Camping/bbq recipes

Pinknspooky
Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
I am going camping in a couple of weeks and am keen not to fall off the wagon while there and faced with BBQ, Pastries and Beer - so I am after any good camping recipes/ideas especially for the BBQ

I currently have my citrus chicken

1 chicken breast (sliced)
1 lemon - juiced and zested
1 cup fresh orange
2 tsp runny honey
1 tsp soy sauce

Pour all the ingrediants into a freezer bag (or goot quality sandwich bag) chuck in the chicken and tie up the bag securely - give it a good shake to makes sure all the chicken is coated and then shove in the fridge for upto 24 hours

Take out the chicken and pop on the BBQ until cooked - is also great cold for salads

but am on the hunt for alternatives if anyone has any tasty suggestions which will travel well in the cool box!

Replies

• I am looking for the same receipes. Lets hope someone has some good receipe ideas for us!
  • Turkey burgers are always good too!
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    kabobs are always a favorite of mine
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    steak, hamburgers, turkey dogs, fish...
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    you can try foil packs, prity much anything that can be cooked in the oven (like a casserole) can be made as a foil pack, I tend to just throw a bunch of items together but there are lots of recipes online.

A few weeks ago, I pealed and cut up a bunch of carrots into sticks, mixed in some seasoning then wrapped it in foil and tossed in the oven, I also pealed and sliced some potatoes, mixed a packet of korr dry pesto mix with some water then mixed it with the potatoes, that one I put in a covered glass casserole but it can also be done in a foil packet.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Fruit kabobs, veggies & hummus, drizzle some olive oil and lemon over veggies and grill <--my favorite!

Also, skinnytaste.com has an entire grilling section! There are tons of great recipes there! My favorites are the banging shrimp and the spicy black bean burgers.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    You can literally put almost anything in tin foil and cook it over a campfire! I would suggest:
    Corn on the cob
    Onions, squash/zucchini
    Sweet potatos
    Salmon fillets

Also if you bring a cast iron skillet you can have eggs, or beans and rice, etc!
    Have fun!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    I usually make kebobs for the longer camping trips. Chop up chicken or beef, onions, bell peppers & zucchini, toss in a large bag or watertight bowl with whole small mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and light italian dressing. This can marinade for up to a few days, then when you're ready to cook, skewer them up and grill until done. Serve with baked potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked in the coals.

You could also take some chicken sausages, like Aidell's. BBQ chicken breasts are easy and delish too. We typically freeze our meats before placing them in the cooler, so that they will help keep all the other foods cold.

For breakfast, instant oatmeal works well - you can make it using the same water you boiled for coffee. We usually make pancakes, which are fine as long as you don't eat too many, and don't drown them in syrup. You could also pack a container of frozen egg whites and have those for one or 2 days.

Have fun!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    The frozen fish filets that are sold in individual vacuum-packs inside a larger bag are awesome for camping. (Look in the frozen seafood case, which is often near the fresh seafood counter. Frozen tilapia and salmon are usually the least expensive, but you can also find tuna, trout, swordfish, all kinds of fish!) Pack them in your cooler straight from the freezer, and bring some seasoning and aluminum foil so you can cook them in foil packets on the grill.

If you scrub some potatoes ahead of time, they are also easy to wrap in foil and bake on the grill, or if you have a campfire, you can bury them in the coals to cook!

Other things I like to take camping: hard boiled eggs, yogurt, couscous (the kind with the seasoning pack is a super-easy side dish), hummus with carrots and other veggies to dip, nuts....
  • Pinknspooky
    Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
    Some yummy ideas there thanks guys - think I might be fighting people off my items and shouting let them eat stodge! :laugh: :devil:
  • Alygoo
    Alygoo Posts: 2
    I just got back from a week in the woods and I made this recipe a couple days before we left to bring along. It was delicious, healthy and pleased everyone, even my non dieting friends (surprisingly).

I froze it in a pyrex to help ice the cooler then just reheated it when it was time to eat. Super Simple

Recipe says serves 6 but I found it to make much more, so it might actually have a lower calorie count.

Crock Pot Veggie Chili
    http://www.food.com/recipe/grannys-slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-51140