How do I stop eating 6,000 calories??

Replies

• Gooberis
    Gooberis Posts: 1 Member
    My goal right now is 1530 calories, it is possible if you choose the right foods. Also, if you find the time to go for a brisk walk or perform some other excercise, it becomes more managable to be under the calorie goal.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    That sounds about right. Right now I am managing with 1360 a day. You just have to learn what foods are best and make better choices. Most of all, don't always try to eat until you are full, eat until you are satisfied, then move on. It's definitely a lifestyle change and you have to stick with it. One day at a time...you can do it.
  • georgiep84
    georgiep84 Posts: 13 Member
    yes it is definitely manageable- when i started i couldn't see how it was possible to only eat 1300 cals per day but i managed it and actually found it easy to balance day to day. Just keep updating your diary and be prepared to do a little exercise to help too. x
  • Nikoah
    Nikoah Posts: 21 Member
    I did not read through the whole list, but my suggestion is to PLAN ahead, if you know what you are going to eat tomorrow it is easier to do. Also - - be flexible if you are hungry grab some popcorn or carrots.
  • Runningchick11
    Runningchick11 Posts: 53 Member
    It appears that the OP has improved greatly over the week! Great job! It is very suprising how much calories can be in a meal. I've looked back at restaurant items I've eaten and am very disturbed by the amount of calories and fat in them! Some meals can be 1500 or more calories, plus if you throw an appatizer in there, and beverages, it all adds up. Again, great improvement, it is difficult!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Ok...as someone who struggles with binge eating...you have to determine what makes you do it...not just what foods to avoid or have less of.

There are several different opinions and thoughts in here and while they are all may have some validity, they may not "fit" your situation.

That amount of food is easy to consume when you are running around, or going through some sort of mental breakdown. Every situation is different. You just have to choose to want it to stop and really work at it.

I went from binging several times a week and now I maybe binge every couple of weeks, my worse one just a few days ago. In the process I got rid of 50 lbs but reteaching my brain how to tick correctly when it comes to food has NOT been easy so best of luck to you but never give up. It does get easier.

Oh yeah and eat all those better options, more water, more protein, exercise, and if you can afford it, seek therapy. ♥
  • NathanJ79
    NathanJ79 Posts: 36
    Okay, I'm not sure if, in 11 pages, somebody told you, but those values are way, way wrong. I'm looking at your food diary for Monday, the 18th of June. Some problems I'm seeing:

1. 2 slices of bacon is not 270 calories. The bacon I get is around 40 calories a slice. That's turkey bacon. I don't eat it often. I've had some real bacon that is around 60 calories a slice. That's Hormel Center Cut (less fat, more meat).

2. 2 ounces of cheddar cheese is not 240 calories. That's 1/4 cup if shredded which is about a quarter of that.

3. Your coffee cream is probably right. Try 1% milk, it's what I use. Whole cream in coffee is not good. Especially if you're a coffee-holic like me, haha.

4. 6 slices of smoked turkey breast is 180 calories? It may be, I'm not familiar with the brand. Walmart has a 98% fat free turkey breast, deli sliced, 4 or 6 slices (depending on the cut, it's the same amount, if it's 4 the slices are thicker) is 50 calories and it tastes great. Buddig makes 90 calorie packs of turkey (and other deli meats) and those give you a lot. That's what I prefer to use. 58¢ a pack at Walmart.

5. Minor gripe, but try the Arnold or Nature's Own sandwich rolls. They're 100 calories instead of your 180 calorie white hamburger bun. White hamburger buns are tasty (kinda) but the whole grain sandwich rolls hold up better, and if your burger tastes great, the "wheat taste" won't get in the way. If anything, it'll put more focus on the burger.

6. Cut out the mayo if you can help it. That s*** is liquid calories.

7. 1 cup cooked spaghetti is not 600 calories. Ronzoni heart healthy pasta is much less and tastes great (IMO, it does have a different taste, but I love it).

8. Classico pasta sauce is pretty good. Prego Light Smart is 50 calories a serving and tastes fine. It is a sacrifice to not use Classico, but I think it's doable.

