size 16/18 unsexy?

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    I went into a underwear store and picked out a corset. It was size 20, and I'm an 18 (uk sizes) The only other size they had was a 14.
    I asked the shop assistant if they would get any 16/18 sizes in store because I was interested in buying them.
    She had this to say.
    "I'm sorry but we don;t reorder those sizes because they arn;t very sexy."

Erm.. Thanks?

I feel really upset about this, and I don;t know what I should do.

Am I over reacting over this?

No, you're not over-reacting. She essentially said you weren't sexy. I'd call the store and ask for the manager. Explain that the sales person, and the store if they agree with her, are mistaken. MANY people find 16/18 women sexy, and 16/18 women want to buy sexy underthings like anyone else.

BTW, from you profile pic, you look plenty sexy to me. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    In her own awkward, insensitive way, she was just speaking the truth as she sees it.
    That's why we're here losing weight.
    Just let it go and move on, knowing that you are doing what you need to do for your health.
    Stupid people will say stupid things.
    We're bigger than that.

It isn't her job to speak her opinion. It is her job to get the customer the product. End of story.

EXACTLY if she was asked what she thought then that's fair enough put she was asked why, and the answer cis there not sexy is crap as, 1) sexy is a varied opinion 2) they had size 20,do it shows the flaws in the reasoning.

People like that get me soooooo mad.
  • EWWWW what an idiot of a human being. Go back, complain and get loads of free stuff, also on leaving give her the finger shake your hips out of there!!!!
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    I say you give all of us the website and we ll do on-line complaints.........

What a horrible thing to say! She should be fired.

Yeah she should! Who cares if she has a family to feed or a retirement to fund... she hurt your FEEWINGS!

She should be fired because she is a terrible sales person. I would if I owned the store.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    In her own awkward, insensitive way, she was just speaking the truth as she sees it.
    Just let it go and move on, knowing that you are doing what you need to do for your health.
    We're bigger than that.

It isn't her job to speak her opinion. It is her job to get the customer the product. End of story.

EXACTLY if she was asked what she thought then that's fair enough put she was asked why, and the answer cis there not sexy is crap as, 1) sexy is a varied opinion 2) they had size 20,do it shows the flaws in the reasoning.

Believe it or not, LOTS of people don't find plus size people sexy. Maybe that IS the reason they don't stock it.

Would it have been better and the OP less offended if the sales lady had used a euphemism? "I'm sorry, we don't carry HUSKY sizes... PLUS sizes... sizes for those more girth impaired (or non impaired, as the case may be?)

Sounds like a case of butthurtery, and while I understand that since I am a large lady myself, I cannot fathom trying to get someone fired over a stupid comment. How old are we here?
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Go back a couple times until that person is working again...ask for the manager and tell him/her exactly what their emplyee said, IN FRONT OF THEM, and see what happens. Tell them how it made you feel and that you were very offended.

And, yeah, they ahve a size 20 but not 16/18?!?!? WT-Heck is up with that?!?!?!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    You should go back in there with about 3 gorgeous corsets in the size you want and ask if she works on commission.

Bonus: Name that movie and you get free hugs forever! :bigsmile:
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    When I was a 16/18 there were some things that my hubby thought I looked sexy in. I've seen many stunning sexy women in all different sizes. No way would I have left that store without making that bit** cry. Stand tall cuz you are sexy and beautiful. It's all in how YOU feel in YOUR skin. When you feel beautiful, others will see you as beautiful. Some people just need to get out of the gene pool.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    We're bigger than that.

Believe it or not, LOTS of people don't find plus size people sexy. Maybe that IS the reason they don't stock it.

Would it have been better and the OP less offended if the sales lady had used a euphemism? "I'm sorry, we don't carry HUSKY sizes... PLUS sizes... sizes for those more girth impaired (or non impaired, as the case may be?)

Sounds like a case of butthurtery, and while I understand that since I am a large lady myself, I cannot fathom trying to get someone fired over a stupid comment. How old are we here?

