New and nervous! 100+

Hello all,

I've had my MFP account for awhile, but I kept forgetting to log in and eventually lost track of it. I decided to start up again as, well, I've been having a few bad weeks, and I want to start taking control of my life.
Maybe I should say a little about myself? I'm 20, starting Uni in September and I am really shy and have no self confidence whatsoever. Weight has ruled my life ever since I can remember. I've always been put down because of it, always been made to feel I'm less of a human. And no one likes that feeling, and I think I change turn my life around. Well, I hope. I currently weigh 266 lbs and I'm 5'5' 1/2 and I think the healthy range for my height is 143 lbs, so I need to lose 123 lbs? Which is really scary, I've only worked it out!

Anyway, I'm rambling! Hope to see some of you guys around, good luck! x

Replies

• Hi and welcome violavi! :) I can't want to see you reach your goals!
  • collywot
    collywot Posts: 16 Member
    Go for it, don't let it control you, and enjoy the change, it's not as awful as you might think. Come on over, the food is fine :))
  • Hey there! :) I had a really bad streak when I started and now I do it everyday! It'll become a wonderful habit for you soon enough! :)
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Hey there gal, congrats on your start at university. Concentrate on your studies and your health and let the other worry about themselves. This is all about you. set your self some healthy eating habits and an exercise program, which may be only walking to classes the long way instead of taking shortcuts, every step counts. Don't look ahead, live in the moment and the day and don't look back. Set your self small goals, like this week I am going to lose one pound, next week I will try two pounds, which by the way is a healthy way to lose weight slow and steady. Fad diets and fasting won't keep the weight off.

Those who make fun of others have something they are afraid of or ashamed of so they ridicule others. Believe in yourself and as the it is said in some of the more famous children's books like the litte train going up a hill "I know I can, I know I can , I know I can. Well we kow you CAN!

Looking forward to seeing your progress. By the way my girlfriend who weighed 322 and is 5/5" has lost 100 pounds, she looks and feels great and loving life and so can you.
    196355 Posts: 4 Member
    hi well done you for taking the first steps dont think about how much u have to loss set your targets to 7lb a month before you no it you will be reaching your goal good luck in your progress we are here to help !!!
  • ama1978
    ama1978 Posts: 6 Member
    im back again too! :wink: new today, feel free to add me i have no friends to help me yet!:blushing:
  • Hi :) Welcome back. I've only been a member for just over a week but I'm really glad I joined. I have a similar amount of weight to lose as you. It seems quite daunting but we can do it :) Add me as a friend if u like.
  • PatriNina
    PatriNina Posts: 154 Member
    I started at 275 lbs :grumble: ,same height as you are, 8 months later i`m 217lbs:smokin: it's hard, it's going to take a long time :frown:
    But it is going to be the best thing you`ve ever done :flowerforyou: , just don't let little bumps or obstacles stop you, every day is a new one, and you can do better than yesterday!

Welcome back and good luck :drinker:
  • allsmall
    allsmall Posts: 16
    Hello!

I am more than keen to gain a friend who also has a lot to lose! I started at 256lbs a year and a half ago, then stopped altogether at 223lbs then joined here! Thank god!!! I need direction. I am the same height and so have the same goals so if you need anything drop me a message as I haven't got any friends on here since i started using MFP a couple of weeks ago!

:) xx
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Hello all,

I've had my MFP account for awhile, but I kept forgetting to log in and eventually lost track of it. I decided to start up again as, well, I've been having a few bad weeks, and I want to start taking control of my life.
    Maybe I should say a little about myself? I'm 20, starting Uni in September and I am really shy and have no self confidence whatsoever. Weight has ruled my life ever since I can remember. I've always been put down because of it, always been made to feel I'm less of a human. And no one likes that feeling, and I think I change turn my life around. Well, I hope. I currently weigh 266 lbs and I'm 5'5' 1/2 and I think the healthy range for my height is 143 lbs, so I need to lose 123 lbs? Which is really scary, I've only worked it out!

Anyway, I'm rambling! Hope to see some of you guys around, good luck! x

I am 5'7 and I started at 262lbs at the end of January. I am now at 232lbs (plateaued for the majority of may). My first goal is just to get down to around 180, and then I'll re-assess my goals from there. But 180 would be lovely. :)
  • kkstill
    kkstill Posts: 14
    Hi would love to add you as a friend. Sounds like we are in the same boat. before starting mfp I had lost 52 lbs from 261-209. I hit a platuea so I joined mfp to jumpstart my wieght loss. I have similiar goals. Ultimately would love to get to 150 (I'm 5'1") so still have over 50 lbs to go. Good luck and dont every give up.
    Kim
  • CazLovesCalories
    CazLovesCalories Posts: 144 Member
    I am 5ft 7, and I started at 266lb. I am now 205.5, and my goal is 162lb.

It IS doable. Feel free to add me if you need support :)
  • violavi
    violavi Posts: 21
    Thank you guys!

You have made me feel less scared to take this journey! You are all so loving, good luck to all of you! <3

I've tried to fad diets, all of them under the sun, even some of the more 'dodgy' ones. My mum and sister are currently on the dukan diet keep pushing me to go on it, and making comments about my food habits. It's really frustrating. I even tried that maple syrup and lemon diet? I spent so much on the canister on it and couldn't even drink it!

I've also tried those 'magic diet pills' that never seem to quite work. Even bought some over the internet, which, when you look at it, seems really silly. They could of put anything in them! And they were expensive. But I suppose the allure of quick weight loss has stopped us all in our tracks once in awhile.

I think my main problem is I'm seeing weight loss as a quick thing, not a long term goal. I've always seen it like that, BUT I'm starting to change my thinking on this!
  • wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    First off congrats are starting both of your journeys, school and weight loss. I too struggled most of my life with my weight, and although ive lost quite a bit, i still have my off weeks. Currently i am coming off a few down weeks after a couple injuries, so im starting pretty fresh this week. Im here to help motivate, but also will need some motivation in return.

as far as your weight loss goals. Try and set small goals. Looking at the totla loss may seem overwhelming, so try and set mini goals maybe 10 lbs at a time, this should help to keep u motivated and appreciate all your small success. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Feel free to add me.
  • tamlynne32
    tamlynne32 Posts: 38
    I feel the same as you! I have always been a big girl and it has held me back from so much! I am really tired of it, I want to be happy with myself and not hold myself back from things cause I am afraid of what people will think of the fat girl doing it, if that makes sense! Anyway I am going to add you now! I think we all need as much support as we can through this!
  • Stinaa91
    Stinaa91 Posts: 199 Member
    you can do this! mostly everyone on this site is SUPER supportive and it really help. :] good luck on your weight loss journey, and don't ever give upp
  • joymechelle99
    joymechelle99 Posts: 16 Member
    You can do It! I started at 325 and am now at 194....its a slow steady process with lots of ups and down just be consistent and stick with it. When I first began I could barely walk 1/3 of a mile now I am able to do the treadmill for 60 minutes straight at 3.5mph and the incline 14-15 lol....now thats a burn. Add me as a friend.
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    You can add me if you like. I've been logging consistently for 90+ days now. Like you I started MFP a long time ago, and just used it here and there. But now I'm committed to this journey.
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Congrats on your new journeys!!! That's so awesome to hear people making the initiative to bettering their health; it gives me an instant boost of motivation. It'll be a steady process as long as you're consistent. Good luck to you & congratulations again!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

18816219.png
  • Welcome to the site, and i wish you the best for the future! You will achieve it!