9. Garlic bread, or any bread really, is going to be high in calories. If you can avoid bread you can go far. Ditto for heavy ales and stouts. Think of them as liquid bread.

10. The snacks, well, they speak for themselves. Goldfish crackers and Cheese Nips/Cheez-Its make a decent snack. They're not low calorie, but you get a lot for a little, so that's cool. Yogurt makes a great snack. Popcorn is pretty low-calorie. Cheat the butter by using the calorie-free spray from Parkay. My wife likes to add chili powder, cayenne pepper, and Cajun seasoning. It's a little hot, but pretty good.

Good luck!
  • Muskiecat
    Muskiecat Posts: 7
    The 6000 calorie thing is definitely due to eating too many refined or packaged products. Before you go to the grocery store you need to think "ingredients" and not packaged meals. Stay on the outer ring of the store and don't go down the aisles unless you need soap or something!

Only buy fresh or frozen produce, lean meats or fish, and minimal dairy. 2 servings of dairy per day is the recommended amount and many people just eat waaay too much. A serving of cheese, for instance, is one ounce. That's about the size of two dice. Meat should be 4 ounces or less, which is about the size of a deck of cards. Produce is what you use to fill up on as you would be so surprised how few calories they have. 2 cups of steamed broccoli has only 50 calories.

Our government also encourages us to eat whole grains, but the body processes grains the same as sugar. To minimize that, look for gluten free or sprouted grain breads. I like Ezekiels.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Once I add in my exercise calories and account for activity, I eat over 3000.
    You'll be just fine.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    When you eat processed foods , premade or fast food you will eat alot more calories to get ful. If you make food from scratch you can get full on alot less. Eating lean meats, fruits, veggies and dairy. You will be healthier and lose weight.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Okay, I'm not sure if, in 11 pages, somebody told you, but those values are way, way wrong. I'm looking at your food diary for Monday, the 18th of June. Some problems I'm seeing:

1. 2 slices of bacon is not 270 calories. The bacon I get is around 40 calories a slice. That's turkey bacon. I don't eat it often. I've had some real bacon that is around 60 calories a slice. That's Hormel Center Cut (less fat, more meat).

2. 2 ounces of cheddar cheese is not 240 calories. That's 1/4 cup if shredded which is about a quarter of that.

3. Your coffee cream is probably right. Try 1% milk, it's what I use. Whole cream in coffee is not good. Especially if you're a coffee-holic like me, haha.

4. 6 slices of smoked turkey breast is 180 calories? It may be, I'm not familiar with the brand. Walmart has a 98% fat free turkey breast, deli sliced, 4 or 6 slices (depending on the cut, it's the same amount, if it's 4 the slices are thicker) is 50 calories and it tastes great. Buddig makes 90 calorie packs of turkey (and other deli meats) and those give you a lot. That's what I prefer to use. 58¢ a pack at Walmart.

5. Minor gripe, but try the Arnold or Nature's Own sandwich rolls. They're 100 calories instead of your 180 calorie white hamburger bun. White hamburger buns are tasty (kinda) but the whole grain sandwich rolls hold up better, and if your burger tastes great, the "wheat taste" won't get in the way. If anything, it'll put more focus on the burger.

6. Cut out the mayo if you can help it. That s*** is liquid calories.

7. 1 cup cooked spaghetti is not 600 calories. Ronzoni heart healthy pasta is much less and tastes great (IMO, it does have a different taste, but I love it).

8. Classico pasta sauce is pretty good. Prego Light Smart is 50 calories a serving and tastes fine. It is a sacrifice to not use Classico, but I think it's doable.

9. Garlic bread, or any bread really, is going to be high in calories. If you can avoid bread you can go far. Ditto for heavy ales and stouts. Think of them as liquid bread.

10. The snacks, well, they speak for themselves. Goldfish crackers and Cheese Nips/Cheez-Its make a decent snack. They're not low calorie, but you get a lot for a little, so that's cool. Yogurt makes a great snack. Popcorn is pretty low-calorie. Cheat the butter by using the calorie-free spray from Parkay. My wife likes to add chili powder, cayenne pepper, and Cajun seasoning. It's a little hot, but pretty good.