I think people FEEL she should be fired but it is ultimately the store manager's choice. People should be allowed to complain if they have had a bad experience in a store or have you never complained about something when you were dissatisfied?
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Before or after you punched her in the face?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Tell them that Marilyn Monroe was around that size. And she wasn't sexy???????????????

Marilyn Monroe was like the equivalent of today's size 6/8...
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    You should go back in there with about 3 gorgeous corsets in the size you want and ask if she works on commission.

lol...I was thinking somewhere along those lines too. Buy some from somewhere else and take them to her and her manager with the receipt and shove it in their faces and walk out. lol
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    This reminds me of one time my MIL (probably around an 18 US at the time) went into Victoria's Secret to buy something for her sister (a US 4 or so). She was looking through the racks when a saleswoman came up (unsolicited) and told her that they didn't carry anything in her size in store and she'd have to shop online. My MIL was, needless to say, very hurt and embarrassed. Not enough that she didn't tell the girl that she was shopping for someone else, but after that she was taking her business elsewhere.

Someone really needs to train these people better...
  • So she should lose her job because she doesn't think that size is sexy and made the mistake of being honest? I agree she should be a little more professional.

I don't think it's sexy, either... too bad you can't get me fired for it. I sure hope she doesn't have any kids depending on her paycheck for food...

I would hope that if she did have children depending on her paycheck for food that she would be a bit more mindful of how she did her job so that she wouldn't risk losing it. In any industry, but most especially the lingerie industry, tact is necessary or you will lose your customers. Losing customers because you can't keep your personal opinion to yourself is not what employers want. So should she lose her job because she doesn't think a size 16/18 is sexy? No. Should she lose her job because she has no idea how to operate in the customer service industry? Yes.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    How RUDE! What store/shop was this in? you should defo complain in writing witht he time and date and describe or name the person wo said that to you, their job is not to comment on sizes but help you find what you are looking for. The average size in the UK is 14/16, thats why it was prob sold out lol. but yeah ignore her opinion if your that size and you feel sexy (which you should do) don't get disheartened by her ignorant comment!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Wow, that woman should not be in customer service or sales! Don't take it personally she is obviously an arrogant @$$hole...

My friend who is a bigger woman (probably a size 18 US size) was shopping at a store called "Garage"...she was shopping for Christmas gifts for family. As she was browsing the aisles the floor associate approached her and said in a pretty loud voice: "I'm sorry, but you won't find any sizes in this store that will fit you."

WTF? Some ppl really need to learn to shut their mouth. Even if my friend WAS shopping for clothes for herself, what is it to the associate?? Don't they want a sale?? They could be a little more polite. So rude....
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    I say you give all of us the website and we ll do on-line complaints.........

What a horrible thing to say! She should be fired.

Yeah she should! Who cares if she has a family to feed or a retirement to fund... she hurt your FEEWINGS!

Your no better
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    I went into a underwear store and picked out a corset. It was size 20, and I'm an 18 (uk sizes) The only other size they had was a 14.
    I asked the shop assistant if they would get any 16/18 sizes in store because I was interested in buying them.
    She had this to say.
    "I'm sorry but we don;t reorder those sizes because they arn;t very sexy."

A number of years ago, I went in Victoria's Secret in the US, and asked for a 36C bra, the assistant said "OH, we don't put THAT size out on display". My response.... "so, you are saying, you don't ACTUALLY cater for women who HAVE breasts, just the itty bitty committee?" That was over 10 years ago, and never walked in one of their stores since. I make a point of telling all my girlfriends to not shop there. If people need ironing board covers, then that is the place to shop.

Weird. I've always been at least a C all the way up to a DD and never had a problem at VS. I had a little more trouble finding cute stuff when I was a DD, but even now at a 36D I don't have trouble there. They don't put the larger sizes on the mannequins because your standard mannequin is tiny. In fact my bra (a 36D strapless) and undies I'm wearing right now are from VS.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member

lol...I was thinking somewhere along those lines too. Buy some from somewhere else and take them to her and her manager with the receipt and shove it in their faces and walk out. lol

I love Pretty Woman!