely depends on your music taste... as a runner, I would say Foo Fighters are the best to run to... but I listen to my favorite artist, Kid Rock, more than anything...
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    I've got a few walking and running mixes on my ipod with music ranging from punk to rap to rock and even some country.

A lot of it depends on my mood. For a while, I just played Green Day's American Idiot album. Other times, I've played some folkier stuff.

If I were to offer up some suggestions, I'd go with:

To start - Lose Yourself by Eminem - great for while you're lacing your shoes and heading out to the street or getting ready for a workout
    For some old school energy - 911 is a Joke by Public Enemy
    For an even older school blast - Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin
    For that mid-run gear change - Aside by The Weakerthans
    For when you're just pounding along - I'm Shipping Up to Boston by Dropkick Murphy's
    Because country music can keep the body moving - Bloody Mary Morning by Willie Nelson
    For when your cooling down after a good run - Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen

What can I say? My tastes vary.
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    green jelly.........great for hitting the zone
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    i usually do dance music that really pumps me up lol...it all depends on your taste though. I would recommend 8Tracks because its a free app that has pre-made playlists so all you would have to do is choose something like "workout" and there's tons of lists you can listen to and like your favs.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Metallica!!! You just cannot beat the testosterone-laden voice of James Hetfield when you need a boost to your workout! It really does make a difference! I never listen to any songs by females in the gym, it just doesn't work for me.

Foo Fighters
    Ludacris
    Black Sabbath

However, if I am doing cardio, I always listen to a podcast called "Stuff You Should Know" from howstuffworks.com. It keeps my mind engaged and interested instead of looking at the clock every couple of minutes, counting down till it's time to go. bonus: I learn TONS of neat stuff. Nerdy? Yes, yes I am. :glasses:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    http://jog.fm/

This sight is great for finding cardio music to match your pace. Enter your jogging OR walking pace .... it gives you a list. You can then narrow by genre
  • rocakes
    rocakes Posts: 44
    I like to jam out anything that motivates me... right now I plan on listening to some Biggie Smalls on my walk... But last week it was all about Florence and the Machines - Ceremonials!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    I usually just turn on one of the workout stations on Pandora.
  • jkandktmom
    i usually do dance music that really pumps me up lol...it all depends on your taste though. I would recommend 8Tracks because its a free app that has pre-made playlists so all you would have to do is choose something like "workout" and there's tons of lists you can listen to and like your favs.

I added this app! I'm going to try it out right now. Thanks!!
  • jkandktmom
    http://jog.fm/

This sight is great for finding cardio music to match your pace. Enter your jogging OR walking pace .... it gives you a list. You can then narrow by genre

Very cool just checked out this site too!!