Good luck!

Excellent, useful, constructive, positive criticism. Thank you for posting something helpful. It is indeed easy to eat too much. Last week I got one of those new Bud Light Margarita cans at a baseball game - holy s**t, the whole can was 660 calories. NEVER getting that again!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Yeah.... wow. I don't know what to say, except that, you know... dorritos, peanut butter m&m's, large beer, chocolate chip cookies... none of this is real food and all of it is high calorie. Of course cutting this stuff out of your diet is possible so of course it's possible not to eat 6,000 calories per day.

Glad you're here. Good luck!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    The best thing to do is to start slowly and start with small manageable goals. Make a commitment to track everything--use MFP on a Droid, iPhone, or iPod. Or do the old fashion way of writing everything down. This is the only way to be 100% accountable. Start with small goals like tracking the calories on everything you drink, and if that's a lot of sugar-sweetened beverages, then start cutting them out. Cut down to a few a day, then eliminate them. Stay away from diet Coke and go with water or Vitamin Water. Stay away from certain sweetners and high fructose corn syrup as much as possible.

Next tackle the food you eat. Start cooking more and making substitution for what you eat or certain ingredients. Use less sugar, less cheese, etc. Eat a variety of fresh foods, and try to go organic if possible. Try to get enough fiber whether you add it in or eat a lot of vegetables that are high in fiber. This will help you eat less. Whole pasta is also a good way to cut portion size down.

If you try to cut everything out in one day, then you won't stick with your plan, and your body may become your enemy from shock. Once you start managing what you eat a little better, start exercising as soon as you can. This will also help your appetite in the long run. Once again, start slow with walking and build up from there. Try to find activities you like whether it's classes at the gym, hiking, or sports. Find a physical goal that you are passionate about, such as being able to run a 5k, have a beach body, being able to play a whole game of whatever without getting tired, etc. My personal goal is being able to ride and race motocross. So far, I've worked hard in gym classes to lose weight and get in shape for this. It's something that I love and desire to do. I hope this helps.
  • Richard323
    Richard323 Posts: 21
    It's crazy how fast the calories add up, the largest part of the human complex is that we've decided that we "need" this, "this" being the food we eat, when in truth, we do not at all. I will say that this is the hardest thing to do in life. I myself Was eating about 3,600 calories a day. Which is quite a bit, and I was weighing in at about 323lbs when I started. I'm now under 300lbs and eat about 1,800 calorie a day. TO eat that much calories your weight or activity is going to be very high.
    Others have shared the same advice I will. Start with 1-2,000 drop. Look to eat salads, egg whites, diet foods are okay at first but realize anything that says diet is loaded with chems, and sodium. However, for taking initial weight off high sodium isn't the worst thing but in the long run the goal should be to learn to eat what your body needs, not what you want, Eating regular foods in small portions is the goal. It's a process, that takes dedication, screw ups, blood, sweat, and tears.
    After your 1-2,000 calorie drop every few days or week take another 100-200 off. Work yourself down into the comfort zone of eating 1,500 calories a day. If you find yourself wanting to up to a 2,100 calorie diet start focusing on more excercise. Remember everything is excercise, from adult relations, planting a garden, taking kids to the park, swimming, walking, raking the yard, cleaning the house. It isn't just about going to the gym and killing yourself it's about living a full active normal life. I've been going for a few months now, and about 1-2 years with little to no results or dedication. I will say the first 60 days are the worst, if you can stomach your way though the first 60 days you can change your life, and your outlook towards it.
  • CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    Hello,

I am new to this. I put it in most of what I ate today and it is around 5,744 (I cannot remember everything) but this program says my goal should be 1,530.

Is this right? I know I eat more than some other people but is 1,530 really manageable? I am not very active but now I think I should start! Please feel free to send me any advice.

Well if I was you, i'd cut out about 2,000 calories and start there. Jumping that low makes no sense from your starting point. Over time decrease them as you lose weight.

^I agree 100%. You can't go from 6,000 to 1,500 in a day. Gradually reduce or else you'll go crazy!! Btw I still think 1530 is really low... you seem like someone who would benefit from the group Eat More to Weigh Less here on myfitnesspal. It has worked well for me and countless others. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight!!

Agree with both comments here.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Eat small meals/snacks every three hours. Make sure there is protein in each. Walk, walk, walk and work up to working out... if you're not already.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    It looks like you're on the right track. How has the past 4 days of sub-2000 calories felt?
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member

If you took the time to look at my diary, I think you would notice that there's only like 3 meals in there and a bunch of drinks and snacks that I ate throughout the day. It's not like I'm shoveling in thousands of pounds worth of food. Maybe you should become a competitive jerk... looks like you'll do well.
    I am training for the jerk Olympics as we speak!

But seriously, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

I have three meals a day (usually) and snacks as well and have a very difficult time breaking 2000 cals.

it's most definitely a problem. 6000 cals has shock value for a reason.
    This has to be a joke, who eats over 5,000!calories??

As someone who is brand new to this site and just starting my journey - I would hope all replies to people looking for support be supportive or left unsaid. Consuming 5000 calories is very realistic. Shifting down from that intake takes courage and stamina. Best of luck to you in your efforts! I am sure you can do it! At first it might not be 1500 calories but don't lose heart or confidence in yourself!!

nice =/= supportive
    shocked =/= unsupportive
    honest feedback that this number is shockingly high =/= unsupportive

saying you can do it! good luck! will not teach a person self-control or impress upon them the seriousness of the situation they have gotten Themselves into.

Expressing the severity of it and explaining that this behavior cannot continue for the sake of their health is how a loving parent would handle it. But have a stranger say these same things and its suddenly counter productive.

Theres no excuse for 6K+

I like you. There's no excuse for sloth and gluttony and trying to persuade someone to make the choices that shouldn't even be choices is ridiculous.
  • nysgyrl
    nysgyrl Posts: 18
    Yes it is manageable but it will be hard for the first couple of weeks or even months! Found low or no calorie foods -- like PICKLES (Dill, kosher!) to cut the hunger but not eat calories! DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I know You can do it! I am going through a similar situation! So, if you ever need support feel free to contact me! :flowerforyou:

Blogging also helps!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    I understand how 6,000 calories can be shocking to some, but it really is easier than you'd think, & no you don't have to be a morbidly obese competitive eater to do it. I logged a 7k day back in January, didn't intend to go that high really but I had given myself a free day. I know you're curious, so here you go:

Breakfast - a couple of breakfast burritos & coffee, 665 cals
    Snack - 3 donuts, 540 cals
    Lunch - Japanese buffet, 1741 cal (possibly overestimated, but who really knows with a buffet)
    Dinner - Bar food - chicken nachos, fries, & lots o' margaritas, 2035 cals
    2nd dinner (middle of the nite) - Soul food restaurant take-out, with dessert, 2097 cals
    Total: 7078

It didn't make me sick & I didn't binge eat or drink. I just happened to choose very calorie-dense items all day, & we sat at the bar all evening so I ended up nursing several margaritas & grazing, then grabbing more food on the way home. Surprisingly, it didn't interfere with my weight loss. I saw a 4 lb temporary gain the following morning, but it came right back off through the week plus an extra pound.

This was a very atypical day, since I started losing weight I rarely exceed 4000 calories even on spike days. But before I started caring what I ate, I probably had days like this at least once or twice a month. So PBPanda I'm sharing this to let you know I can relate to your situation. In my example, I ate 3 restaurant meals (& drank) & that was why my intake skyrocketed.

Nowadays I try to avoid eating at restaurants more than once in a day, & in general I limit restaurant food to weekends. That alone makes a huge difference in keeping the calories in check. Maybe there are some guidelines you can impose upon yourself to still have days you can live a little, but not hit 6k?

ETA: Nice to see the words "sloth" & "gluttony" associated with eating >6k in a day. Way to be supportive, people. I've run nearly 400 miles so far this year, & I will let my sloth-y marathoner friends know they should get their acts together too. SMH